• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN RETCON HD REDUX

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
full

Back in 2012, when I was still a newbie editor, I made a series of fan edits based on my all time favourite childhood television series THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN. In the end, I made seven entries in my rechristened CYBORG series. And while none of them were perfect, I am still generally happy with most of them. All except for one. The first one. CYBORG The Retro-Con Cut.

Being it was my first time ever working with Interlaced Television Material, I made a few mistakes in converting the episodes to MP4 format for editing. The Aspect Ratio is slightly incorrect and the file was not fully Progressive. Plus, there were some minor narrative and visual choices that I am now not entirely satisfied with.

So with this being the 50th Anniversary of TSMDM, and Shout Factory releasing the series on Blu Ray this past year, it seemed like the perfect time to go back and Rebuild this edit. Make it Faster. Stronger. Better than it was before.

Basic details: My absolute favorite hero of my childhood was THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN. For me, it was a comic book come to life before my very young eyes. Each week I would watch Colonel Steve Austin do battle with spys, evil masterminds, robots, aliens and even a bionic sasquatch! It is in my mind, one of the greatest adventure televisions shows of all time. It would be years later that I would finally watch the original trilogy of tv movies that inspired the regular series. To my surprise, there were many discrepancies and outright contradictions between the movies and the series proper. The main ones being no Oscar Goldman, different actor playing Dr. Rudy Wells, Steve as a civilian test pilot and how Steve was written (as a bionic James Bond) in the second and third movies.

My intent is to try and reconcile some of these elements from the tv movies with the established continuity of the television series. Using the season one premiere episode "Population: Zero" as my foundation, I have created a series of flashback scenes which retro-con Steve's bionic origin.

Basic Cut/Change List:

--Cut Darrin McGavin as Oliver Sempler
--Cut Martin Balsam as Dr. Rudy Wells
--Inserted Alan Oppenheimer (Dr. Wells) and Richard Anderson (Goldman) into origin flashbacks
--Added Universal Studios title card
--Added two Bionic Eye shots
--Cut Don Porter reveal in pre-titles teaser
--Used second season SMDM opening credits
--Added iconic Bionic SFX throughout edit
--Created 4 flashbacks from episodes "The Deadly Replay", "Wine, Women & War" and the SMDM pilot tv movie
--Fixed out of sync trash can fire scene
--Added additional music by Oliver Nelson
--Cut Oscar scene about power needed for weapon
--Cut Power Plant scene
--Cut reference to Steve's high school steady, as we all know Jaime is his true love lol
--Trimmed most commercial breaks
--Added End Title Cards for Cast and Source Material
RUNTIME: 70 MINUTES (4 minutes shorter than the original Retro-Con Cut)

7GB MP4 file. PM if interested. :)

@Bored at 3:00AM THANK YOU for your review.

I am happy this brought back fond childbood memories for you. :)

My only quibble is that Darren McGavin's wonderfully nasty Oliver Spencer couldn't be included in some way, but I understand that the intention of the edit was to replace him with the far warmer and cuddler Oscar Goldman.

What I found interesting when revisiting this material, and while there was no place to include it in the final edit, that in the two sequel tv movies, "Wine, Women and War" and "The Solid Gold Kidnapping", Oscar Goldman was written very much in the Oliver Spencer style, viewing Steve as nothing more than tool to be used. It is fascinating how a television series evolves and changes.

THANK YOU @gilhodges for taking the time to post a review.

Watching this and seeing all the great character actors of the era. And when I saw Don Porter I half expected Sally Field to enter with her surfboard. Or his nurse love interest who was on Ironside and in a quick flashback to see Laura Parker from Dark Shadows

I whole heartedly agree! There is a certain nostalgia magic seeing all these familiar faces again. The good old Universal Studio system and their ever reliable stable of contract players.

A fun edit to watch and on my personal popcorn scale this gets a 7 out of 5.

Ok, I am definitely coming to your place of Popcorn in the future! 😁 LOL

THANK YOU @gilhodges for taking the time to post a review.

I whole heartedly agree! There is a certain nostalgia magic seeing all these familiar faces again. The good old Universal Studio system and their ever reliable stable of contract players.

Ok, I am definitely coming to your place of Popcorn in the future! 😁 LOL
O also like how Laura Parker played a witxh on Kolchak The Night Stalker....gee I wonder where she did that before?????.......lol

O also like how Laura Parker played a witxh on Kolchak The Night Stalker....gee I wonder where she did that before?????.......lol
lol

Too bad I had to cut her down to a glorified cameo in Redux edit. But the cast for "The Deadly Replay" episode was pretty stacked! Clifton James! Jack Ging! Robert Symonds! So many wonderful 70s character actors. It's a great episode, one my absolute favourites.

@drvrjon THANK YOU for your review.

Watching this made me feel like a kid again instead of an old grumpy grandpa, which i am lol. Anybody who reads this please take 80 mins out of your day and watch this and feel like a kid again.

Lee Majors Thumbs Up GIF by UFC

😁

Even with all his snark and sarcasm, Stan Fine can not hide his love for our Bionic Hero!!!

HAPPY BIONIC 50th ANNIVERSARY!!!

January 18, 1974, after 3 tv movies, the regular series premiered with the episode “Population: Zero”!

Five seasons of mad scientists, espionage, fembots, aliens, Farrah, Jaime, robots, Death Probe and of course Bigfoot!

On this date, MARCH 7, 1973, the first tv movie pilot, CYBORG: THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, aired!

:love:

@MusicEd921 your Level 6 Clearance has been granted, welcome to the Bionic World of the O.S.I. 😁

THIS was the absolute best way to be introduced to the series. The flashbacks all make sense and are timed well within the context of the story. The first episode of the series, which I found to be fine was now elevated and the stakes felt higher as we watch our hero find his place in the world as the Bionic Man.

THANK YOU for such a positve review! So happy you enjoyed it. It was fun trying to make a "definitive" origin with all the different actors and retcons between the tv movies and main series.

My ONLY gripe.....I NEED more Bionic Man movie edits from Bob!

If the Real World decides to cooperate, I hope to do Redux HD Rebuilds of my old CYBORG edits.... one day... ;)

Back
Top Bottom