• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The "This movie has a clean center channel!" thread (List in OP)

DaDrumBum1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a list of known movies that have a pretty good mix of only dialogue and SFX on the center channel? ie. no or very little music mixed in.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DaDrumBum1 said:
Hello,

I was wondering if there is a list of known movies that have a pretty good mix of only dialogue and SFX on the center channel? ie. no or very little music mixed in.

*Threads merged*

Please use the search function to make sure similar threads do not already exist.

Also, if this is your first time here, welcome. :)

DaDrumBum1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
DaDrumBum1 said:
Hello,

*Threads merged*

Please use the search function to make sure similar threads do not already exist.

Also, if this is your first time here, welcome. :)

Thank you So much! I was looking for this list thread and I honestly couldn't find it! You have been very helpful!

DaDrumBum1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
^ Added to OP.

An honorable mention I've discovered today...

Star Trek Into Darkness (Compendium Edition Blu-Ray)

Sadly music is pretty high in the center but all other channels are 100% free of dialogue. So removing unwanted lines is a piece of cake (Like Sulu shouting "We've got to go!" 400 times in the opening scene :D ).

I am sorry, I know this is a totally noob question, but how do you remove the dialog for something like this situation where all other channels have none?

This is a great community and I am glad I found you guys, thank you.

DaDrumBum1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Phillips BluRay has a pretty clean center channel track. Only a little bleed through in the ending scenes.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DaDrumBum1 said:
TM2YC said:
^ Added to OP.

Sadly music is pretty high in the center but all other channels are 100% free of dialogue. So removing unwanted lines is a piece of cake (Like Sulu shouting "We've got to go!" 400 times in the opening scene :D ).

I am sorry, I know this is a totally noob question, but how do you remove the dialog for something like this situation where all other channels have none?

If you edit using the 5.1 mix, it can be as simple as deleting the center track and replacing it with another channel and eq-ing it to fit the mix.

DaDrumBum1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
DaDrumBum1 said:
TM2YC said:
^ Added to OP.

If you edit using the 5.1 mix, it can be as simple as deleting the center track and replacing it with another channel and eq-ing it to fit the mix.
OH Right, I see what you are saying! That makes sense. But with this scenario there is no way to isolate the dialogue is there?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DaDrumBum1 said:
TM2YC said:

Sadly music is pretty high in the center but all other channels are 100% free of dialogue. So removing unwanted lines is a piece of cake

how do you remove the dialog for something like this situation where all other channels have none?

You just silence the center-channel during the portion where the  line you want removed is being spoken and mix it in. Unlike most mixes where the dialogue is in all channels (or the echo of it), STID's mix with the center channel removed is like a karaoke version.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've misunderstood this whole clear centre channel thing , I was under the impression it meant I could remove musical elements while leaving sound fx and dialogue intact. @"TM2YC" as I know you're the expert on rescoring Drive can I ask how you went about keeping the sound fx intact for instance at the end when Gosling finds Cranston murdered near the end.  Did you build your sound fx around the rescore or did you filter those that are in the film in some way??

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
I've misunderstood this whole clear centre channel thing , I was under the impression it meant I could remove musical elements while leaving sound fx and dialogue intact.

It does mean that. A few rare movies have center surround channels free of music but sometimes there are still a few scenes where music is present and needs dealt with. I've never rescored drive so can't comment on the scene you are talking about. I did have a quick go at this one scene way back for fun (very rough) with some Hans Zimmer...

(Password: fanedit.org)

...but I was working on 'Escape from L.A.' and that was mostly 100% clean of music in the center channel except a few moments like when a car goes past with the radio on and it's still pretty loud in the mix.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I've watched that clip before you did and Pliskens Dirty Harry one of the same scene. I thought you had completely recreated the radio1 rescore from scratch so had dealt with all the instances where the sound fx and elements of the music are in the same channel. So where there are needed sound fx or dialogu in the same channel as the music I have to filter it or use an alternate source then?

So you muxed the audio from the rescore witrh bluray footage sorry I misunderstood

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
I thought you had completely recreated the radio1 rescore from scratch so had dealt with all the instances where the sound fx and elements of the music are in the same channel.

So you muxed the audio from the rescore witrh bluray footage sorry I misunderstood

Yeah. I think Refn kindly provided Radio1 with a music free mix of the movie so they could do that project. Oh and it's a pitch corrected 25fps version too.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh right I'll drop him an email then  :D

Yeah I remember reading about pitch fix now, sorry me being a thicko :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Yeah I remember reading about pitch fix now

To be clear, I meant they (Radio1 or Refn) sped up the video/audio to 25fps for PAL region broadcast but also adjusted the pitch so it didn't sound squeaky.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah i knew what you meant, you converted the blu frame rate to match this squeaky pal format we euros used to be fond of before the arrival of HD bluray etc...

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Granted the movies are awful but Halloween: Resurrection and Rob Zombie’s H2 (Blu-rays) both have perfectly clear center channels. I was able to put together a really solid edit of Resurrection because of this.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It might be a good idea to sticky the thread and move it to the Audio Editing section, where people who are interested in isolating dialog might be more likely to spot it. ☺

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 have clean centre channels. It's safe to say that 5 and 6 do as well

douchebag

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Expanse Season 1 Blu Ray. Center Channel has absolutely no music or traces of music whatsoever. Perfect for editing :D

Top Bottom