• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Thing 2011 - Extended and Tweaked

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I contructed "THE THINGS" edit ( a mashup of both the 1982 and 2011 versions), I also made an extended version of the 2011 version.

This version addressed a few issues:

• It added in nearly all the deleted material
  • Trimmed some of the more egregious VFX
  • Trimmed some of the over exposition
  • made some slective scoring enhancements
  • Removed spoiler subtitles from the new opening
  • Removed the end credit segue to the original version and transferred to the start

I never relased this due to the overwhelming bad reviews and fan reaction to the film back then.

We all hoped to see the original VFX that were sgot with practical effects that were later replaced in post production, but this will clearly now not occur.

Over the years, I have shared this version with a few on the site, to favorable responses. So on that basis (and yet another request to wither make this oedit or release it), I believe now is the time to re-appraise this film.

The one provisio I respectfully ask to any who review this is that this was the last Standard Definition edit I made, So please score it appropriately bearing this in mind and not over penalise the source material down on image on that basis. It was and is DVD quality, and older DVD based edits were not penalised back then (unless material was less than dvd quality as some deleted scenes used to be); please bear this in mind.

I will in the fullness of time, make an HD version of this....eventually.

Another from the Archive.

ENJOY to all

W

PS

Thank you all for your understanding and forebearance.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm excited to get a copy of this once you get an HD version. One thing I was curious about is how flexible you are with colour grades, because I felt one of the damaging factors of the movie was it's 2011 release meaning it was given an awful blue scifi colour wash common to the era.
I'd love to see even a version of the theatrical cut with a more naturalistic colour grade similar to the original film.

PLease do not ask for links in the open forum.

Please read the FAQs ...

Thanks

Last edited:
I remember thinking that the 2011 film wasn't terrible, so I'm curious to see if it can be salvaged with these edits and extended scenes

I remember thinking that the 2011 film wasn't terrible, so I'm curious to see if it can be salvaged with these edits and extended scenes
Don’t forget the trims made to it too…

Back
Top Bottom