• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Thread for Art & Art Appreciation

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This next doodle is even less artistic than my Star Trek ones; just something I whipped up on the fly in MS Paint. This is the costume evolution I've envisioned for my version of Superman. Hopefully I'll have proper drawings featuring the most interesting suits to share soon.

superman_s_costume_through_the_years__universe_1__by_duracellenergizer_ddly6gl-pre.jpg

COSTUME #1 (1938)

Inspired by the outfits worn by circus strongmen, Kal-El's first costume was a basic affair, dominated by dark colours. It consisted of a long-sleeved shirt & tights, both made with navy blue wool. Over the tights were worn black trunks held up by a midnight blue belt. Over his feet were worn black leather boot-sandals. The S-shield worn on the front of the shirt was black, outlined in white.

Kal only wore this costume a short while before it was ruined in his climactic confrontation with Team Luthor.

COSTUME #2 (1938-1941)

Following Lana Lang's advice, Kal incorporated more and brighter colours into his next suit. The black boot-sandals were replaced with red boots with black trim. The midnight blue belt was replaced with a red one. The S-shield was made red-on-black. To complete the ensemble, he added a voluminous red cape to the costume.

COSTUME #3 (1941-1945)

Once America entered World War II, Kal joined the troops overseas in the fight against Axis forces. During the course of the war, his cape was lost and he took to wearing standard-issue army boots.

COSTUME #4 (1945-1956)

Following the end of the war, Kal redesigned his costume to feature even brighter colours. The black trim on the boots was replaced with yellow. The black trunks were replaced with red ones. The red belt was replaced with a yellow one. A yellow border was added around the S-shield. Finally, a yellow S-shield was added to the cape.

COSTUME #5 (1956-1992)

Following exposure to black kryptonite, Kal was split into an amoral Superman and a cowardly Clark Kent. Shortly thereafter, Superman modified his costume to reflect this sinister transformation. The yellow belt was replaced with a black belt with a yellow buckle. The S-shield on the cape was made yellow-on-black. Sometime after 1958, spandex replaced wool as the fabric used in these costumes.

Worn for nearly forty years, this costume became the one most associated with the Man of Tomorrow. It was retained even after Clark and Superman were merged back together in 1985. It was finally retired following the death of Lois and Kal's climactic battle with Brainiac One Million, whereupon he abandoned both his Clark and Superman personas and relocated to New Krypton.

COSTUME #6 (2002)

At Wonder Woman's urging, Kal returned to Earth to help rein in the new generation of amoral superheroes. Eschewing his classic red-&-blue costume, he designed a grimmer, darker costume more in keeping with the times. A modified Kryptonian biosuit, it was a one-piece, primarily black costume. Around the wrists and ankles were navy blue patterns mimicking the "M" trim of the classic red boots. Around the torso was blue padding. The cape connected into a red-on-black S-shield, which had been redesigned to match the Kryptonian symbol for "dominion". A black-on-blue S-shield of the same design was added to the cape.

COSTUME #7 (2002-?)

Gonna have to give this one some thought.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
IMG_20191215_121726.jpg

I dug up this Boba Fett drawing that my father drew, probably back in high school.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
His work has, for some reason, gone largely under the radar for much of my time as an avid fan of comics and comic art, but goddamn Kerry Gammill could draw.

TL0gyHQ.jpg
zpB4MXb.jpg
6met6v4.jpg
DuWVGM6.jpg
FS6d18i.jpg
340riOF.jpg
1Vkua9q.jpg

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love Gammill. He's my second favourite Supeman artist (Jerry Ordway's my first).

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I close my eyes and think “Superman”, I’ll always think García-López, but Ordway and Gammill are giants.

Also, speaking of Gammill and Ordway, the above post was brought to you by this fabulous Christmas gift:

makhpph73zm01.jpg

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tried my hand at digitally inking this George Pérez piece. Came out kinda shit, but not for lack of trying, just too low-resolution to look good.

j9V1Oai.jpg

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for making this post, I didn't mean anything by it, I was trying to share my own interests.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm about to share scans of a short story I wrote and illustrated for my fifth grade class back in 1997. It is ... bad. Badly written, badly drawn. Also nonsensical if you haven't read the Bartman comics I made in 1996-1998 (I know you haven't) or know about Bubblehead, the anthropomorphic bubble character I created in '97 (I know you don't).

ESF%2B%2528pg.%2B1%2529.png
ESF%2B%2528pg.%2B2-3%2529.png
ESF%2B%2528pg.%2B4-5%2529.png
ESF%2B%2528pg.%2B6-7%2529.png
ESF%2B%2528pg.%2B8-9%2529.png
ESF%2B%2528pg.%2B10-11%2529.png

ESF%2B%2528pg.%2B12%2529.png

I can only imagine what the teacher made of it after I handed it in to her.

In 2012, I revisited this story through a drawing. It's not great, but still a vast improvement on the original.

bartman_vs__the_moestroyer_by_duracellenergizer_d5dwhth-pre.jpg

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sketch-1579543876629.png

I drew a little Batman earlier today, and I really like how it came out.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That expression...I think you nailed it.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
EX8ulWC.jpg

xyNagWM.jpg

Tried to digitally fake a split-diopter with these photos I took of some friends. I’d love to make a proper print like this. Until then, all I got are poorly done .jpgs from the negative.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool! You should try that trick shot from Conan the Barbarian where Subotai spots Thulsa Doom's war party riding to the mound area (subotai is in focus and you can still clearly see the riders far away on the horizon), the director said he had to look up how to do it in a book, something like a really wide lens (could be wrong) and putting the camera far back behind the actor maybe fully zoomed out?

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Random sketches of people—some real some not—from various points in the last few weeks or so.

6JowGAl.jpg
iSxHGxn.jpg
kjZqRg5.jpg
FxtGTR5.jpg
wrveXSs.jpg
4xscTIS.jpg
daZvcFy.jpg
KTHbX5F.jpg

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
EX8ulWC.jpg

xyNagWM.jpg

Tried to digitally fake a split-diopter with these photos I took of some friends. I’d love to make a proper print like this. Until then, all I got are poorly done .jpgs from the negative.

Made the composite print today. Took 3 tries to get it to where I’m pleased with the results, but I really am happy about how it came out.

8F4kkMW.jpg

Top Bottom