• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Thing: The Musical aka Escape from the Shining Alien Thing from Beyond the Stars

blueyoda

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Synopsis: An American scientific expedition to Antarctica is interrupted by a group of seemingly insane Norwegians pursuing and shooting at a dog. When the helicopter is destroyed and the passengers are killed, the dog is let into the base and the Americans begin to wonder what has actually happened. When the researchers start having visual hallucinations, they suspect that there might be more to this dog than meets the eye.

This fanedit is my love letter to John Carpenter's classic horror film "The Thing" but also to that beautiful decade that was the 80s. There are many, many movie and pop culture references throughout; there's a new soundtrack, alternate dialog, new visual effects (some so subtle only the most hardcore The Thing fans will notice) and more Easter eggs than Palmer's got dutchies. Basically, I threw everything but the kitchen sink at this Thing.

Like many of my mashups, this came from a single idea. It occurred to me that Norris' chest opening up kind of looked like the Sarlac pit in Return of the Jedi and when I added that iconic Jedi music to that defibrillator scene it was wildly inappropriate and I loved it and then it gave me another idea. What if the spaceship from the beginning of the movie crashed because there was a xenomorph on board? Then another; what if The Thing was a sequel to all of the actors' previous movies? Like what if MacReady was the used car salesman from "Used Cars"? And did you know that MacReady's boss in that movie is called "Fuchs"?

And that's how you end up spending a year on a remix project. I absolutely loved working on this. It was a blast.

There are way too many sources in this to list all here and besides, it would spoil the experience. But to give you an idea of the vibe of this remix, there's footage, references or homages to The Thing from Another World (1951), Alien (1979), Predator (1987), Wargames (1983), Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), Airwolf (1984), Transformers (1985) and many others.

The new soundtrack includes music by David Bowie, Duran Duran, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Blondie, Queen, John Williams, James Horner, Alan Silvestri and more.

Special thanks to Dwight Fry for previewing this and for the feedback and support.

vlcsnap-2022-06-19-16h00m09s917.png

vlcsnap-2022-06-19-16h01m20s968.png
vlcsnap-2022-06-19-16h00m57s872.png

vlcsnap-2022-06-20-17h38m35s966.png

vlcsnap-2022-06-19-16h05m39s620.png

vlcsnap-2022-06-19-16h09m57s997.png

The teaser trailer:

The Canadian trailer:

The Star Wars Spoof trailer:

And lastly, the Shining trailer:

There's no such thing as too many trailers.

Last edited:
After taking a couple of paracetamol and having a long lay down I'm ready to comment. It enticed me, confused me, Slowed me down and softened my mind. There is just too much to unravel here.
I really don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling it for others, It's so well put together, and then after the main movie there is 20 minutes of extra stuff to watch, Like the voodoo topping on the oatmeal.

If, many millennia from now historians tried to recreate a movie from the 1980's based on scraps of available evidence, this would be the result.

This would have been awesome back in the eighties when my friends and I did far too many mind altering substances. It was a wild trip sober. So many trails for my mind to follow. Man, I got freaking lost. I had to keep pausing and going backwards. I'm not sure how to even describe this. Loved it!

Thanks for allowing me a pre-release view of your very eccentric but excellent art!

Last edited:
I'm not sure where in the forums would be the appropriate spot to post a review, so I put it here,

Not Since TMBTM's Exploitation edits of Jaws and Star Wars (his second one War of the Stars 2), did I feel such a joy in seeing so many sources used for a retelling of a film work so damn well.

Blueyoda gives us Escape from the Shining Alien Thing from Beyond the Stars. A mostly very creatively and cleverly mash up with the main focal point being John Carpenter's the Thing.

Now as I write this its still not up on the fanedit's ifdb page yet. It feels like a main feature film, but I believe BY wanted it more like a tv presentation. The hard part here is not to spoil or give away any of the multitude of Easter egg surprises this edit holds (he did use upwards of like 30 various sources of pop culture media and references)

With that being said, I can say I absolutely loved this edit. it was a very humorous, sometimes serious and wonderful parody of many films while still keeping a coherent story. It pulled this off quite well.

The video and audio quality were quite fine with everything being properly leveled (playing out of a 2.0 stereo system).

I did have one minor gripe which I spoke to Blueyoda about and this is going to be my only spoiler. At one point during the film it cuts away to commercials like a tv movie would. However the (actual) vintage tv commercials are all presented in a 4:3 pillar boxed ratio while the main film was closer to 2:35:1. The commercial segment went on for about 6 mins before going back into the film. It had only one segment like this and I had felt this film would work much better without that break away. When this segment appeared it took me right out of the film. That being said, the actual commercials were nice to see

I would easily give this a rating of 8.5 to 9

if you like Carpenter's The Thing and want to have a fun entertaining time, do yourself the courtesy and check out this edit

Last edited:
I did have one minor gripe which I spoke to Blueyoda about and this is going to be my only spoiler. At one point during the film it cuts away to commercials like a tv movie would. However the (actual) vintage tv commercials are all presented in a 4:3 pillar boxed ratio while the main film was closer to 2:35:1. The commercial segment went on for about 6 mins before going back into the film. It had only one segment like this and I had felt this film would work much better without that break away. When this segment appeared it took me right out of the film. That being said, the actual commercials were nice to see

There's an alternate version of the edit where the TV commercials are replaced by
Blair getting infected.
It's included in the download if you go to that other web site.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where in the forums would be the appropriate spot to post a review, so I put it here,
Reviews are posted as alerts in the forums and housed on ifdb.
Alert forum post
Ifdb post
I've moved your post to the project thread. The best place to post a review that is not on ifdb would be the project thread of the edit. :)

Nice to see these comments trickling in. It's difficult for me to understand what a first viewing experience of this is like, having worked on it for so long.

Every scene was a choice I had to make. Do I go for a laugh here or should I change the soundtrack to give the scene a new atmosphere? Or do I change the dialog? All of the above? I had difficult decisions to make and you see some of these choices in the "Deleted Scenes and Oddities" reel.

This was my first mashup of that scope / magnitude. I had to have a very bizarre workflow where each scene was a devoted project assembled together, then after they were rendered, assembled in the larger project. For those curious, the movie ended up being divided in 63 parts. It wasn't necessarily organized, it just came together organically as ideas came to me.

I completely immersed myself in this project and read the novella, the novelization and the script many times. I read interviews with Carpenter; I watched his filmography as well as a fair chunk of the actors' filmography (including their TV appearances); I watched the original 1951 movie, and all those Thing-inspired movies like Harbinger Down and The Void, etc. I know The Thing inside out. Every single frame of it, every sound effect. I hid stuff in there that I don't think anyone will ever find. I do hope that some of the Easter eggs will be discovered though.

I had to have a very bizarre workflow where each scene was a devoted project assembled together, then after they were rendered, assembled in the larger project.

I had similar experience with my latest project (for a first time ever). There were 7 projects edited separately from and then put together.
Not sure If I'd want do something like that again. But 63 parts? That sounds crazy!

Last edited:
I had similar experience with my latest project (for a first time ever). There were 7 projects edited separately from and then put together.
Not sure If I'd want do something like that again. But 63 parts? That sounds crazy!

It felt more like sculpting than linear editing. The sub-projects would "talk" to each other and rhyme (laughs in Lucas) and bring more scene ideas. One good example is
when MacReady sings Elvis. Originally I had him beatbox until I remembered Kurt Russell had played Elvis (in a Carpenter movie, no less), When I assembled the Airwolf sequence I realized I could go all the way and literally show him as Elvis.

It was all very organic. This project really took a life of its own and parts of it assembled itself.

^

Airwolf AND Elvis
in the same movie! Count me in.
...imo the best gag ended up in the deleted scenes.... ;)😂😁😂 lol

Seriously though, this is a Masterpiece of Delicious Madness that only Blue Yoda could cook up!
A Must Watch for anyone interested in the unlimited potential of fan editing.
Glorious stuff! :love: (y)

Hey everyone, I've been trying to watch for a bit. I have the files, but no password! None of the usual passwords are working. Help!

Same to me: No pw in the txt.
Could I get one per PM, please?

Back
Top Bottom