• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Unofficial Official Newbie Welcome Thread

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes you should be able to do everything by switching to desktop mode, wish I had thought of that.

Oh and @"MCP" we have some new members for you to say hi to.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can someone explain to me the purpose of the buddy system here? Other than fulfilling my unquenchable desire to make lists??

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Can someone explain to me the purpose of the buddy system here? Other than fulfilling my unquenchable desire to make lists??

I don't think many if any actually use it. I don't. No offense meant to anyone who sends or has sent a request. I post and PM, and that's pretty much it.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't really used it either but I assume it's to provide you a quick easy way to find someone if you want to send them a PM, look at one of their threads, etc.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another newb question: How do I get new replies to my subscribed threads from sending me emails?  I like the alert system, but I don't particularly care for receiving five emails for five new replies to a single thread.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Handman said:
Another newb question: How do I get new replies to my subscribed threads from sending me emails?  I like the alert system, but I don't particularly care for receiving five emails for five new replies to a single thread.

Click your name at the top. Select "User CP"from the dropdown I think? It'll be in there somewhere.

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frank your Majesty said:
Hello. Some of you might know me from OT.com, now I'm here, too.

TM2YC said:
Handman said:

Click your name at the top. Select "User CP"from the dropdown I think? It'll be in there somewhere.

I've looked at the options, and have stopped myself from automatically subscribing to every thread I post in, but it doesn't seem to have changed the threads I've already subscribed to.  I suppose I will need to change each subscription separately.

Thanks!

bardo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello all. I registered some time ago and I have watched several fanedits since then, but it is my first post in the forums, with a newb question.
How can I review or rate a fanedit in the IFDB? It says "Login or register to vote", but it doesn't seem to be linked to my forum account, and I can't find any way to register or login there (IFDB).

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dustymetal01 said:
Hi, I'm new here. I've watched quite a few fan edits & I've decided to start doing it myself. Work I've done, but not released: 1) Recolor graded Jurassic World and reorder a few events so that the story flows more smoothly. 2) Added a deleted scene from the end of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. 3) Added deleted/alternate scenes from the third POTC film, this was tricky because of one scene where Governor Swann goes to stab the heart Bill Nighy can be seen in his motion capture suit, I simply cut him out and reordered the events so it seems like Lord Becket is the only one in the room besides Swann and Norrington. 4) I'm currently working on Dead Men Tell No Tales, I'm making Jack less stupid and taking out needless dialogue along with replacing it with more "Jack-ism" lines. Another thing is that I've cut out where the captain gives Jack his compass, it;s already been established that he bartered it from Tia Dalma, it seems like Jack already has possession of his compass. I've got a lot that I want to do. I may do POTC On Stranger Tides, add deleted scenes to the classic 1975 Jaws, color grade Jurassic Park like the 2013 3D release, I've got a few more ideas but they are ideas for now. Anyways, thats what I've done, I'm here to learn from you pro guys, and I look forward to asking questions and asking for advice and what you guys think of my edits once I release them. Thank you all in advance!!

That’s awesome! It’s a good community to be a part of and people are incredibly helpful with advice. Look forward to checking out your work!  :)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ryantology said:
dustymetal01 said:
Hi, I'm new here. I've watched quite a few fan edits & I've decided to start doing it myself. Work I've done, but not released: 1) Recolor graded Jurassic World and reorder a few events so that the story flows more smoothly. 2) Added a deleted scene from the end of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie. 3) Added deleted/alternate scenes from the third POTC film, this was tricky because of one scene where Governor Swann goes to stab the heart Bill Nighy can be seen in his motion capture suit, I simply cut him out and reordered the events so it seems like Lord Becket is the only one in the room besides Swann and Norrington. 4) I'm currently working on Dead Men Tell No Tales, I'm making Jack less stupid and taking out needless dialogue along with replacing it with more "Jack-ism" lines. Another thing is that I've cut out where the captain gives Jack his compass, it;s already been established that he bartered it from Tia Dalma, it seems like Jack already has possession of his compass. I've got a lot that I want to do. I may do POTC On Stranger Tides, add deleted scenes to the classic 1975 Jaws, color grade Jurassic Park like the 2013 3D release, I've got a few more ideas but they are ideas for now. Anyways, thats what I've done, I'm here to learn from you pro guys, and I look forward to asking questions and asking for advice and what you guys think of my edits once I release them. Thank you all in advance!!

That’s awesome! It’s a good community to be a part of and people are incredibly helpful with advice. Look forward to checking out your work!  :)

You know this post was from September, right?

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[/quote]

You know this post was from September, right?
[/quote]

Literally noticed it the second after I hit post. I apparently very much belong on the newbie support thread.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Literally noticed it the second after I hit post. Don’t know how I didn’t notice other than to say maybe I very much belong on the newbie support thread.  :)

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, I'm a real newbie. I love your work. I landed here by chance and can't seem to make myself want to leave.

Once I am able to pry myself away from my fascination and recover my teeth from the floor...I may take a break.

Currently working on a feature length, faster paced, more Booze and more Zep...harder rocking feature length version of Sharp Objects. Wish me luck. I'm using Vegas Pro and Adobe Audition.

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
Hey, I'm a real newbie. I love your work. I landed here by chance and can't seem to make myself want to leave.

Once I am able to pry myself away from my fascination and recover my teeth from the floor...I may take a break.

Currently working on a feature length, faster paced, more Booze and more Zep...harder rocking feature length version of Sharp Objects. Wish me luck. I'm using Vegas Pro and Adobe Audition.

I'd definitely take a look at that when you're all done! Best of luck with the edit!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ryantology said:
ArtisDead said:

I'd definitely take a look at that when you're all done! Best of luck with the edit!

I will be honored and grateful to have your feedback. Thank you for your kind consideration.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Welcome to the new kids on the block!
giphy.gif

LittleJohn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all,

Very much noob here. The thing is that I believe I created a great fan edit of the 90's version of Stephen Kings IT. I cut it down to 1hr45mins. It was 3hr12mins. So I cut out loads of bad effects, bad acting and storylines which did not make very much sense. I redid the score to get it closer to the Stranger Things inspiration I thought it was. Because when I rewatched IT a couple of months ago together with my big Stranger Things fan of a daughter we quickly found out it was not the movie I remembered IT was. So now I am ready to show it to the world and fanedit.org seems like te perfect place to do so. But it needs to run through the academy apparently. So how does that work. I tried to DM people mentioned in the FAQ. But with no succes. So please help!

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello @"LittleJohn" 

If you sent a PM to DominicCobb, you've done the right thing.  Just be patient.

In the meantime it's highly recommended that you start a project thread in the In-The-Works subforum.  Let people know what you changed, and consider posting some samples (via YouTube or similar streaming sites - download links are not permitted in the forum).  This will help generate interest in your edit and also potentially generate feedback on what is working and what isn't, both from a narrative and technical standpoint.  The more polished your edit is before you submit it, the better your chances of getting it listed.

Welcome to the site.

LittleJohn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great thanks for your reply. In the mean time it's I've got a reply from Dominic. I am completely done. And its really polished. So I am ready! 

TVs Frink said:
Hello @"LittleJohn" 

If you sent a PM to DominicCobb, you've done the right thing.  Just be patient.

In the meantime it's highly recommended that you start a project thread in the In-The-Works subforum.  Let people know what you changed, and consider posting some samples (via YouTube or similar streaming sites - download links are not permitted in the forum).  This will help generate interest in your edit and also potentially generate feedback on what is working and what isn't, both from a narrative and technical standpoint.  The more polished your edit is before you submit it, the better your chances of getting it listed.

Welcome to the site.

Top Bottom