• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Shadow Knows

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Shadow (1994) brings us the original caped crusader, the inspiration for Batman and many other superheroes from the 1930s. Only Buck Rogers predates The Shadow in the (super-)hero pulp stories and comics. The film is great in its details but less memorable as a whole. Sadly, a good example of the sum being less than its parts.

FE has a solid fanedit, @"bionicbob"'s The Shadow Strikes. It's black-and-white story offers many improvements, but satisfies me more as a complement to the original than as a full replacement. After years of enjoying both, I'm finally keen to add a fanedit in full color. My 9-year-old has started asking about that Shadow movie and wants to see it. :p

I intend to differ from bionicbob's edit on three main points:
- Celebrate the gorgeous sets and costumes in high-resolution color (using the Shout Factory blu-ray).
- Celebrate Jerry Goldsmith's score by adding unused cues from the Intrada CDs (at the expense of Original Sin and a repeat of Poppy Fields).
- Show Ying-Ko's back-story through three dreams (letting the film open in medias res on the bridge). In this edit the dreams build up in awfulness: recurring and escalating reminders of The Shadow's ruthless past.

Not in-the-works yet, I first want to complete my Buck Rogers set and mostly-finished James Bonds. :shy:

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
The Shadow (1994) brings us the original caped crusader, the inspiration for Batman and many other superheroes from the 1930s. Only Buck Rogers predates The Shadow in the (super-)hero pulp stories and comics.

Say what?

;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love this!!!

The Shout Factory Blu Ray is gorgeous!  I have always wanted to re-do my Shadow edit in colour (and 16x9!!!) but now I will not have to!  Really looking forward to this project!!!

If you need any help or previewers, I am totally game!  :D

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
If you need any help or previewers, I am totally game!  :D

Thanks, @"bionicbob" ! I will gladly take you up on that offer.

In your Shadow Strikes thread, you linked the Taylor Dayne music video with a great shot of The Shadow and his fluttering cape. Did you ever find that clip in good resolution? Because I'm finding no HD or DVD source for that music video, and the 360p on youtube looks too pixelated in a 1080p edit. :(

Your opening credits are fantastic. Any chance you, or @"Rogue-theX" !, still have the original color files for that? I'd love to repeat that opening in hi-res color. I'd add another Kaluta image in there, but otherwise I think it's perfect.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sadly, no, I was never able to find a hi-rez version of the wonderful Taylor Dayne music video.  I was really shocked it was not included as bonus feature on the Shout Factory Collectors Edition.... but I imagine the music rights were too expensive.   And in my research, I was never able to find a reason why the shot exists in the music video but not the movie proper?

And no, I no longer have any of my old Shadow art files... but they were pretty easy to find with good old Google lol

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Heh, I don't even remember doing that. Yep, I still have the files but they are not suitable for HD. There are three, 720x480 (from 2013? that long?) one is black and white and a bit blurred probably for masking, the 2nd is in color (red and cream/yellow) and its pixelated by HD standards and the last is really blurry I guess for drop shadow? I think I could put them on imgur if you want. I don't remember what font I used, or if it was even the right one.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
I think I could put them on imgur if you want.

Yes, please! I can use that as my starting template to recreate the opening in full-color HD. :)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Sadly, no, I was never able to find a hi-rez version of the wonderful Taylor Dayne music video.

It is indeed amazing, and I also would love to seen an HD version. Until a full restoration is made, upscalers, do your duty! :p

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
xrdQLIi.png

K3W74cq.png

GglJbsb.png

There you go.  :)

Flubly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's a pretty good chance that the German bluray by Koch has the music video:

Amazon listing that says "Musikvideo Taylor Dayne - Original Sin"

Official Koch listing that just says "Musikvideo" in the extras.

Whether it's HD or not is still an uncertainty though.

Edit: Yeah, it's definitely on there according to some owner reviews at bluray-disc.de
None of them mention the quality, though.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

My only real strong disagreement about this video is the comments they make about Baldwin in the Shadow make-up, as the commenter obviously does not have a clear understanding of the pulp roots of the Shadow or his iconic look.  He also lists Lester Dent as the Shadow creator which is not truly correct.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Rogue-theX" , thank you for sharing those. I'll go play around with them once I get to the opening credits. Much appreciated! :)

@"Flubly" , thanks for the info. I've found reviews of the German Koch blu-ray that confirm the music video is in SD. That's better than 360p but not (yet) motivating to spend money on.

Looking through the Tibet scenes, I notice that the Shout blu-ray is out of sync in several scenes. But by different amounts even within one scene??? When Ying-Ko orders to shoot through Wu, the bits before "Wu, you are like a..." are more out of sync than the lines right after it. Odd. Oh well, easily fixed in a fanedit. :p

Flubly

Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
@"Flubly" , thanks for the info. I've found reviews of the German Koch blu-ray that confirm the music video is in SD. That's better than 360p but not (yet) motivating to spend money on.

Bummer. Yeah, even if it's a high bit-rate copy of what's on youtube, for some reason the movie inserts have a crazy amount of aliasing not present in the Taylor Dayne footage.

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Shadow teaser poster for WM Kaluta fans. :cool:

Shadow,%20The%20(1994)%20poster%20Style3%20Kaluta.jpg

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Shadow teaser poster for mysticism fans.  ;)

Shadow,%20The%20(1994)%20poster%20Style4%20Silver%20Sarcophagus.jpg

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Shadow teaser poster for steampunk fans. :D

Shadow,%20The%20(1994)%20poster%20Style5%20Beryllium%20Sphere.jpg

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Shadow teaser poster for pulp fans. :heart:

Shadow,%20The%20(1994)%20poster%20Style1%20Pulp.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great posters @"lapis molari" 

LOVE THEM!!! :D

lapis molari

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Great posters @"lapis molari" 

LOVE THEM!!! :D

Thank you! With the whole family home all the time right now, I find little time to focus on editing. Instead I'm making covers. They don't require me to focus for any length of time like editing does.

Top Bottom