• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Shining: Redrum by ranger613

Such mixed feelings about this edit-- it's completed and ready actually, but I'm delaying its release because its SO different from my other releases-- Im really happy with the audio and video quality, it took a long time to create (rendering was 12 hours at a time), but I'm just worried the audience won't have the patience to sit through this, its obviously not an improvement on the original, and will certainly count as a "misfire" if released now. I'll plan for a co-release of this next month or so, or during a dry season. If you have any questions in the meantime, please feel free to ask me.

I'd love to watch it. I don't know how much I'd enjoy it, but I've been curious to watch that experimental viewing method. Send me a PM if you have it online.

And don't worry about "misfires" and whatnot. Not everything will be popular and well-reviewed. Read "The Rules of Fanediting" by Jorge. But I can understand if you want to "sandbag" this one for release at a later time.

And for what it's worth, I believe this would qualify as a "Special Project" fanedit. (See homepage of IFDB for definition.) As long as it's clear that this is an experimental type of thing, and if you describe it well enough, I don't think anybody will watch it and say "WTF? I thought this was going to be a condensed to-the-point version. RAAAAAGGGGEEE."

Hey [MENTION=9578]Neglify[/MENTION], thanks for the advice man. I'll PM you the links for review, I would definitely appreciate someone taking a look at this to let me know if I was crazy to do it, you're the man!! :)

And yes after looking at the categories, this one's surely a Special Project. I myself like the final product, but it'd be hard to revisit-- it got under my skin a little while I was making it and I got creeped out haha. Cheers man!

Finish watching it not too long ago. Man, what a trippy experience. Nicely done. And since I enjoy analyzing Kubrick movies, this was fun.

As it goes with most synchronicity-type projects, not everything melds together, some parts are really kick-ass and others are just kinda ho-hum. It's fascinating as an examination to how Kubrick structured the storyline, in terms of foreshadowing and paired scenes. For example, the scene of Jack getting frustrated when Wendy interrupts his writing alongside Wendy swinging the bat as he taunts her.

I dug the changes you made, good work with that ending. And extra points for added shots from other Kubrick flicks (I won't say what or where though ;)). The only thing you did I didn't care for was the extra bit with the family in the car at the end. We already saw it in its proper place and it felt forced in.

I definitely think this is unique enough to merit a release (when you're ready). Sure, it's not "your" idea, but you didn't just do a slapdash overlay and render. Firstly, since it's the European cut, it's already different than what all the bloggers were writing about. And with all the added tweaks and subtle manipulations, it's a different bag baby.

I'd love to show my favorite still-frame from this, but it involves full-frontal nudity, so instead I'll say this one is my favorite.

f4q3.png

Oh and this was pretty sweet too.

9f43.png

Thanks very much [MENTION=9578]Neglify[/MENTION] ! It's definitely a hit or miss, and I'm very happy you enjoyed it for what it was. I had a lot of fun making it, especially the second half where I got to add some.. creative touches ;)

Totally agree with you about the family shot in the end, I myself was debating cutting it as it felt shoehorned in... and I will for the final cut. The midpoint overlap (with the nudity) was creepy!! That was what convinced me to pursue this project in the first place, and it only happens in the European cut.

I really appreciate the kind words and will hold on to this card to play when the time is right, but it will be played! Thanks again for the support my friend :)

Only gotten one review for this so far, but I'm thinking about releasing this next week... it's a niche/cult release, won't have a lot of attention, but it will add some variety to my releases to be sure.. Cheers

I thought this was one of the more interesting things in the Room 237 docmentary and stood out from all the crackpot theorising about symbolism and hidden messages so I'll be taking a look at this when it's released :couch2:

It's cool that you've put your own spin on it too.

ghouldetail said:
I thought this was one of the more interesting things in the Room 237 docmentary and stood out from all the crackpot theorising about symbolism and hidden messages so I'll be taking a look at this when it's released :couch2:

It's cool that you've put your own spin on it too.
Thanks man! I hope you'll enjoy this edit man. Will keep you updated

Finally got round to seeing this tonight. 'The Shining' is probably the one film I've seen more times than any other - it's my wife's favourite and she never tires of it. She watched this edit with me, but I was more impressed with it than she was. There are so many great moments when the visuals gel just right that make this version worth seeing. I thought the second half would be less interesting, as you're basically watching the same moments occur again. But then you realise that some visuals work better with the audio, and the film takes on a new life again. It's difficult to explain, which is why you should see this and experience it yourself. The scenes at the ballroom bar were excellent, and the added edits there worked well. I didn't like the ending so much and would have preferred the full reverse picture rather than the maze scenes left untouched. And I'm also glad to hear the added family car scene won't make the full release.

Overall, I was hypnotized by this edit from the word go; the film lends itself so well to ghostly images. It's not something I'll return to over and over, but definitely a unique experience. For fans of Kubrick, not to be missed. Cheers.

Garp said:
Finally got round to seeing this tonight. 'The Shining' is probably the one film I've seen more times than any other - it's my wife's favourite and she never tires of it. She watched this edit with me, but I was more impressed with it than she was. There are so many great moments when the visuals gel just right that make this version worth seeing. I thought the second half would be less interesting, as you're basically watching the same moments occur again. But then you realise that some visuals work better with the audio, and the film takes on a new life again. It's difficult to explain, which is why you should see this and experience it yourself. The scenes at the ballroom bar were excellent, and the added edits there worked well. I didn't like the ending so much and would have preferred the full reverse picture rather than the maze scenes left untouched. And I'm also glad to hear the added family car scene won't make the full release.

Overall, I was hypnotized by this edit from the word go; the film lends itself so well to ghostly images. It's not something I'll return to over and over, but definitely a unique experience. For fans of Kubrick, not to be missed. Cheers.
Thanks for the kind words [MENTION=15423]Garp[/MENTION]. I'm rendering the final cut for release now, definitely the most experimental thing I've done, and I'm glad it has an audience. Problem with the end is that the reverse footage was too bright and took away from the intensity of the forward stream on a trial run. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

Finally completed to my liking, and submitted. Poster:

tumblr_n9351xd9CT1tew1ifo3_1280.jpg

dario light said:
where do i get this edit ?????

Please read the site rules at the top of the page and maybe PM the editor.

Has anyone had any issues with the .mp4 audio track not playing in iTunes? Video plays perfectly.

theslime said:
Crappy? The European version is soooo much better and creepier! (Also, it's technically the director's cut, although that doesn't really matter at fanedit.org or to me personally since both versions are official.) I agree with Mollo.

Man, those cobwebbed skeletons take me out of the moment. Laughable stuff.

I know I'm really late to the party, but if you listen to what Jack says about Wendy in the interview scene, the skeletons make a lot of sense.

SilverWook said:
I know I'm really late to the party, but if you listen to what Jack says about Wendy in the interview scene, the skeletons make a lot of sense.

Agreed.

Having just finished watching this edit I would recommend it for sure. Although I felt the backwards stream was somewhat distracting a good bit of the time it was really worth the payoff in the end. It was very trippy seeing Danny moonwalk (not really, just backwards walk) his way out of the room with Jack when Jack was interrogating his mom in room where he was "working" on his novel. That was just one of the many scenes that worked very well.

Back
Top Bottom