• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Room is Tearing Me Apart, Lisa (Bad DVD Rip)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to rip The Room using DVDFab, and it's not going so well. Here are the (very strange) facts of the case...

1) DVDfab reports the size of the DVD as 3 MB :-?
2) If I use DVDfab to rip the DVD, I get a video folder 3 MB big
3) Win Explorer reports the size of the DVD as 5 GB...makes sense, but...
4) If I use Win Explorer to look at the Video_TS folder, it says it is 47 GB :shock:
5) There are 47 GB of files in the Video_TS folder - it's the same vob files (each 1 GB as usual) repeated over and over
6) The DVD plays normally on my PC through PowerDVD
7) It also plays fine on my stand-alone player.

What the Wiseau is going on here?

What the heck?

Can you try another ripper, like dvdshrink or dvd decrypter and see if it's the same problem with those too?

Isn't dvd decrypter just an older version of DVD Fab?

Anyway, tried dvdshrink and got an error: "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file. Data error (cyclic redundancy check)."

I'm starting to wonder if it's a bad disc despite the fact that it seems to play fine. I ran into a similar problem once before.

DVD Decrypter is decidedly out of date. You could try AnyDVD.

Dvd decrypter is out of date, sometimes though when dvdfab doesn't do it and then dvdshrink doesn't do it dvddecrypter might be able to do it. I only use it as a last resort.

Well, now I'm starting to think The Room just has an advanced Tommy Wiseau copy protection scheme :p

I noticed my DVDFab is out of date, so I updated it...and it worked just fine. Don't know about the rest of the issues, but don't care.

Be watching for Jango Wiseau :-D

The two golden rules when something isn't working that we all are guilty of forgetting from time to time:

1: Make sure software is up-to-date.
2: Reboot.

:lol:

I remembered 2 but forgot 1 :oops:

geminigod said:
The two golden rules when something isn't working that we all are guilty of forgetting from time to time:

1: Make sure software is up-to-date.
2: Reboot.

:lol:

Oh geminigod you think of everything!:p

To be fair, that doesn't explain the 47 GB thing...

TV's Frink said:
To be fair, that doesn't explain the 47 GB thing...

No... but who cares? It's 47GB of awesome!

I had a problem ripping TF: RotF with DVD Shrink, so I used the free trial of DVDFab, and it worked fine.

Then I couldn't use DVDFab to rip TF: DotM, so I used DVD Shrink. It gave the same cyclic redundancy check error, but it also listed multiple copies of the film, each with slightly different running lengths. I was finally able to rip it by choosing Re-author and picking the right one.

Back
Top Bottom