• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Two Sides of Every Movie: An Essay by Gaith

Despite the occassional trip to the realm of hyperbolics ("Had Lucas done it right, this movie would have been the absolute untouchable, all-time grossing movie in the history of film, and would remain so until ticket prices reach $50"? Really? Oh, I forgot quality is what makes big bucks, and that's why Citizen Kane is still the highest grossing film ever :D), I do tend to agree about The Phantom Menace having the best story out of the prequels, and not only that, I also think it feels the most Star Wars-y of all three.

It's still a big, stinking piece of shit, though. :p

Go L8wrtr!

If nothing else you did remind me that AOTC has by far the worst dialogue. No arguments there. I can see what you are saying from your vantage point of having edited each movie. Well argued. The basic story arc of TPM does play out the most as a traditional, self-contained "New Hope" style movie. But the way it actually plays out is like a bad version of Fellowship of the Ring instead of A New Hope. They go here. This happens. They go there. That happens. All the time reacting, getting lucky, reacting, getting lucky. It is a bit like watching a rat navigate a maze for 2 hours trying to find some cheese.

The reason it feels this way gets back to a kernel of truth that I think Gaith was attempting to pin down. Yes, his description probably over-simplifies things a bit. The only character transformation in TPM that has any bearing whatsoever on how events unfold is Padme's decision to take a stand on Corruscant. Not surprisingly, this is the point in the movie when I start to actually enjoy it (right up until Anakin in the hangar bay... the fact that Anakin would even come along on that very dangerous mission back to Naboo is absurd). Compare that to ANH in which every character other than Chewy (arguably even c3po) goes through some kind of transformation that affects the outcome of the story narrative. (Though for all we know chewy might have professed his gay love for Han and we just couldn't understand what he was saying).

There are few lessons I still remember from my college writing classes, but simply remembering the word "transformation" can get one a long way with storytelling. Imagine if the pod-racing scene was re-written so that Qui-Gon had taught Anakin a little jedi concentration trick and at a decisive moment in the race he focuses like he was taught, which causes him through purposeful action to win the race. Sound a little familiar to the end of "A New Hope"? Such a simple little thing, and yet your children would probably still be talking about that scene in 20 years if that was the way it had happened.

I agree that AOTC's narrative doesn't fit into the ANH narrative mold as well as TPM. Instead I would describe its mold as a love story (which it fails miserably at). Because the Phantom Editor was somehow able to salvage this component in his edit and re-center the story onto it, the movie now works overall. TPM, on the other hand, I don't think the Phantom Editor succeeded as well with because I just don't think there is enough there to string together. And the reason there isn't enough there to string together is because so little of the narrative ties into anything we can emotionally connect with. If George Lucas wasn't insane, a halfway decent screenwriter could have taken his draft, which certainly had potential and probably made it quite good without having to make any major plot changes. So from that standpoint I guess I agree with you regarding TPM. But as it is, there is very little for a faneditor to work with to create an emotional payoff for the audience.

That said, I will have to checkout your TPM edit. Maybe you will convince me otherwise!

Gaith said:
the only character who evolves, from total ignorant coward to battle-tested hero, is... gulp... Jar-Jar.
Lol. I forgot about Jar-Jar. I stand corrected. Padme and Jar-Jar do transform a bit. Padme definitely transforms in terms of going from a more passive response to her planet's distress to a more aggressive, active stance. In the beginning she is even hiding behind a prop queen.

L8wrtr said:
I tend to avoid this discussion because I quite simply think the premise of the article is mental masturbation.

:clap2:

TV's Frink said:
L8wrtr said:
I tend to avoid this discussion because I quite simply think the premise of the article is mental masturbation.
:clap2:

Aaaaah, but now that others have responded, have we not mental intercourse?

:-o

I'd argue that even Obi-Wan goes through a transformation of sort. At first he's set against having Anikan being trained as a jedi and, at least I think, represents the views of the Jedi Council. During the duel with Maul, once he takes up Qui-Gon's lightsaber he becomes more of the free spirited and open type of Jedi Qui-Gon was. As for Anikan...watch L8's edit and make up your own mind.

Back
Top Bottom