• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

THE TITANIC [Restructured] [V2 of the movie w/ focus on ship and passengers]

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE TITANIC
[align=center]

One of my absolute favorite movies. This is not a movie that need anything done. It doesn't need a remake. It doesn't need to be remade. It doesn't have many problems. It is an historical film with the liberty of adding a working romance into it to intruige its audience and connect them to the disaster that changed the world back in 1912, and still haunt us to this day.

So why do I do it? I do it because I want to make a kind of V2 version of the movie for those that feel like watching a more "disaster movie/suspense movie" side to the story, rather than the more romance-driven side of it. Focus more on humanity and passengers during the second half.

1. THE NARRATIVE
I want to focus on the story of the Titanic in 1912 - not the additional story set to 1997, and the sinking of the ship. I want to focus on the humanity. I want to focus on the brutality. And I want to put the tragedy in focus. I want us to see how the people - not just Jack and Rose, dealt with the disaster, and how the rich felt for the poor, and how the poor felt for the rich. There is so much kindness and humanity along with the brutality of this story, and much of it is in the narrative already - but overshadowed by the focus on Jack and Rose. And much of it is in the deleted scenes.

I want us to start with the beauty and luxurity of the Ship - just like the original, and the awe shared among all passengers. But I will focus much more on the ship and all its passengers as the tragedy unfolds, rather than keep overshadowing it by the love story of our two main characters. So instead of having Jack and Rose be the driving force and heart of the movie through all of it, I want the ship to be that emotional tool when the tragedy start to unfold, and Jack and Rose more as victims. So we expand the story into three parts in the second half;
1. Jack and Rose's story.
2. The Ship's continious sinking.
3. The people.

2. THE CHANGES BEYOND
As for the other changes that I will make, they will be fixes in form of;
1. Continuity.
2. Some digitial effects that might look odd will be fixed, or effects that might actually be missing from the scene (blood, lightning bolts, explosions) will be added.
3. Sound effects and music. The music is pretty much perfect - man i love the score, but I have one idea for an alteration during the sinking. As for the sound effects - they also are pretty much perfect. But I want to add some brutality at certain parts throughout the movie. I want it to feel very claustrophobic, like many of the third class passengers described the event.

3. ENDING
I might end the movie in 1912, on the Carpathia, or transition to 1997 (which might be featured in the ending segments of the movie). As of right now I feel like ending it in 1912, but It might not feel conclusive enough. We'll see.

And as always - give your ideas! Tell me what you don't like in the movie. Tell me of a fault you know (a blooper in the background, a missing digital effect, something that looks dated that I can (try) to fix).

Thank you all!

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CourtlyHades296 said:
This looks good. What happened to Ancient Lore?
Cheers.

Nothing happened to it? It is still my top priority, alongside this in-between. I always need to keep my focus on two edits, so that when I'm tired of one and need to renew my energy, I work on something else for a day or two, before back to it again.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gentle reminder that approved editors are limited to 4 active projects. You currently have 6. We'd ask that you focus your efforts on completion of current projects.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Gentle reminder that approved editors are limited to 4 active projects. You currently have 6. We'd ask that you focus your efforts on completion of current projects.
LOTR and PRISON BREAK are finished. Just updated the thread.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
LOTR and PRISON BREAK are finished. Just updated the thread.

Congrats on finishing both of those. Happy editing! :)

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

The movie's new opening. I struggled finding the most natural beginning to this edit - being 1912 instead of 1997, but I feel this to work really good.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will also be using footage from "Saving the Titanic", a 2012 film, to further develop what went on during the sinking. There will not be much from this movie - but enough to piece together vital information about the sinking.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

A preview. Notice the new and edited soundmix, soundtrack and exterior shot.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just to point out, are you aware that (long-retired) editor CBB already made a "Jack Cut" of Titanic, that also centers on the 1912 story? You might want to check that out before you complete your own edit. If only to avoid possible similarities (other than the edit outline) ?

Here it is.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kal-El said:
Just to point out, are you aware that (long-retired) editor CBB already made a "Jack Cut" of Titanic, that also centers on the 1912 story? You might want to check that out before you complete your own edit. If only to avoid possible similarities (other than the edit outline) ?

Here it is.
Thank you for pointing this out.

After checking it out - as well as having previously checked out many others, I am confident that my edit is not similiar to the others.

- Mine does not center on Jack, but Jack and Rose, although Old Rose is indeed removed.
- Mine has completely new scenes to better bridge the sinking with what's going on with the characters (self-made shots from other sources as well as from 2012 mini-series), self-created soundmixes and a lot of new soundtrack.
- Mine does not follow the original pacing and outline of the original movie (during the sinking).
- Mine focuses on all the characters presented in the movie, such as Fabriccio, Ismay, Molly Brown, the communication staff and even more from random passengers. Most of this from deleted material of course (as this is the only place to find material from the actors in the movie itself), and some altered, color graded and incorporated about other passengers during the sinking.

And mine is in HD 1080p - deleted and re-incorporated scenes as well, and not in DVD Quality.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CourtlyHades296 said:
How about integrating shots from A Night To Remember?
I have a better «source» in Titanic: The TV Mini-Series from 2012. Apart from a lack of color to the footage, it is pretty much perfect in its visual representation of the ship and similar to the cinematography of Titanic 1997. But the idea is the same.

A few, select interior clips from the mini-series has been used, but mostly four key exterior shots.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you plan on removing some of the more overt and/or slanderous historical inaccuracies, such as William Murdoch taking bribes and shooting passengers and himself, or the third-class passengers being locked behind gates?

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Do you plan on removing some of the more overt and/or slanderous historical inaccuracies, such as William Murdoch taking bribes and shooting passengers and himself, or the third-class passengers being locked behind gates?
Very good question.

1. I will keep Murdoch taking a bribe (which he later actually dispells), and I will keep him shooting Tommy - but it is now a complete accident, and he doesn't shoot one other and himself. Only Tommy. And then a completely regretful face on Murdoch - and end his story there. This because these scenes progress the story forward, and removing them would add confusion and/or lack of tragedy. I also feel that Murdoch (or any other for that matter) could be found to have shot someone by accident if it looked like an attack/a launch towards one of the officers. It is, from my part, a better reason to justify the inaccuracy.

2. The fact that they were locked behind gates is half-true. The gates were usually closed to not make 3rd class passengers interact with the 1st class passengers, so this was a routine. However, staff was unsure whether to open them up or keep them closed when orders were given to abandon ship, and therefore some of the doors were kept shut when they actually shouldn't have been.

So the movie does indeed portray it wrong, as there never were officers/staff standing there closing the doors and refusing people to go up. They simply just didn't open them when they should've, and therefore - as 3rd class passengers tried to escape - many of them found themselfs trapped.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Andreas said:
So the movie does indeed portray it wrong, as there never were officers/staff standing there closing the doors and refusing people to go up. They simply just didn't open them when they should've, and therefore - as 3rd class passengers tried to escape - many of them found themselfs trapped.

Do you plan to remove the officers intentionally locking the third-class passengers down during the sinking?

professorwho

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you heard of the mini-series "Titanic Blood and Steel"?

While I haven't seen it, it is about the construction of the ship itself. There may be some usable footage in there for this edit, though, with the 2012 mini-series, they are in 1.78:1 aspect ratio and need to be re-framed.

There are a ton of deleted scenes, and it seems you're utilizing them, but I really hope the Jack/Lovejoy fight is inserted.

Still, this looks like a fascinating project. I'll be interested in viewing when completed.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
Do you plan to remove the officers intentionally locking the third-class passengers down during the sinking?
I would if I could. But the scenes rely too much on suspense and story progress that removing them would leave a hole in the story building. Removing it would simply remove a lot of conflict and heartbreak, and suddenly leave our characters jumping from the E-Deck to the A-deck without anything in-between.
professorwho said:
Have you heard of the mini-series "Titanic Blood and Steel"?

While I haven't seen it, it is about the construction of the ship itself. There may be some usable footage in there for this edit, though, with the 2012 mini-series, they are in 1.78:1 aspect ratio and need to be re-framed.

There are a ton of deleted scenes, and it seems you're utilizing them, but I really hope the Jack/Lovejoy fight is inserted.

Still, this looks like a fascinating project. I'll be interested in viewing when completed.
Hey, brother. 

Yes, I have. The only footage worth using would be the launching of the Titanic in Belfast, but from where our movie starts such a shot would be redundant, as we start way after the launch in Southampton. It would be great footage for a prequel, but I'm not there. Hehe.

Thanks for the suggestion, brother!

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Andreas", I thought that you might find this video interesting, and maybe even useful for your edit.

Andreas

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[FINISHED]

This project is finished.
 I've released it over on OriginalTrilogy.com for some previews, and I feel confident enough about the project's release now.

If someone would bother to make a simple but nice cover art, I'd add you to the credits and be grateful. If not, oh well - one step at a time.

The edit can be requested over PM.

Thank you all for participating! :D

Top Bottom