• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Thing (2011) The Toon-Thing Edit

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys.

I finished my first fan edit and am just waiting approval from fanedit.org. I've been assured that it will be up soon.

In the meantime, if anyone would like to view the edit before it goes 'live', please PM me and I will send you the relevant information to download the edit.

Here's a list of changes I made to the theatrical release...

Intention
The Toon-Thing assimilates available footage and brings you this Fan Edit, to create a film that goes further in paying homage to John Carpenter's '82 classic. 'The Toon-Thing Edit' includes deleted footage, new scenes, sound and effects from the '82 film.

Edit Details
I reinstated nearly all of the deleted footage to create a film that is more in line with the style of the John Carpenter original, i.e., taking time to mark character beats and build the tension gradually. The deleted footage had to be modified to fit in with the rest of the footage. I cut the beginning scene as, in my opinion it looked out of place with the rest of the movie and was poorly executed. This necessitated adding footage from the '82 film at the beginning. I rebuilt the end credits, reforming the ending so that the last scene plays as one without the credits interupting. I also used more of the Ennio Morricone theme in the film to tie it musically with the '82 version.

Cut-List

The Toon-Thing credit added before title sequence
Music from The Thing (1982) added to title sequence along with additional sound effects
Saucer crash from The Thing (1982) added.
The Thing (2011) title burn in added and repositioned to match saucer's place of entry with '82 sound effect
Norwegian's crashing through the ice from theatrical release cut
Ennio Morricone music added to lab scene along with additional sound effects
Title card added for 'time and place'
Deleted scene of Sander and Edvard colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added
Some frames from following scene cut to help the musical transition
Deleted scene of Kate and Carter colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added
Exterior shot added, created from later external shot, but panned to avoid tell-tale flames coming from later in the film
After helicopter crash, exterior scene cut
Deleted scene of Colin attempting to radio for help colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added
Exterior shot that was cut earlier added but with new sound of radio static and wind howl
Deleted scene of Karl's fate colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added. Some frames from following scene cut to help the transition
Sound effect of Karl-Thing's shriek enhanced with sound from The Thing (1982)
Following scene panned to avoid inconsistancy involving Karl's unburnt corpse from the theatrical release
Extended scene of Split-face's attack on Carter colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added
Original ending cut
Deleted scene of Norwegian helicopter returning and chasing down the Dog-Thing colour-timed, sharpened and audio mixed added
Title sequence rebuilt and credits for The Toon-Thing and Ennio Morricone added
Ennio Morricone theme added to end credits.

Thanks for your interest.

The Toon-Thing

Eiyosus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm getting an error on the 12th file. Noooo!

I'm looking forward to watching this! I didn't see you mention it, but I'm hoping you cut out some of the alien shots. I thought they showed a bit too much, plus the CG wasn't the greatest.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eiyosus said:
I'm getting an error on the 12th file. Noooo!

I downloaded this last week and it went fine. Then I saw your message and downloaded it again. All files downloaded fine and extracted. The files are not corrupted, so it's something on your end most likely.

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had to restart a few of the files, just reset them in jdownloader

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Plot: 8
I felt the new intro brought a great classic feel to the film and started the edit off very well. However I felt there were many places that had alot of dead weight/un needed humor that could have been taken out or shortened up for pacing. But all and all I found the addition of the deleted scenes to be near flawless. Very good job on this aspect.

Image Quality: 7
There is a issue with any dark colors, black of course being the worst. It gets blocky and slightly distorted, normaly this isnt an issue. But this movie is very dark so it can be very distracting at times.

audio quality: 10
No issues here, sound was very clean and crisp even during deleted scenes.

difference to the original
As an extended edit I would say this is a great add on to the movie. But as a true fan edit I find it lacking. As good as the edit is, I find not much has changed. Yes you added around 7 extra scenes and trimmed like 4 min off the start of the movie. Now that the negitive is out of the way. I have to say I enjoyed the pacing and theme change that the edit had by the rescore you did. It felt more like the old movies. So all and all i do find this to be a true fan edit

overall presentation
N/a

entertainment: 8
The edit did a good job of enhancing a failed reboot. However you did make the movie more enjoyable overall. So good work to you sir.

Final Score: 8

Approved
approved.png

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well done Toon!

I'm moving this thread to the True Fanedits section. Currently it's still listed in the Newcomers section on the other site but will be moved on the next release cycle.

Eiyosus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alrighty, got the 12th link (just had to restart it)! I'll post my thoughts after I watch it (tomorrow), although it SOUNDS like it might not cut out enough for my taste (we shall see).

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks guys. This is a great way to start my day.

Thanks juice, for you comments. I hadn't noticed any blockiness when watching it on my PS3, but I will take your word for that. Not sure how I can avoid that in future. Perhaps a higher bitrate?

I guess you are right about the limitations of my 'fan edit'. I am currently working on a version that replaces the Beltrami score with the Morricone one, but it would still have the same structure. I thought about cutting some more stuff but it just makes it faster and leaner which makes it a feel a bit too modern for my tastes.

Thanks again, guys. Any other suggestions or feedback would be most appreciated. This is my first go at a fan edit, so I'm learning as I go.

EDIT: Juice - I would be interested to know which areas you felt had dead weight or un-needed humour. I'm working on another edit of this movie and if possible I want to get the running time down.

juice4z0

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ill look over the edit again to remember what i thought could be cut. I do remember thinking that the party scene when the guy was like " we found a f***ing alien" could be tightened up. That and the scene with the blAck guy where the thing jumps out of the ice could be tightened up. I had a few ideas on how to do this.

But as i said ill watch again and take more notes for you and pm you.

But as i said it was a good edit and i enjoyed it. Very good work

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Juice. I'll take a look at that when I work on my next version. Thanks again for taking the time to watch my edit and to provide such helpful feedback.

Eiyosus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had myself a watch and personally didn't notice any image issues besides the normal drop in quality when something is compressed. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a whole that that can be done to this movie to make it better. I'm still waiting for all that "character development" the writer said was cut from the film to show up in a later release, but I doubt we'll ever see it.

Any reason why you didn't add the scene of Colin's suicide? That seems like the most important scene to add back in.

I was hoping you'd cut some of the bad CGI, but there may not be a whole lot you could do. If I was editing this I'd personally just shorten the shots of the aliens (not sure WHAT I could do about the helicopter face split). Maybe somehow darken the aliens so they're not so easy to make out? Not sure how that would be done. Just some suggestions since you mentioned you'll be working on this again.

I'd rate this just about the same as the original cut.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the audio is about .3 seconds behind the video for the first 15 minutes or so. I think until the deleted scene between the woman and the pilot (yeah, don't remember their names).

Toonloon

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eiyosus said:
I had myself a watch and personally didn't notice any image issues besides the normal drop in quality when something is compressed. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a whole that that can be done to this movie to make it better. I'm still waiting for all that "character development" the writer said was cut from the film to show up in a later release, but I doubt we'll ever see it.

Any reason why you didn't add the scene of Colin's suicide? That seems like the most important scene to add back in.

I was hoping you'd cut some of the bad CGI, but there may not be a whole lot you could do. If I was editing this I'd personally just shorten the shots of the aliens (not sure WHAT I could do about the helicopter face split). Maybe somehow darken the aliens so they're not so easy to make out? Not sure how that would be done. Just some suggestions since you mentioned you'll be working on this again.

I'd rate this just about the same as the original cut.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the audio is about .3 seconds behind the video for the first 15 minutes or so. I think until the deleted scene between the woman and the pilot (yeah, don't remember their names).

Thanks for your feedback.

The reason why I didn't re-instate Colin's suicide was because it was an unfinished effect. He was reacting to a leg-thing which wasn't there. Without it, it looks silly because he goes out of focus to focus on the missing CGI. And because they embedded the Morricone score in 2.0, I couldn't make any cuts or remove the music. I did make a version whic looked as if he had decided to cut his wrists in fear and then slit his throat, but I would have had to replace every single sound - knife on skin, blood dropping on wood, floorboards creaking, flames, wind, etc... it just wasn't worth it. I felt the scene was badly written anyway. They should have had a fight between two guys who turned on each other and Colin lost. Cutting your own throat and sitting down calmy to do it while a thing scampers around behind you just seems ridiculous to me.

The bad CG (IMO) was Juliette-Thing rampaging down the corridor and the Split-Face neck stretch. I couldn't really trim that without thinking it would be making it look like there were big holes. Maybe I should have tried. Point taken.

Regarding the sound... thank you for mentioning that. It caused me a hell of a lot of trouble to get it in sync. I could only move the video one frame at a time and if I moved it either way, it got worse. If you have any ideas how to fix that issue, I would love to have a few suggestions.

Eiyosus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Which would be... an 8? a 7? a 6?

Probably a five. I'm indifferent to it. Didn't love it and didn't hate it.

Toonloon said:
Thanks for your feedback.

The reason why I didn't re-instate Colin's suicide was because it was an unfinished effect. He was reacting to a leg-thing which wasn't there. Without it, it looks silly because he goes out of focus to focus on the missing CGI. And because they embedded the Morricone score in 2.0, I couldn't make any cuts or remove the music. I did make a version whic looked as if he had decided to cut his wrists in fear and then slit his throat, but I would have had to replace every single sound - knife on skin, blood dropping on wood, floorboards creaking, flames, wind, etc... it just wasn't worth it. I felt the scene was badly written anyway. They should have had a fight between two guys who turned on each other and Colin lost. Cutting your own throat and sitting down calmy to do it while a thing scampers around behind you just seems ridiculous to me.

The bad CG (IMO) was Juliette-Thing rampaging down the corridor and the Split-Face neck stretch. I couldn't really trim that without thinking it would be making it look like there were big holes. Maybe I should have tried. Point taken.

Regarding the sound... thank you for mentioning that. It caused me a hell of a lot of trouble to get it in sync. I could only move the video one frame at a time and if I moved it either way, it got worse. If you have any ideas how to fix that issue, I would love to have a few suggestions.

Yeah, the scene is pretty bad. It was a shame that probably the most memorable image of the Norwegian camp couldn't have gotten more attention. I thought you could maybe intercut that scene with the splitface rampage (or I guess it should be called "double face" now) and make it look like he's hearing that creature and kills himself from fear of that, but it still would be pretty forced.

I've reread your description on the home page, but you don't state what software you used (unless I missed it). I've made some fan edits using Womble Mpeg Video Wizard (I haven't uploaded any to the site) and it's pretty easy to do the audio with that. I would just cut the part that's out of sync, move it a few frames ahead and then just use a VERY quick cross fade at the missing frames where the cut was made. Again, not sure what software you used, so this may be irrelevant.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eiyosus said:
Probably a five. I'm indifferent to it. Didn't love it and didn't hate it.

Wow, that's pretty low. Is that just because you didn't like the original movie or you feel that the faneditor messed up in a major way?

Eiyosus said:
I've reread your description on the home page, but you don't state what software you used (unless I missed it). I've made some fan edits using Womble Mpeg Video Wizard (I haven't uploaded any to the site) and it's pretty easy to do the audio with that. I would just cut the part that's out of sync, move it a few frames ahead and then just use a VERY quick cross fade at the missing frames where the cut was made. Again, not sure what software you used, so this may be irrelevant.

This is the page with the technical info: http://fanedit.org/the-thing-2011-the-toon-thing-edit-tech-page/

Eiyosus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Wow, that's pretty low. Is that just because you didn't like the original movie or you feel that the faneditor messed up in a major way?

Ahhh, I'm just not a fan of the original film (I mean, the original 2011 film. I adore the 1982 one). The fan edit was technically well done, besides the audio sync issues.

People often say my film ratings are low, but in my system, a five is right in the middle. Not love or hate. It's not like failing a test because you scored 50%.;-)

Neglify said:

Oops. :p I think I remember them posting the tech info on the main page a while ago, although I may be mistaken. I download fan edits from time to time, but I don't visit regularly. I'm not familiar with Vegas, but I understand many people use it. I'm assuming you can do the same cut/splice technique I mentioned in my previous post.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eiyosus said:
Ahhh, I'm just not a fan of the original film (I mean, the original 2011 film. I adore the 1982 one). The fan edit was technically well done, besides the audio sync issues.

People often say my film ratings are low, but in my system, a five is right in the middle. Not love or hate. It's not like failing a test because you scored 50%.;-)

Ok, cool. Just to make it clearer, a rule on this site is that if you leave an official rating on the edit's page that is 5 or below you are required to write a detailed review explaining the low rating. We rate edits not only on how good the film is, but how well the faneditor did his job. For example... Were his cuts well executed? Did he leave plotholes when he deleted a bunch of scenes? But of course the quality of the film itself can factor into how it's rated. There are some edits that were really well executed, but the movie for me is still terrible. But I wouldn't give that a 5, I'd say an 8.

Eiyosus said:
Oops. :p I think I remember them posting the tech info on the main page a while ago, although I may be mistaken. I download fan edits from time to time, but I don't visit regularly. I'm not familiar with Vegas, but I understand many people use it. I'm assuming you can do the same cut/splice technique I mentioned in my previous post.

Yes, Vegas can do that.

Eiyosus

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Ok, cool. Just to make it clearer, a rule on this site is that if you leave an official rating on the edit's page that is 5 or below you are required to write a detailed review explaining the low rating. We rate edits not only on how good the film is, but how well the faneditor did his job. For example... Were his cuts well executed? Did he leave plotholes when he deleted a bunch of scenes? But of course the quality of the film itself can factor into how it's rated. There are some edits that were really well executed, but the movie for me is still terrible. But I wouldn't give that a 5, I'd say an 8.

Sorry for being confusing. I wasn't sure if I needed to be "formal" in the thread or not.

Top Bottom