• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

THE THINGS - 1982/2011 plus FULL Text and PIP Comentary

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am closing off the other thread.
Here is the trailer

SPOILER WARNING.

BELOW IS THE FULL EDIT DESCRIPTION>

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. There will be a BD version of the film and the commentary plus DVD DL movie and commentary and DL MOVIE ONLY

WRAITH

This edit aims to unify the 1982 and 2011 versions of The Thing into a single cohesive story told
with a Pulp Fiction style edit which switches the action back and forth between the 2 without
ruining either the tension or build up.
Careful trims to the 2011 (T11) version remove a few overly CGI shots and keep the reveal less
explicit until the 1982 version (T82) makes its reveals.
From there each film looses about a third of its material; but the progression is almost
undetectable and the final rt is 2h39min, a very respectable length and consistent with many big
blockbusters but is NEVER bloated.
Tightened dialogue throughout keeps the pace but NO required exposition is lost. Some crap lines
from the T11 are also removed and numerous score enhancements made not just to tie the two
together, but to bring the T11 more in tonal line with T82 (not that it was ever that bad). The
score enhancements were taken from the 2011 complete score re-recording which is of outstanding
quality, and contains un-used cues by Ennio Morricone and John Carpenter some sections which appear
in this edit for the first time.
Finally a custom opening and most deleted scenes from T11 are back in but again, choice editing of
these for consistency.
Some sequences were re-ordered and individual shots also re-ordered in places for flow, pace,
transition and dramatic effect.
Running time: 2h 38min
THE THING 1982 RT was 1hr 48min 42sec
cut 24min 52 added nil
New RT 1hr 23 min
THE THING 2011 RT was 1hr 43min 24sec
cut 44min added 8min
New RT 1hr 6min

001 Custom opening
002 Old 80s Universal Logo used
003 New title credits over T82 opening music
004 Title reveal is custom animated in the font of the original titles.
005 Segues to same caption as T82 bur re-rendered for full match to pre-ceding titles in the
original FONT (which is ALBERTUS for those that are interested)
006 Opens on T82 original opening shot but then cuts to a closing helicopter shot from T11 which
has been optically flipped for continuity (this was in fact the very last scene altered coz I just
could not get happy with it and dropped in a 2 more shots for a re-render to then remove one of the
2...to settle on what you have.....dear lord this takes forever)
007 This continues with a deleted scene from T11 which is an extended version of the T11 theatrical
closing
008 Extensive Audio work to ensure the music continuity
009 The deleted scene from T11 has the shots of the frozen corpse removed for a better reveal later
in the T82 original position.
010 The extended T11 husky chase continues and then seamlessly switches to the T82 version
011 Again Audio work for music continuity and sound effects needed
012 Chase then continues as per T82 but is shortened in a few places for pacing and overall running
time
013 Shots of the Norwegian shooting the husky are replaced with T11 close-ups
014 Gun shots from the T82 version are replaced with the T11 and some gun flash work is added.
015 Establishing scenes from the T82 (table tennis etc) are deleted for dramatic flow since they
interrupt the Husky chase.
016 Macs scene in the hut playing chase is relocated to later in the edit again to sustain the
drama of the revised opening with some trimming for timing but no dialogue loss....overlapping
audio to visuals....
017 The shooting of the Norwegian is trimmed since the fall always felt awkward and is now more
immediate.
018 Some post shooting shots are trimmed.
019 The closing shots of Clarke with the Husky and Mac and the team are overlaid with the score
from T11 in order to effect a seamless transition to our first full switch to T11.
020 Caption "3 Days Ago" is added over the T11 footage of the Helicopter approaching the Norwegian
camp, Theule.
021 Original T11 opening on the ice flow and Snowcat fall into crevace is deleted.
022 T11 sequence where Kate is hired to join the team is deleted. We don't need the introductions
here. They are all repeated later and in a less patronising and in a less obviously exposition
manner.
023 The flight to Thule is trimmed significantly to remove the idle banter which seemed slightly
forced and out of place.
024 The shots of the helicopter itself needed reworking over the audio in order for the sequence to
work and after landing Some intros take place including under the ice at the dig site.
025 T11 continues unchanged for a couple of minutes until they the team take Kate to the survivor
where the word "good" is removed from the XXX and the shots re-ordered.
026 On the zoom into the creature in the ice in T11 the scene cuts back to T82 at the time when doc
is stitching up the wound.
027 The shots here are re-ordered, dialogue slightly trimmed in order for the continuity to work
and so as to make the "are we at war with Norway" comment work, which in its original order did not
when the comment was so far from the original shooting.
028 This is resolved by seeing the corpse BEFORE Nials makes the comment, but this necessitated
trimming the roller-skating or the comment was TOO delayed.
029 Sequence is reworked in a number of areas and Macs' chess game is placed here.
030 The "el cap-i-tan" comment is reworked over a shot of the autopsy table
031 Macs chess game is trimmed but only for running time...all dialogues and joke is retained to
ensure character development. Some shots re-sequenced since cutting from "el cap-i-tan" comment to
Mac getting the ice out of the ice bucket was too harsh a cut. This now cuts to the video screen of
the chess game.
032 Next few minutes including Macs chopper flight to Thule base and the discoveries there is
untouched, unenhanced.
033 Once Mac and Doc leave the Theule base and go outside and discover the Thing Corpse, it cuts to
the Norwegian camp to the pre excavation discussion. Here the remaining introductions are made.
034 A caption is not used here since the cast are significantly different that it should be clear
that we are following an earlier timeline as previously highlighted. treat your audience as if they
have brains. Memento did not need captions...(though it used B&W to telegraph the timeline...I'm
using beards).
035 T11 camp discussion on extracting The Thing is unchanged but cuts directly to the block being
brought to Theule with the night scene looking at stars being deleted.
036 The 1st score enchantment occurs here at 0:27:39 and was The Main Theme for 19 sec from the
2011 complete score re-recording but at the last minute I changed this to the more mysterious
"solitude " for 28 sec. Music also tells a story and it was too soon to include the DUMDUM
DUMDUMDUM. I had located a much neater place.
037 The Scene discussing the block has some dialogue removed regarding "conditions being
unpredictable"...silly...its a dead thing in ice (we think).
038 The 2nd score enhancement over the conversation occurs over the dialogue trims at 28:52:27
adding in 1min and 10sec of "The Wait".
039 The celebration scenes that follow are unchanged but the outdoor material is removed.
040 The first deleted scene is added in here where the discussion about "one call to the government
takes place.
041 The addition of this scene required background sound work to anchor it to the "party".
042 The 3rd score enhancement occurs at 0:34:14 adding in "The Shape" for 1min 21sec.
043 The 4th enhancement is at 36 min and 2 sec, and is the only piece from the T11 score. It is in
fact the opening piece called God's Country. It was the moment in the 2011 film I thought OH...this
might be ok. I used this a the first reveal on the Husky...of the DUMDUMDUM DUM DUM DUM...(apart
from the films opening). The piece is represented here in its entirety and begins in the previous
scene when The Thing escapes the ice.
044 This continues to the thing escaping the block but then cuts back to T82 from the first autopsy
scene.
045 The TV rec room material that follows is removed but the next 6min up to the end of the thing
being revealed for the first time is unchanged. This is the second longest unbroken stretch of
material and it would be criminal to try to improve on it. It can't be done.
046 Having now revealed the thing in the T82, we move back to T11 and the hunt for the thing from
the ice block. This sequence is shortened in a few places and the extent of the thing is hidden by
selective trimming of excessive CGI.
047 This continues to the T11 autopsy with the removal of the "amniotic sac" reference
048 The 4th score enhancement occurs at 0:56:21 with 33 sec of "Despair" added in.
049 The T11 autopsy cuts to the T82 briefing on their autopsy findings
050 5th score enhancement at 0:57:16 adding in 3min 52 sec of "Humanity" over the segue of the
closing moments of T11 autopsy and T82 briefing that follows by Doc.
051 This continues with the rec room Mac briefing trimmed and the "voodoo bullshit" line from
Chiles is moved to the end of the scene with a reworking of a number of shots to Keep Chiles
correctly located for continuity.
052 the 6th score enhancement begins at 1:04:10 and is actually the same music used in this scene,
namely "humanity" but it is replaced with a longer cue of 2min 39 sec which permits its use to tie
into the next switch to T11.
053 This music overlay keeps the tone of Kate examining the samples consistent, though the scene
again contains dialogue trims removing silly dialogue.
054 The 7th enhancement is again "humanity" overlaid while Kate discovers the filings from 1:06:49
for 1min 42sec.
055 The helicopter attack is trimmed so as not to reveal the creature again too early and removal
of what I thought was one of only 3 really poorly executed CGI wipes in the movie.
056 major scene reworking follows with the post chopper crash discussion which now starts with the
discussion about outside help.
057 Kate discovering the shower clean is deleted since she tells everyone. It also means that there
is a possibility she is lying.
058 The comments about the radio being broken are relocated to the middle of the scene to increase
the pace of the tension and plug a large silence.
059 The failed radio calls are deleted sinc its just too much like the T82 otherwise
060 Kate's briefing to the team is trimmed for superfluous dialogue.
061 The comment about "yelling fire" is removed as is "wanting the information" and "there's more"
to tone down the immature comments and some of Kate's' over the top drama.
062 Kate saying "the thing is still here" is removed since it is stated later round the fire.
063 This segues back to T82 with Blair doing the computer analysis. This removes the "cell
simulation" since we now already know it imitates people, but I have retained the "global
population" thread to further add to Blair's paranoia.
064 The scenes with Mac outside discussing are re-worked.
065 The scene with Fuchs and the thing dripping and taking over Bennings plus some shots here and
there are all re-worked for timing and pace.
066 9th score enhancement at this point is two sections from "Burn it" starting at 1:15:53 and
totalling 2 min with a 13 sec mix from different section of that track.
067 The end of the Bennings burn is reworked to remove some dialogue and timing.
068 10th score enhancement at 1:19:42 is "Despair" for 1 min 42 sec and this covers the segue back
to T11
069 The scene with Kate speaking to the Norwegian lady is removed and this picks up with dialogue
looking for keys.
070 The scene of the Thing Reveal is trimmed for having the second of the overly CGI shots I
disliked.
071 The run up of Lars and the torching of the Lady Thing is considerable tighter removing the
unnecessary delay and pondering at the door. This required some reordering of shots and audio.
072 This is the next deleted scene restored to the edit which contains some extra money shots.
073 The runs in to the second deleted scene from T11 where they put out the fire and torch Karl
074 This deleted scene require colour timing to warm up the beginning and end of the scenes where
they were with putting out a fire or torching Karl to keep the colour continuity consistent.
075 This deleted KARL TORCHED scene was trimmed at the end to not make the rubber stuntman suit too
obvious.
076 Kate round the fire discussion has dialogue removed.
077 11th Score enhancement at 1:28:51 "Wait" for 37 sec added
078 Preparation and discussion of possible blood test completely removed. In order to repeat what
is done in T82 and to jump to the filings sequence later.
079 The Americans return and dialogue is trimmed in a few places.
080 12th Score enhancement at 1:30:11 "Sterilization" for 1min 13sec
081 Segues to T82. All references to their blood test plan are also removed since Macs preamble
later explains how he things his version will work
080 Mac on tape recorder leaving a message to any rescuers is removed.
083 Continue with Mac outside deliberately fooling the viewer for a moment about where we are.
084 Trimmed sequence from exterior to interior running in to find Blair going nuts .
085 The extra discovery of Mac's shirt is removed
086 Mac's visit to Blair removed
087 13ths score enhancement at 1:47:50 is "Main Theme-Desolation" for 4min 31 sec
088 This ties the next segue to T11 which begins with the filings examination.
089 The walkover to the American is removed for timing.
090 Hard cut to T82 at beginning of the blood test
091 14th Enhancement is the track "Fuchs" for 53sec over the next segue to T11
090 The next ten minutes contain to more deleted scenes / scene extensions and some trims to
chasing and walking to again keep the pace fair and overall timing as close to 2hrs 30min as
possible.
093 The entire sequence at the spaceship with the thing trying to escape etc is deleted.
094 The action cuts directly after the torching of the thing outside the camp to Kate and the
American getting in the snow cat. This needed some warming up on the colour timing for continuity
095 This scene then faded into T82 for the finale with some deletions of the run up of Chiles
looking out the windows.
096 15th and Final score enhancement at 2:18:45 for 49 sec "Antarctica"
097 Laying of charges is trimmed and T82 plays out as in theatres...the longest untouched section
at 9min 17sec.
098 New caption added at the final fadeout
099 Custom titles over the T82 audio.
100 Both titles then run parallel
101 Final segue to fanedit log

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moved to True Fanedits...for the moment.

Is this completed and submitted?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ComPleted and should be up in a week or so.
Am mailing to Cap K since I have v v poor upload speeds.

Wraith

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be clear, I'm uploading whichever DVD version I receive to newsgroups, nothing more.

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This does sound awesome.... Can't wait to download it....

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
sad that may not get a chance too. it's DL only right? i dont have any DLs and no store around me sells any. so i unfortunately have to say that won't be able to check it out.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
steelio2006 said:
i dont have any DLs and no store around me sells any.

Do you have access to the internet? Rumor has it you can buy pretty much anything on the internet...Not to mention you could just watch it on your computer.

QuickCut

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
or compress it to SL. There you go. You now have three ways to watch the edit.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll do an SL as well.
W

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This seems like a very cool approach. I was editing Thing11 and took out the spaceship scenes, and was struggling with the 'wimpy finale' feeling. This sounds like it might counter that problem nicely.

By the way, you spelt Antarctica wrong. :)

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Do you have access to the internet? Rumor has it you can buy pretty much anything on the internet...Not to mention you could just watch it on your computer.

The internet? What is this internet u speak of? Lol. I do, but don't have any way of buying stuff off of amazon or such.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
By the way, you spelt Antarctica wrong.

let the onslaught of revision releases begin?

:behindsofa:

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking forward to seeing how this 'combination' turns out Wraith.

PM sent. :)

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just pointing out something Captain Khajiit mentioned earlier that may have been missed:

Captain Khajiit said:
To be clear, I'm uploading whichever DVD version I receive to newsgroups, nothing more.

If you're gonna want to see this, newsgroups will be the way to get it when it's ready.

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Just pointing out something Captain Khajiit mentioned earlier that may have been missed:

If you're gonna want to see this, newsgroups will be the way to get it when it's ready.

So this isn't going to see the light of day on fanedit.info....

No cover art or anything... I was looking forward to this... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

WhichWay.jpg

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I may have sorted out my net problems.
Who do I send cover art to?
...this will see the light of day the normal way

WRAITH

Whispers

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wraith said:
I may have sorted out my net problems.
Who do I send cover art to?
...this will see the light of day the normal way

WRAITH

Great news Wraith.... Glad we'll be seeing this one.....

Top Bottom