• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Saga of Leia Skywalker: Episode I – The Star Wars (A Screenplay)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Once upon a time, I tried my hand at rewriting the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. Now I'm delving into the earlier drafts, the novelizations, the radio dramas, the forgotten/abandoned ideas, strip-mining them for all that they're worth, and trying my hand at the grandest blasphemy of all — rewriting the Original Trilogy.

My Star Wars won't take place a long time ago. It won't take place in a galaxy far, far away. It won't feature aliens from a thousand worlds. My Star Wars will be set far into mankind's future, long after we have spread beyond a forgotten Earth to subdue and replenish an empty galaxy. As such, it will be a fundamentally human story, with all the white, black, and gray magic we embody.

EXT. SPACE

TITLE CARD: The Milky Way Galaxy, a long time from now….

A vast sea of stars serves as the main backdrop for the main title, followed by a roll up, which crawls up into infinity.

THE STAR WARS

It is a period of civil war. A brave REBEL ALLIANCE has challenged the tyranny and oppression of the awesome GALACTIC EMPIRE. Striking from a hidden fortress, Rebel starships have won their first victory in a battle with the powerful Imperial Starfleet.

Fearing another defeat could bring a thousand more systems into the Rebellion, the Empire has begun constructing their ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armoured space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, PRINCESS ZARA OF ALDERAAN races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen Death Star plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy….

PAN DOWN

To the awesome yellow planet of Tatooine and its two moons glowing against the darkness.

A tiny Rebel starship, the hammer-shaped Tantive IV, races into view, pursued by the Devastator, a giant wedge-shaped Imperial Star Destroyer. Launched from the warship, numerous smart missiles streak towards the Tantive IV. Evading the Tantive's point-defense lasers, enough missles get through to detonate on the Rebel craft's hull.

INT. TANTIVE IV/MAIN CORRIDOR

An explosion rocks the ship as two robots, ARTOO-DETOO & SEE-THREEPIO, struggle to make their way through the shuddering passageway. Artoo is a short, barrel-shaped, claw-armed tripod, its face a mass of computer lights surrounding a radar eye. Threepio is a tall, slender robot of human proportions, its bronze plating of an Art Deco design. Both robots are old and battered.

Another blast rattles the ship. The corridor goes black as power dies throughout the vessel, then red as emergency lights come online.

C-3PO: They've shut down the main reactor. Madness, this is madness. (shakes head) This time we'll be destroyed for sure.

Security officers in loose-fitting gray-&-black uniforms and open-face helmets rush past the robots. Taking up position in the main passageway, drawing their phased plasma guns, they face the sealed entry hatch.

C-3PO: There's no escape for the captain this time.

The little dwarf robot makes a series of electronic sounds that only another robot could understand.

EXT. SPACE

The Devastator has overtaken the Tantive IV. The smaller Rebel ship is being drawn into the underside dock of the giant Imperial starship.

Tension mounts as loud metallic latches clank and the groans of heavy equipment are heard moving around the outside hull of the ship. The nervous Rebel troopers aim their PPGs.

Suddenly, a tremendous blast opens up the hatch and a score of fearsome soldiers clad head-to-toe in full suits of polished white armour make their way into the smoking corridor — Imperial stormtroopers. The security officers set the entire passageway ablaze with plasmafire. The red plasma bolts leave black marks on the corridor walls, but dissipate without effect against the stormtroopers' reactive armour. Bringing their Gauss rifles to bear, the stormtroopers return fire. The electromagnetically propelled bullets tear through the lightly armoured Rebels with ease.

Once the Rebels have been routed, an awesome, seven-foot-tall figure emerges through the ruptured hatch into the Tantive IV. This is DARTH VADER, First Knight of the Sith, right hand of the Dark Lord of the Sith himself. Dressed in flowing black cloak, robes, and black-&-chrome armour, face concealed behind a grotesque death's-head helmet, he stands out next to the white-armored stormtroopers under his command.

INT. TANTIVE IV/SUB-CORRIDOR #1

Threepio stands in a dim hallway, somewhat bewildered. Artoo is nowhere in sight. The pitiful screams of the doomed Rebels can be heard in the distance.

C-3PO: Artoo-Detoo — where are you?

A familiar clanking sound attracts Threepio's attention and it spots little Artoo at the end of the corridor in an alcove. Kneeling in front of Artoo is a beautiful young girl. 16 years old, auburn hair worn up in double buns, she is PRINCESS ZARA ANTILLES, a member of the Imperial Senate. Finishing adjusting something on Artoo's computer face, she stands up straight, watching the little robot as it joins its companion. Threepio takes only momentary notice of the girl and then she is gone.

C-3PO: Where have you been? Hiding, I suppose. (beat) They'll be coming back this way, looking for human survivors. (despondant) What are we going to do now? They won't trust the word of Rebel-owned machines that we don't know anything of value. We'll be sent to the spice mines of Kessel or smashed into who-knows-what! If we don't —

Artoo scoots past its bronze friend and races down the corridor. 

C-3PO: Wait, where are you going‽ Haven't you been listening to me‽

Threepio chases after it.

INT. TANTIVE IV/COCKPIT ANTECHAMBER

Darth Vader stands among the broken and twisted bodies of his foes. His hand raised, he holds the Tantive's wounded captain suspended in the air telekinetically. A stormtrooper rushes up to the First Knight.

STORMTROOPER #1: Nothing, sir. IRS' been wiped clean.

Vader closes his hand into a fist. The Rebel, struggling in vain, begins choking.

DARTH VADER: Where is the information you intercepted? What have you done with those plans?

CAPT. ORGANA: (choking) We ... intercepted ... no information. This is a ... consular vessel…. We're on a ... diplomatic ... mission.

DARTH VADER: (angry) Chaos take your mission! Where are those plans‽

The Rebel cannot speak.

DARTH VADER: (cont'd) This ship carries the system crest of Alderaan. Is any of the royal family on board? Who are you carrying?

The First Knight clenches his fist tight, creating a gruesome snapping of bone. After Organa goes limp, Vader tosses the dead captain against the wall and turns to his troops.

DARTH VADER: Start tearing this ship apart piece by piece, component by component, until you find those plans! As for the passengers, I want them alive!

The stormtroopers scurry into the corridors.

INT. TANTIVE IV/LIFEPOD BAY

Artoo finally comes to a halt in an empty corridor devoid of the signs of battle. A worried, confused Threepio pulls up behind it.

C-3PO: You've led us through half the ship, and to what...?

Artoo stops before the small hatch of an emergency lifepod. It snaps the seal on the main latch and a red warning light begins flashing. The stubby robot works its way into the cramped four-man pod.

C-3PO: Hey, you're not permitted in there! It's restricted to humans only. (beat) We just might be able to convince the Imperials that we're not Rebel programmed and are too valuable to break up, but if someone see you in there we haven't got a chance. Come on out!

Artoo whistles something at its reluctant friend regarding the mission it is about to perform.

C-3PO: Mission‽ What mission? What are you talking about? You sound like you haven't got an integrated logic terminal left in your brain. (beat) No, no more adventures. I'll take my chances with the Imperials — and I'm not getting in there!

Artoo isn't happy with Threepio's stubbornness and it beeps and twangs angrily. 

C-3PO: Don't call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease!

A new explosion, this time very close, sends dust and debris through the narrow corridor. Flames lick at Threepio and after a flurry of electronic swearing from Artoo, the lanky robot jumps into the lifepod.

C-3PO: (resigned) I'm going to regret this.

The safety door snaps shut and with the thunder of exploding latches, the tiny lifepod ejects from the disabled starship.

INT. DEVASTATOR/BRIDGE

At his station, the cyborg weapons officer detects the lifepod carrying the two terrified robots speed away from the stricken Rebel spacecraft through his interface with the Star Destroyer's sensors.

WEAPONS OFFICER: There goes another pod, sir. Instructions?

Looking over his shoulder, the captain sees what the weapons officer sees over a small redundant viewscreen.

CAPTAIN: Hold your fire, Lieutenant. Instruments show no lifeforms aboard. The pod's release mechanism must have short-circuited or received a false instruction. Don't waste your power.

INT. TANTIVE IV/SUB-CORRIDOR #2

Zara huddles in a small alcove as the stormtroopers search through the ship. The fear in her eyes slowly gives way to anger as the muted sounds of the approaching stormtroopers grow louder. One of the troopers spots her and radios to his comrades.

STORMTROOPER #2: Set for stun.

Zara steps from her hiding place and blasts two troopers with her Gauss pistol. She starts to run but is felled by a paralyzing electrolaser. The troopers inspect her inert body.

STORMTROOPER #3: She'll be alright. Report to Lord Vader.

EXT. SPACE — TATOOINE

The yellow mass of Tatooine seems to engulf the tiny lifepod containing the two robots as the pod descends toward the planet.

INT. LIFEPOD

Artoo and Threepio look out at the receding starships.

C-3PO: That's funny. The damage doesn't look as bad from out here. (beat) Are you sure you know how to pilot this thing?

EXT. TATOOINE — DESERT WASTELAND — DAY

Under a butterscotch sky, a death-white wasteland stretches from horizon to horizon. The tremendous heat of two twin suns settles on a lone figure attired in a sun hat and the simple white tunic and trousers of a farmer, LEIA SKYWALKER. 18 years old, Leia is a tall, rustically pretty girl, her sun-kissed blond hair cropped short, her large eyes intense blue.

A light wind whips at her as she adjusts several valves on a large battered moisture vaporator which sticks out of the desert floor much like an oil pipe with valves. She is aided by a beat-up treaded robot with six arms. The little robot appears to be barely functional, moving jerkily.

A bright sparkle in the cloudless sky catches Leia's eye and she instinctively grabs a pair of macrobinoculars from her utility belt.

LEIA'S P.O.V. — SPACE BATTLE

Through the macrobinoculars, Leia sees two small silver specks, light flashing between them.

EXT. TATOOINE — DESERT WASTELAND — DAY

She stands transfigured for a few moments, studying the heavens, then dashes toward her dented, crudely repaired landspeeder. She motions for the tiny robot to follow.

LEIA: Hurry up! What are you waiting for‽ Get it in gear!

The robot scoots around in a tight circle, stops short, and smoke begins pouring from every crevice. Exasperated, the young farm girl jumps into her landspeeder, leaving the smouldering robot to hum madly.

EXT. ANCHORHEAD - POWER STATION - DAY

Heat waves radiate from the dozen or so bleached white buildings. Leia pilots her landspeeder through the dusty empty street of the tiny settlement. An old woman runs to get out of the way of the speeding vehicle, shaking her fist at Leia as the younger woman glides past.

Leia pulls up behind a low concrete service station that is all but covered by the shifting desert sands.

INT. POWER STATION/FRONT OFFICE - DAY

Leia bursts into the power station, waking FIXER, a rugged mechanic, and CAMIE, a tall, sexy brunette who has been asleep on his lap.

LEIA: (excited) Hey! Hey, everybody!

They grumble as she races through the office, yelling wildly.

FIXER: (groggy) Did I hear a young noise blast through here?

CAMIE: (stretches) Oh, that was just Wormie on one of her rampages.

INT. POWER STATION/INSTRUMENT ROOM — ROOM

Leia bounces into a small room behind the office where DEAK and WINDY, two tough boys about the same age as Leia, are playing a pool-like game with BIGGS, a burly, handsome man a few years older than the rest. His flashy city attire is a sharp contrast to the loose-fitting tunics of the farm kids. A robot repairs some equipment in the background.

LEIA: Shape it up you guys! (beat) Biggs?

BIGGS: (grins) Hello, Leia.

Leia's surprise at the appearance of Biggs gives way to great joy and emotion. They give each other a great bear hug.

LEIA: I didn't know you were back! When did you get in?

BIGGS: Just a little while ago. I wanted to surprise you, hotshot. (nods to Deak & Windy) I thought you'd be here with these other two nightcrawlers. I certainly didn't expect you to be out working. (laughs)

LEIA: The academy didn't change you much. (beat) But you're back so soon? (concerned) Hey, what happened? Didn't you get your commission?

Biggs has an air of cool that seems slightly phony.

BIGGS: Of course I got it. Signed to serve aboard the freighter Rand Ecliptic just last week. First Mate Biggs Darklighter, at your service. (salutes) I just came back to say goodbye to all you unfortunate landlocked simpletons.

Everyone laughs. The dazzling spectacle of Leia's dashing friend is almost too much, but suddenly she snaps out of it.

LEIA: I almost forgot. There's a battle going on right here in our system. Come and look!

DEAK: (annoyed) Not another one of your epic battles, Leia. Haven't you dreamed up enough of them? Forget it.

LEIA: Forget it, hell — I'm serious! It's a battle, all right.

EXT. ANCHORHEAD - POWER STATION - DAY

The group stumbles out into the stifling desert sun. Camie and Fixer complain and are forced to shade their eyes. Leia has her macrobinoculars out scanning the heavens.

LEIA: I told you. (points) There they are.

Biggs take the macrobinoculars from Leia as the others strain to see something with the naked eye.

BIGGS: That's no battle, hotshot. (lowers macrobinocs) They're just sitting there. (beat) Two ships, alright — probably a barge loading a freighter.

LEIA: (takes macrobinocs back) But there was a lot of firing earlier….

Camie wrests the macrobinoculars from Leia's hands.

LEIA: (irate) Hey! Easy with those.

CAMIE: Don't worry so much, Wormie. (peers through macrobinocs)

FIXER: I keep telling you, the rebellion is a long way from here. I doubt if the Empire would even fight to keep this system. Believe me, Leia, this planet is a big hunk of nothing.

The group stumbles back into the power station, grumbling about Leia's ineptitude.

Princess Zara is led down a low-ceilinged hallway by a squad of armoured stormtroopers. Her hands are bound and she is brutally shoved when she is unable to keep up with the briskly marching troops. They stop in the smouldering corridor as Darth Vader emerges from the shadows. The sinister First Knight stares hard at the petite young senator, but she doesn't move.

ZARA: Darth Vader. I should have known. Only you would be so bold. The Imperial senate will not sit still for this. When they hear you've attacked a diplomatic miss—

DARTH VADER: Don't play games with me, Your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system, ignoring numerous warnings and completely disregarding orders to turn about — until it no longer mattered. (looms in close) I know that several transmissions were beamed to this vessel by spies within that system. When we traced those transmissions back to the individuals with whom they originated, they had the poor grace to kill themselves before they could be questioned. I want to know what happened to the data they sent you.

ZARA: (unfazed) I don't know what you're blathering about. I'm a member of the Senate on a diplomatic mission to —

DARTH VADER: Your part of the Rebel Alliance. You're also a traitor. (to stormtroopers) Take her away.

Zara is marched away down the corridor and through the blasted hatch into the Devastator. An Imperial commander strides up to Vader.

COMMANDER: Holding her is dangerous. If word of this gets out, there will be much unrest in the Senate. It will generate sympathy for the rebellion. (beat) She should be destroyed.

DARTH VADER: No. My first duty is to find that hidden fortress of theirs. All the Rebel spies have been eliminated — by our hand or by their own. Therefore she is now my only key to discovering its location. I intend to make full use of her. If necessary, I will use her up. But I will learn the location of the Rebel base.

COMMANDER: She'll die before she gives you any information.

DARTH VADER: Leave that to me. (beat) Send out a wide-beam distress signal. Indicate that the senator's ship encountered an unexpected meteor cluster it could not avoid. Readings indicate that the shields were overriden and the ship was hulled to the point of vacating 95% of its atmosphere. Inform her father and the Senate that all aboard were killed.

Troopers approach Vader and the commander.

STORMTROOPER #4: The plans are not aboard this ship. There is no valuable information in the ship's storage banks and no evidence of bank erasure. Nor were any transmissions directed outward from the ship from the time we made contact. A malfunctioning lifeboat pod was ejected during the fighting, but it was confirmed at the time that no lifeforms were on board.

DARTH VADER: It could have been a malfunctioning pod ... that might have also contained the plans. Datacards are not lifeforms. (beat) In all probability, any native finding them would be ignorant of their importance and would likely clear them for their own use. Still, send down a detachment to retrieve them, or to make certain they are not in the pod. Be as subtle as possible; there is no need to attract attention, even on this miserable outpost.

The troopers depart. Vader turns to the commander.

DARTH VADER: Vaporize this craft. We don't want to leave anything. As for the pod, I cannot take the chance it was a simple malfunction. The data it might contain could prove too damaging. (beat) See to this personally, Commander. If those datacards exist, they must be retrieved or destroyed at all costs. With that accomplished and the senator in our hands, we will see the end of this absurd rebellion.

The commander gives the First Knight a short bow and exits.​

Back
Top Bottom