• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Shadow Strikes!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Would it be too naive to hope for deleted scenes?

Blackhawk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My wife and I watched this last night. She is a big fan of all pulps and I am too, to a lesser extent. However, I did like "The Shadow" when it was released, even though I thought it could have been better. I liked Bionic Bob's decision to remove the expository scenes at the beginning of the movie that show something of the origin of the Shadow. We don't really need that and the movie works better without it. His other cuts were not so obvious but they did make the movie flow more smoothly. The conversion to black and white was even more effective than I expected it to be. Along with the 4x3 format from the DVD, it does make it feel like an older movie. I'll still get the Blu-ray when it's released but I'm glad I have this version, too. The menus and extras were excellent, as well.

A great job. Thanks.

Dan

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for posting Dan, glad you enjoyed the show. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bought this today....

6lvy.jpg

Originally, Raimi planned on making a SHADOW movie, but the rights got all tangled up or something, so he instead created DARKMAN. An absolute classic!

Next week, Shout Factory's SHADOW COLLECTOR'S EDITION comes out!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Next week, Shout Factory's SHADOW COLLECTOR'S EDITION comes out!

Good tip! This is a screenshot...

9527_5_large.jpg

:jaw:that looks amazing! Want want want.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks [MENTION=17556]skyled[/MENTION] for taking the time to post a review on IFDB, it is greatly appreciated.

I agree that "colour blind" joke does not work in this Black & White version, but at the same time, it could not be cut due to plot.

Glad you enjoyed the edit.

If you enjoy the original colour version of THE SHADOW, I highly recommend you pick up (if you do not already own it) Shout Factory's Collector's Edition of The Shadow, as it looks SPECTACULAR!!! :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
post removed by me.... suffering Cart-Before-Horse Syndrome... :p

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I saw it and I'm looking forward to what you do with it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you to [MENTION=32415]rhade[/MENTION] for taking the time to post a review.

While the transfer to Black and White and use of aged film effects is subjective and I can understand why it did not work for you and can accept that, I do take issue that you say the edit is now "choppy" and now has "plot holes". Could you explain specifically what you mean by this? The only thing I can think of is the movie no longer shows the Shadow's full origin story, but only hints at it. But this was done deliberately to keep the style and tone of the Shadow more mysterious and true to his pulp roots.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I received a review one time where the reviewer said that the item edited felt like there were too many quick cuts and it was a little hard to follow. All I had done was remove commercial fades.....

R

rhade

‏What I mean by choppy, is that I had a distinct feeling in places that the scenes stand apart. Like skipping pages in a book. My co-watcher had not seen the original and despite eventually liking the film based on the edit, did ask what was with that "Tibetan dream guy", the "dagger" and Lamont and Khan talking random common history.
My ratings are somewhat biased as I like the original a lot, but I gave them also with feature films in general as a benchmark.
Anyhow, you did put work into it and I can appreciate that. Cheers

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen all three Strikes! and the Shadow bears the closest resemblance to an old Columbia serial.
The interior production values are higher here than than Phantom and Gentleman.
The black n white contrast looks terrific, and, in my opinion, the Shadow suffers minimal "damage."
This was a fine film to begin with - Baldwin is superb and believable - and a good entry point to check out BionicBob's Strikes! edits.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't mind negative reviews or criticism. In fact, I welcome criticism. So long as it is constructive and specific. It is how I learn and hopefully improve my skills. I am not perfect and I openly acknowledge many of my edits are still flawed and could have been better. I also realize, most of my edits are not mainstream and may not appeal to a very large audience. And while I am not the most technically proficient editor on the forum, I do believe one of my strengths as a storyteller is narrative and I take great pains whenever possible to maintain continuity.

So when a newbie member, with no history with the site, just shows up and posts a very negative review without giving specific details.... well, it makes me angry and the word "TROLL" instantly jumps into my mind. This may not be the case in this instance, but rhade has certainly cast him/herself in a very unflattering light.

Anyway, in happier, related news.....

The 200th adventure of DOC SAVAGE is scheduled to be released this year and it will feature the first ever prose team up with.... you guessed it.... THE SHADOW!!!! The title of the novel THE SINISTER SHADOW. No official release date.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
rhade has certainly cast him/herself in a very unflattering light.

I already PMd rhade last night, asking for an explanation for the review scores. We'll see.

reaper18783x

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I don't mind negative reviews or criticism. In fact, I welcome criticism. So long as it is constructive and specific. It is how I learn and hopefully improve my skills. I am not perfect and I openly acknowledge many of my edits are still flawed and could have been better.

i think all fanediters think that way that is why we always make 2.0s and recuts.
it was a very negative review and untill he has made an edit himself then he can write stuff like that, because it is very hard to fanedit and to get it right from footage we (fanediters) had no control over. i loved the phantom edit and have watched with friends and we all liked it so forget what he said because you made a really good fanedit.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rhade I've restored your post. Please don't do that again.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
rhade said:
‏What I mean by choppy, is that I had a distinct feeling in places that the scenes stand apart. Like skipping pages in a book. My co-watcher had not seen the original and despite eventually liking the film based on the edit, did ask what was with that "Tibetan dream guy", the "dagger" and Lamont and Khan talking random common history.
My ratings are somewhat biased as I like the original a lot, but I gave them also with feature films in general as a benchmark.
Anyhow, you did put work into it and I can appreciate that. Cheers

Thank you for taking the time to clarify your remarks, it is appreciated.

Sorry if my cuts did not work for you. This edit is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Personally, I have always enjoyed movies and stories with the "mysterious stranger" (Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter)... a character where its up to the audience to interpret what the hero's past relationships and motivations are....

The Shadow of the pulp novels was such a character. His true origins always murky.... glimpses and suggestions given then later contradicted or altered. I wanted the edit to reflect that aspect of the original character more. Plus, I think Baldwin looked absolutely ridiculous in that wig.... lol.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to @"lapis molari" for his recent review. :)

And I agree, an animated Kaluta-styled Shadow movie would be soooooooooo awesome!!!!   I wonder if it would be possible to create a motion comic movie with audio from one of the old Radio plays?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
 I wonder if it would be possible to create a motion comic movie with audio from one of the old Radio plays?

OMG that would be so awesome to watch!  I wish I had the technical know how because I'd love to even bring some Green Hornet stuff to life!

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
. . . an animated Kaluta-styled Shadow movie would be soooooooooo awesome!!!!   I wonder if it would be possible to create a motion comic movie with audio from one of the old Radio plays?

Might be better to use Shadow comics (if there are such things) and remove all dialogue balloons.
Then assemble a pile of audio clips from OTR episodes.
That would be difficult, ie time consuming.
Fitting together might be easier, and you might even source new music cues.
That is what Siebener did for his Superman OTR edits.

Top Bottom