• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The story behind your nick/avatar

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stop. You know your real name is Dwight.

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mine mainly stems from the fact that my first ever home computer was the humble ZX Spectrum, and one of the best early games was Jet Set Willy, which to this day, I've never got past 5% of the total game!

CalMusquez

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well my first name is Cal... and my last name is Musquez. So I rather creatively put the two together ;-)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Six Million Dollar Man is my absolute favorite television show from my early childhood.

Colonel Steve Austin was my FIRST HERO after my father.

To this day, the show still makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside.

And I like alliteration.;-)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Over a decade ago, I was going through a bit of a cheeky high school phase. "Why should I be called ____ just because my parents once said so, long before I could crawl?" I mused. I didn't dislike my first name, mind, though I wasn't thrilled with its Christian roots/meaning; I actually thought (and think) quite highly of it, to the extent that I actively discourage people from shortening it to a nickname.

Anyhow, for a World History course, I and my best mate wrote a five-minute play about the Ottoman Janissary corps. Surfing around an Islamic names web site, I chose Gaith ("rain") for my character and Jahiz (I forget the meaning) for his. It was a fun exercise, I liked the sound of "Gaith", and am a big fan of rain, so I started using the name as an alias for my artistic output, and online identities and the like. I also kinda liked the notion of adopting a faux-Islamic identity shortly after 9/11, in solidarity with peaceful and humane Muslims worldwide.

... So, here we are. Apart from a particularly geeky boarding school mate or two, no one's ever called me Gaith in conversation, and even many of my closest friends are probably totally unaware of it. Still, it's definitely stuck for me personally, and while I am not merely Gaith, Gaith is me, and a part of me.

(And, if I were living in Matrix-world, that'd totally be my name. :p)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm Canadian and my favorite band is Metallica. I came up with the name several years ago when I was on a Metallica bootleg site and I wanted to incorporate the fact that I was Canadian with the name of one of their songs. Frantic is from their St. Anger album, clearly not one of their best albums, or songs for that matter, but I thought the name Frantic Canadian sounded cool so I went with it.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's been five years... I don't think a new thread is out of order. Plus, most of the ones who commented there are long gone. :p

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
It's been five years... I don't think a new thread is out of order. Plus, most of the ones who commented there are long gone. :p

FTG. threads merged :cool:

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol, beat me to it.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, it's been a while since this thread was updated, but I don't think I ever mentioned how or why I pick what avatars I use, and I change them once a year. (Just changed mine today, in fact.) I usually try to find something that not only shows some things I like, but is some kind of a mashup, so it captures the spirit of fan editing.

In late 2011/2012, I showed an illustration of Bill & Ted coming out of the phone booth and being surrounded by Daleks.
In 2013, I used an image of Merlin from Disney's Sword in the Stone as he instructs his apprentice Wart on how to use a lightsaber.
In 2014, I used a Photoshopped image of Sam Beckett of Quantum Leap fame hanging out with the Seventh Doctor from Doctor Who.
In 2015, I used a fan-created poster for The Force Awakens.

This year is the 50th anniversary of both The Monkees and Star Trek. I looked for some weird image that would combine the two, but I couldn't find any. So instead I used this Photoshopped image done by a brilliant artist I know from another forum. It's a picture of the final album before the official group breakup, aptly titled Changes, at which point only Davy Jones and Micky Dolenz were still part of the group. However, there were still unsued Mike Nesmith songs in the can, and the cover image was actually taken from a picture that originally included Mike.

The forum user re-inserted Mike into the picture, and then she created a new track listing with Mike songs to make a better album. She also altered the back cover and the track listing accordingly. Then she burned the playlist to a CD, she printed out a hard copy of the images to make a CD case (that feels like a record cover), and she has this (and other edited albums) sitting on her shelf.

If that doesn't encapsulate the spirit of fan editing, I don't know what does. :)

Here's the original cover for comparison purposes:

61ZWa6phOXL.jpg

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mine shows how to unclog a toilet...In case I forget.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, I thought that was a [REMOVED BY MODERATOR].

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit said:
Didn't get to it in time. You'll have to PM me with it.

Pretty sure that was voluntary self censorship. Lol.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm no Flame Warrior if that was the worry. :).

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Pretty sure that was voluntary self censorship. Lol.
Yup. Just a joke.

Top Bottom