• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Three Mothers Trilogy Boxset

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With my Inglorious Basterds Roadshow Version nearly complete, and my Blade Runner project beginning, I have an idea for not another fanedit persay. Over the past three years of so, I have recently come to develop an interest in Dario Argento's Three Mothers Trilogy. I immediately fell in love with these films, though Mother of Tears was a little disappointing compared to Suspiria and Inferno.

What I want to do is make a 3-disc Trilogy boxset that will have the best versions possible of all three films in one place instead of multiple releases scattered around different regions.

Mother of Tears will probably be easy since I already have a friend who's tracking down a copy for me. I read somewhere that Koch Media had a good release of Inferno, but I'm curious as to if this release has any color timing and audio issues among other problems that might need to be fixed.

The biggest problem would probably be Suspiria. I know a lot of people aren't trying to touch Suspiria because Synapse is doing a 4K restoration of it for BD, but honestly, there's no telling when this will even hit the light of day, and I'm kinda impatient when it comes to this classic. I've heard that there are no good copies of it out in the world, and the closest to a decent version was Dr. Sapirstein's Restored and Preserved DVD, which is no longer available, and I read somewhere that it was basically an upscale of the Anchor Bay DVD (which was my first experience of the film), which is kinda disappointing. I've also heard that the Japanese BD is actually a good copy, but I don't know anything about it. I also read that 84 Entertainment's Germany BD has the best audio source available.

It would be awesome if I could get some confirmations on any of this before attempting to gather the sources and create this lovely boxset.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Sapirstein 'Suspiria' is HD (HD-TV capture mixed with Blu-Rays???).

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I think the Sapirstein 'Suspiria' is HD somehow (HD-TV capture???).

I don't even know. I thought it was a HDTV capture too, but I read somewhere else (granted not from the Sapirman himself) that it was an upscale.

EDIT: There's still the fact that it has been discontinued, unfortunately.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do you already own the trilogy on DVD?

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Do you already own the trilogy on DVD?

I have the Blue Underground BD releases of Suspiria and Inferno, and the Dimension Extreme DVD of Mother of Tears.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you.
Not meaning to give you a hard time.

Have you contacted Dr Saperstein via his gmail address?

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No worries. Rules have to be followed after all.

I hadn't given it a thought, if I'm honest. I kinda figured if he pulled it from his site then there was no chance of getting it.

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A friend of mine ran me over a hard drive with a copy of Suspiria over after I told him about this project. The copy of Suspiria he provided was a BD rip downscaled to 720p with just a 5.1 soundtrack. I noticed there was ridiculously pink overtones, a lot of blown out highlights, and lobster faces. That was just the first 20 mins alone.

n5pji9.jpg

n2omc2.jpg

9ksd36.jpg

25gey5e.jpg

2mydowk.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm just going to purchase the Japanese BD from Happinet and switch out the audio with the audio options from 84 Entertainment BD, or I'm actually gonna try to upscale this copy here and try to recolor it. It's a really tough call.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kidjupiter92 said:
A friend of mine ran me over a hard drive with a copy of Suspiria over after I told him about this project.

I'm actually gonna try to upscale this copy here and try to recolor it. It's a really tough call.

No harm in your friend sharing his copy so you can evaluate it's merits but if you are actually going to use it for an edit, you should buy yourself a copy.

Top Bottom