• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Unofficial Official Newbie Welcome Thread

Hi @DigModiFicaTion :) I don't think I am confused about rules. I haven't posted any link to any edit. I wanted to post a screen cap of a small detail of a particular scene of a particular fan edit. I would hope that to be allowed, but I'm still getting the "I need to be an active user" error message, even though I registered here in 2020. I don't know what more I can do at this point.
If you follow the guidelines and become an active member you'll have the access you seek.
Quite honestly, I'm finding it a little too difficult when all I want to do is to be helpful here. I'm not spamming, not doing anything bad, just genuinely wanting to help. I could PM the post with the screen cap to you or to any other staff member so you can see for yourselves.
I'm not sure what the difficulty is. You simply have to be engaged at a certain level to get embedding privileges.
Not being able to post publicly, I have PMed Hal9000 about this, since he's the one concerned. But it's a pity, this deserved a public post, really.
All you have to do is be active, meaning engage in posting/replying to community members. It's not a pity to get clarification or to realize that there are conditions that will lead to what you want. We have a fair amount of people who create an account to simply request edits or drop them off. We focus on the community side which involves more than that. You can make public posts just like the one I'm quoting. If you make a post now, I or another staff can embed the picture until you are considered an active member.

Thanks for your help. I certainly understand.

I totally understand the rules of engagement. They make sense most of the time. They just happen to make less sense in some specific cases like mine. Imagine somebody wanted to inform (or to discuss with other members) about, I don't know, a glitch in a fan edit or something. He could just decide to not say anything and leave things that way, or he could choose to register here, post to inform people and try to help. But in that case he woud need to become "active" before he could embed anything, which would make the whole thing too difficult and probably would discourage most people from going any further.

People only wanting to help shouldn't be required to be active for that purpose. And maybe the Staff should be the judge of that of course. But that's only my opinion of course.

Of course PM would be the preferred way of informing the author about fan edit glitches. But if it's a subjective issue (e.g. a color grading issue, or the length of a particular scene, etc), then it would make sense to discuss it publicly and see what other people think. Which was my original intent.

Hal9000 has already replied to my PM, so I think I can take it from here. I honestly didn't think he would reply so quickly (or reply at all), so I'm positively surprised. Thanks again ! :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I certainly understand.

I totally understand the rules of engagement. They make sense most of the time. They just happen to make less sense in some specific cases like mine. Imagine somebody wanted to inform about, I don't know, a glitch in a fan edit or something. He could just decide to not say anything and leave things that way, or he could choose to inform people and try to help. But in that case he woud need to become active before he could embed anything. People who only want to help shouldn't be required to be active for that purpose. But that's only my opinion of course.

Hal9000 has already replied to my PM, so I think I can take it from here. I honestly didn't think he would reply so quickly (or reply at all), so I'm positively surprised. Thanks again ! :)
Why don't you just post in Hal's thread? The only barrier that I'm seeing is that you didn't post there. People who want to help are active members. It takes 5 posts and 30 days to become an active member. You have well over 30 days and probably have the necessary posts now. You most likely received your inactive member error because you were trying to post images, which aren't allowed until you are an active member. Again, just ask staff to embed them and we'll do that for you. Then when you have your 5 posts the privilege should be granted. Hal is a class act and very accessible. Glad you were able to reach them. Feel free to continue to publicly post in their project thread if you'd like to share your helpful insights.

That was the first thing I tried to do: I tried to post in Hal's thread, more specifically here: https://fanedit.org/forums/threads/9000-series-star-wars-episode-i-cloak-of-deception.9244/page-5

I got the "active" error several times, even after getting the 5 messages. So at that point I stopped trying. I could just have left the forum, but instead I decided to just PM Hal, thinking "it's a long shot", lol. But to my surprise he replied very quickly, so hats off to him.

Anyway, message received, thank you for your time and sorry about the ranting. :)

Hi All, been lurking for a while and joined recently so that I can become a more active part of the fan editing community and also submit an edit that's in the works. Looking forward to getting to know a few people and leaning some new skills too.

Hi, I would like to add a couple of images and a video an in the works thread, however I get error because I'm a new user. Wondered what the timeline is before I'm able to add links to my posts?

Really stupid question but how do I PM? I opened up a conversation but apparently that's not the same thing.

Hi, I would like to add a couple of images and a video an in the works thread, however I get error because I'm a new user. Wondered what the timeline is before I'm able to add links to my posts
Figured it out. I'm not an active user until 30 days after joining.

First you need to post it in the In The Works section. You'll get some previewers and someone to officially review it then it can be posted as an official edit after that process.

Hi, I thought i would introduce myself since I just joined this community!
I've been telling myself for years that i would have done things differently when watching movies, but it's only recently that I discovered that anyone could do something about it.
It can be daunting at first to take part in this community with the rules and warnings but I understand why they exist. There's one forum thread that convinced me it was going to be ok though. I suggest to everyone who wants to dive deeper to read the forum entry called advice-and-help-for-new-fan-editors.
all right then. I'm going to be watching your movies. Hope to chat with you in the future!

New member here, finally deciding to have a peek into a community I should have been a part of for years!

I guess my first fan-edit was a comedically abridged edit of Halloween II (1981). It was 2006 and I was using Windows Movie Maker, so other than editing out scenes, all I was really able to contribute was additional (inappropriate) music cues. The intention had been to improve the film but upon discovering the entertainment value of adding silly music, teenage me went down that route. It was quickly done and (copyright reasons aside) not worth sharing.

Anyhow, the subsequent years were spent primarily using DAWs and occasionally dipping into video editing both for bands I was in and comedy skits. This culminated several years back in my first "serious" Fan Edit project which is ongoing - not because the project is particularly huge (18 hours being reduced to approximately 9) but as I'm doing it with my brother, who doesn't quite have my insomnia-induced commitment to finishing things.

Sure I'll discuss this further alongside another project I've spent this month putting together elsewhere. But for the time being look forward to diving into this forum - and no doubt discovering everything I've attempted has been done already and better!

Newbie here! I've loved fanedits for a long time and lurked around plenty over the years. Only got meaningfully interested in making one myself in the past six months or so. I loved several edits I saw and I got a few ideas I wanted to try and here I am! Looking forward to sharing something that lives up to the quality of fanedits the rest of you guys produce!

Newbie here, been a fan of the movement for some time and had my first go at a fan edit of a trailer on YouTube...I wanted to share it with you all but it seems I'm not allowed to post links?

For any Terminator fans interested search for "Terminator 3: Connor's Fate (1996)" on YouTube - it's an imagining of how T3 would have looked if it were made in 1996! Hope some Terminator fans here might enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Newbie here, been a fan of the movement for some time and had my first go at a fan edit of a trailer on YouTube...I wanted to share it with you all but it seems I'm not allowed to post links?

Newly registered users are temporarily unable to share links. I've edited your post to include your trailer though :) welcome to the community

Hi everyone, new to this site

I'd like to ask, in the rules it clearly states I need to own the media to be able to make a fanedit, my question is how does this work?

Is there an authentification process? Do I send pictures of myself with the blu-rays I own or what :D ?

Back
Top Bottom