• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Return of Sherlock (SHERLOCK S3 Edit)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Inspired by Zarius' The Little that Remains edit and Rangerkris' fan edit of the Moriarty arc form season 1 & 2, I have decided to make somewhat of a "sequel" of the sort. Sherlock is by far my favorite TV show and my goal was to combine The Empty Hearse and The Sign of Three. I feel that this edit focuses on John and Sherlock and how their relationship is repaired. So, I set to work and this is what came out.

Changes:

Added custom "BBC Films" logo/intro
trimmed some shots of John and the tube to hide the title card and opening credits
Cut Mycroft and Sherlock torture/meeting
Cut Mrs. Hudson being mad at John for not calling her
Removed Jack the Ripper subplot/investigation
Cut light flash when John closes his eyes and prepares for the end
Removed friends reunion and meeting Molly's boyfriend
Moved C. A. M. to after credits
Sherlock explaining to Anderson how he survived bridges the two episodes (removed Jack the Ripper reference and Anderson's breakdown)
Cut clown robbers montage and Lestrade coming to Baker Street
Cut opening credits from Sign of Three
Cut Sherlock and Janine exchange
Rearranged and cut some scenes throughout wedding before Sherlock's speech 
Trimmed ending dance

Additional info:
I did not change the end credits at all and used sign of three's credits. This edit is 143 minutes long including the credits.

Hope you enjoy!  :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The "Pending" forum is for edits in the process of being previewed by the ifdb Academy. Thread moved to 'in the works' for now.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Glad to hear my edits inspired you here. :)

I misss Rangerkris :( , He was as fanatical about Sherlock and other shows as I was and was very helpful and inspirational, that Fall of Sherlock edit was a real favourite

Good idea about minimizing the explanation to Anderson, the breakdown was just the writers taking pot shots at the fans at the end of the day.

Is there a chance you're going to cut out the drunk Sherlock and John stuff too? It's entirely up to you, and I know the woman , but it's such a filler moment in the story justified only in that the woman they're taking the case for plays a part in the mind palace sequences later. About the only amusing thing about it was ''I know Ash''

Again, your edit, your time, your rules. Just wondering if you could work around it.

Everything else sounds splendid...I was thinking something else too...why not include footage from ''The Six Thatachers'' where Mary gives birth to Little Rosie?

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Glad to hear my edits inspired you here. :)

I misss Rangerkris :( , He was as fanatical about Sherlock and other shows as I was and was very helpful and inspirational, that Fall of Sherlock edit was a real favourite

Good idea about minimizing the explanation to Anderson, the breakdown was just the writers taking pot shots at the fans at the end of the day.

Is there a chance you're going to cut out the drunk Sherlock and John stuff too? It's entirely up to you, and I know the woman , but it's such a filler moment in the story justified only in that the woman they're taking the case for plays a part in the mind palace sequences later. About the only amusing thing about it was ''I know Ash''

Again, your edit, your time, your rules. Just wondering if you could work around it.

Everything else sounds splendid...I was thinking something else too...why not include footage from ''The Six Thatachers'' where Mary gives birth to Little Rosie?

Hi, Zarius!

I was thinking of keeping the drunk Sherlock and John stuff because they kind of seemed funny and by that maybe we could understand that they were quickly repairing their relationship. 

About Mary and Little Rosie, I might plan to make an edit of "His Last Vow" and "The Six Thatchers" because it is about Mary's story, so like every two episodes there is a movie, and then "The Lying detective" and "The Final Problem" is about Eurus. I don't really know.

If you like I'll PM you a download link for version 1 with these changes (720p 1.8 GB MP4 file) (MEGA)  :)

I might incorporate some more ideas for a better quality version with more extras and goodies but I don't know!  :D

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah,  repurposing the drunken speil as them patching up makes some sens

Sure, send me a PM :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm still watching it, but can I just take a break to tell you I LOVE where you've placed the explanation for his survival. Great way to transistion between episodes. :)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks! I don't know why but someone else watching it just makes me happy!  :)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Always a good feeling ain't it? :) 

Yeah, a lot of this works...cuts seem fine, some are a tad quick but not too abrupt, I love how you transistioned to the post- credits scene, though I think you could do with leaving the end title card hanging just a tad bit longer. Also, when we see the close-up of Magnuson's eyes, you can hear the end credit music very brielfly kick in, you might want to try and mask that in revisions.

Otherwise, that was a very good beginner's stab, not too many problems, but you're going somewhere.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blocked by the BBC. Try uploading it to Vimeo [password protected prerferibly]

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm, while hanging on the end credit card is an improvement, I think the choice of looping the final portions of the music still comes off a bit jarring.

I think I might have caught a moment or two that might help though...maybe cut to the end credit card right after the camera zooms in on Sherlock's face and then fade the music out.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If it helps, I had a stab at my idea myself

password: sherlock

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice. Still halfway, but it seems you removed the prank on Mycroft. It was totally overdone so it was great to remove.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's live.
Same password: sherlockreturnend

I think this seems more professional. Thanks for your feedback!  :)

Top Bottom