• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Simian Flu Stage One

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
An edit I did mostly for myself for fun, but figured I'd release it too. Why not? :)

fpV6mOB.png

The idea was that Fox approached several directors to do short films set between Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Stage One is by Steven Soderbergh. (The base for the edit is his film Contagion.) The story mostly covers the early spread of the disease. Stage Two is planned, but no release date as of yet.

Running time is 42 minutes. PM me for a link to the MP4.

Some brief edit details:
Contagion has been cropped to 2:35:1 (Mostly tilting and scanning, but some shots have been extended outwards with new mattes so as to retain crucial info.)

Removed all on-screen text detailing what day it is.

Starts with footage from the coda to Rise, then segues into the Contagion footage for the main run-time before concluding with Dawn footage. (And then an after credits scene using a deleted scene from Rise.)

Removed several subplots and characters such as Krumwiede (Jude Law), the cure, and Beth's infidelity.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sent a handful of PMs just now, so if you got one I hope you enjoy the edit. Next time I'll get people to post in the thread if they want a copy so that it doesn't look like no one cares. ;)

Some more specific, boring details: (Not everything.) Contains spoilers...

Rearranged opening infection montage.
Desaturated entire film slightly.

Thickened all on-screen text so that it doesn't disappear into the background quite so much.

Removed Dr. Cheever arriving for work, conversation with Roger.

Removed every scene with, or reference to, Alan Krumwiede.

Removed Mitch picking up Clark at school.

Post-montage starts with Beth staring at her mug. I've altered the video and audio to show how much trouble she's having focusing or hearing clearly.

Removed all scenes with Dr. Ian Sussman.

Altered establishing shot of CDC to remove DAY 7 text and to make it more 2:35:1 friendly.

Removed scene with Dr. Mears interviewing Mitch.

Removed scene where Dr. Hextall explains the origin of the virus and any subsequent scenes where she either refers to testing on monkeys or any progress in manufacturing a vaccine.

During Hong Kong montage, removed a shot of Dr. Orantes interviewing a woman who was infected in the first montage. I decided she had survived too long, it lessens the extreme severity of the virus.

Removed the Dr. Orantes kidnap subplot. Once she starts investigating the source of the virus (in this edit, she is unsuccessful. Patient Zero is only identified very late in the game, and off-screen.) we don't come back to her any more.

When Dr. Cheever talks to Dr. Mears on the phone (while driving), removed all reference to her having interviewed Mitch.

Removed Mitch at the funeral home.

Removed character of Aubrey Cheever, Dr. Cheever's wife.

When we see Dr. Mears appears with her head wrapped in plastic, have fixed it so that she no longer visibly breathes.

From that point on, more and more is removed so it's probably not worth mentioning. Anything to do with the cure, or things getting better is gone. We now leave it with the virus spreading more and more, no cure in sight, no hope. The last scene is Mitch alone with his grief.

The end credits give more info and jumps forward in time a fair bit. Stage Two will pick up earlier than where we leave it in Stage One.

After-credits scene hints at what is to come in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

kRZ4yPh.png

HVjpjjr.png

JXwxxKm.png

ckjwfws.png

nEWgSbg.png

9qWEDJP.png

ZkeCDzh.png

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
starwars_anewhope_1.jpg

hope to watch this sometime over the weekend. thanks, antman :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Me too please!!!!

Anything remotely connected to the APES I want to see! :)

APES rules!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All sounds and looks good :).

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review:

This was superb! I'm blown away by the reframing job UA did, especially with the shots where he had to extend the image and create new mattes. Wowza, if you hadn't told me I would have never known.

This is a simple and powerful short feature. The idea that it helps bridge the gap between Rise and Dawn is brilliant, and I especially liked how footage from Dawn was utilized at the end.

Great job! And I've put in my pre-order for Stage Two. ;)

A/V 10
Editing 10
Narrative 10
Enjoyment 9

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching -- OUTSTANDING!

Brilliant and captivating work. :clap2:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
I'm blown away by the reframing job UA did, especially with the shots where he had to extend the image and create new mattes. Wowza, if you hadn't told me I would have never known.

Precisely. I just went back and looked at those screengrabs...

Mind = Blown.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great job. My wife and I love Rise and Dawn but were disappointed by Contagion. I think you've used it wonderfully to connect the dots. I didn't notice any of the additional work - I saw the comparison shots after. Excellent job!

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Going to burn this to disc and watch it tonight or tomorrow, can't wait to see this :)

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My girlfriend really liked Contagion when it came out but I got bored watching it in the theater. The story was good but it was just too long. Framing it as an interquel to the new Planet of the Apes films really improved it in my eyes. The only thing I might like better would be some sort of a "of the Apes" title in the classic font to really push the idea of the unknown contagion being the simian flu.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The Flu of the Apes" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Simian Flu [Stage One] Contagion of the Apes
The Simian Flu [Stage One] Pandemic of the Apes
The Simian Flu [Stage One] Disease of the Apes

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll wait for this to hit .info, which gives me ample time to acquire a copy of Contagion.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
apefluenza.
there. i said it.

this one flew under my radar until a review popped up recently.

huzzah! another UA edit.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
alnaln said:
I'd like the link.

If this is your first time here please read Using This Site. It's full of useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. This site has many rules in place to protect itself and its users. Should you ever need a reminder look no further: General Rules and Own the Source Rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to an admin for further details.

alnaln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
Sent a handful of PMs just now, so if you got one I hope you enjoy the edit. Next time I'll get people to post in the thread if they want a copy so that it doesn't look like no one cares. ;)

This was my mistake ... asking for a copy in the thread ... sorry.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
alnaln said:
This was my mistake ... asking for a copy in the thread ... sorry.

Hint: Read Uncanny's signature...

Top Bottom