• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Resurgance of Adventure Games

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are three words sure to delight longtime adventure gamers: "Tex Murphy revival". For a long time that appeared to be a pipe dream, but it's finally going to become reality, as series creator Chris Jones has confirmed plans for a new game in the highly acclaimed detective series.

After teasing an upcoming announcement that fueled rampant speculation last week, now Jones has officially confirmed what many guessed (ironically making the news "official" on the
Unofficial Tex Murphy Web Site), with a video and definitive confirmation that a new Tex Murphy game is on the way. Exactly what that game will entail, however, is still to be determined. Originally the plan was for a "modest game design" with a budget suited to a small independent studio. But like the rest of us, the Tex team watched as Double Fine's Kickstarter fundraising campaign became a phenomenal success, and the idea was planted for a "larger scale" adventure.

[video=youtube_share;GodOPoyNIYg]

According to Jones, public funding will allow the new game, codenamed Project Fedora at the current time, to reach the "epic level" that Tex Murphy fans have come to expect. Expanded features would include "more actors, locations, broader stories and yes - even meaningful, varied story paths." And of course, the all important promise of a "true Adventure game with Immersive 3D world, Full Motion Video, and longer game play."

The Tex Murphy Kickstarter campaign won't actually begin until May 15, as the developers are still considering bonus incentives for backers, and are encouraging feedback along those lines. They're also soliciting "Tex Murphy Testimonials" from fans, some of which will be incorporated into the campaign's promotional material. Those interested in contributing should address mail to the Big Finish Games contact page.

We won't know any concrete details about the game for some time (and bear in mind that Kickstarter campaigns are all-or-nothing, depending on whether the financial goal is met in its entirety), but for now it's a thrill just to know that Tex is returning in one form or another. Stay tuned!

[url]http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2385

[/URL]

Talk about a game franchise from back in the day, Under a Killing Moon back in the 486/Pentium days was such a display of multimedia with its 320p in game video with real actors! Id get my hands on a revival for sure.

I vaguely remember under a killing moon and how you could walk around in first person before. I'll be interested in backing them on Kickstarter, I've already made donations to 2 indiegogo projects. And if kickstarter can get this project going, I pray that the near completed toonstruck 2 revival can follow suit.

UAKM has dated quite a bit but Pandora Directive and Overseer are still a blast to play through, I think the only news that could top this for me is if Jane Jenson announced a whole new Gabriel Knight game.

I think we're going to see a new wave of classic games getting sequels/updates. As for GK, I have a feeling Sierra (owned by EA now?) has the rights so I doubt Jensen will be able to do it.

I really hope so. I'd still give my back teeth for a new GK though.

Usually, the retro gaming deal kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Thirty and fourtysomethings should read books or something (or at least play new games) and not keep a niche market of stale postmodern junk alive. Retro gaming is a lot like unnecessary band comebacks - or bad bluegrass revival bands - it only exists because there are huge swaths of the population too lazy to get into new stuff. (Sorry, just had to get this out of my system.)

This is different, though, because Aaron Conners and Chris Jones have been talking about doing this project for well over a decade now, but they've always been stopped by financial difficulties (or the weird case of Microsoft dissolving Access Software to stop their Links games from existing). Now (thanks to Kickstarter) they can finally do it, and actually finish what they started - Overseer ever ends with a cliffhanger. In short: this is the best news this month.

Aside: In 2010, I reformatted my computer, installed Windows 98, and spent weeks trying to find the arcane WinDVD drivers required to play Overseer in full DVD glory. That's how much I love the Tex Murphy games. They will never be truly dated because adventure, humour, truly well-done pastiche, and suspense are timeless qualities. HD gaming is nice and all, but story still trumps all.

theslime said:
Aside: In 2010, I reformatted my computer, installed Windows 98, and spent weeks trying to find the arcane WinDVD drivers required to play Overseer in full DVD glory. That's how much I love the Tex Murphy games. They will never be truly dated because adventure, humour, truly well-done pastiche, and suspense are timeless qualities. HD gaming is nice and all, but story still trumps all.

It's available on GOG.com now along with all the other TM games. :)

AFAIK: not the 1xDVD version. Due to the arcane mpeg2 encoding and the driver hell it introduces to any attempt at porting or virtualisation, GOG has (wisely) used the 5xCD version as their base. It looks almost as good, so no big loss.

A part of the story I didn't mention was that after weeks of trying, I gave up. :(

one word. Dosbox.

I still have all the TM games from when I purchased them as originals I also have the GOG versions are they are so much easier to get running on modern systems.

and btw retro gaming is loads of fun, Chuckie Egg, Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy, Elite, Exile, Citadel, Imogen, Cholo, Starfighter 3000 etc. etc. are all great fun to play still (although it helps if you have the actual kit to play them on)

Hah, I already have good Dosbox setups for playing UAKM and TPD. But Overseer is a Windows 98 game. The CD version is vaguely compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7 (enough for GOG to make a port that works), but the arcane DVD drivers really only works on a very limited selection of DVD drives and GPU/CPU architectures, and ONLY on an actual Windows 98 OS install (possibly also on Windows ME). Even with a PC from 2001 which was in more or less the right hard drive/RAM neighbourhood AND a clean Windows 98 install AND the correct DVD Express driver it still didn't work. And let me tell you, everyone who complains about driver and .dll hell today should be slapped and forced to try a clean install of Windows 98 again - we've honestly forgotten just how awful pre-XP Windows actually was (not that mac or 'nix variants were any better, mind) and just how insanely bad the Windows 98 plug-and-play experience was compared to today in general. It took me hours just to get SVGA colours to work.

My CD copy of Overseer* works fine in XP there's a bit of a sound issue but its fairly easy to fix.

*Eidos Premier Collection version

EDIT: The PC I was using 5 years ago played it fine in XP, I still have that PC but have not tried it on any newer PC's since I now have the GOG versions.

I know all that, but thanks. :)
Again, the CD version plays fine on modern windows (the sound issue was the reason I called it "vaguely compatible), but the DVD version - which is the one I have - is utterly impossible to get to work on any system that's not specifically from 1999 and still running.

I'll probably buy the GOG version, or ---EDITED BY ADMIN---, since I have the unplayable DVD version already.

---

Anyway, back on topic:

I wonder if the new project will take the Tex Murphy radio theater plot as a starting point, or if it will treat those episodes as non-canon and go off in a different direction?

For those who don't know: due to creators Aaron Conners and Chris Jones' love of the series and the fact that the Overseer cliffhanger was going to be resolved in the next game, they made a few short radio theater episodes to resolve the cliffhanger and further the plot once they realised that a new game could take years or decades to get off the ground. A nice touch from some very nice people.

Quote from the presentation of the radio theater: "And the biggest question of all: what was the fate of our hero and his leading lady? Were they really dead? Or would Tex wake up and realize it had all been a dream, like that one guy did on Dallas? Or was it something even more sinister?" LOL! I love the goofy humour of the Tex series. You can almost hear the sound of villainous mustaches being twirled while reading.

post edited. no discussing illegal activity, plz :)

Untitled-1215.png

Dammit. Over the last several months I have sunk so much money into Kickstarter game projects. *sigh* I guess what's one more?

Indeed, I missed the mark for wasteland 2, but (gamewise) I'm already invested in Shadowrun, leisure suit larry and some obscure japanese style RPG. Tex shall get my fund too.

yeah I've also bunged money into Larry as well as Portal Reborn V2.0, Two Guys from Andromeda Project and the Jane Jensen Project.

P&C Adventures are looking good! :)

Yay! Everyone so far has hit their funding and then some :cool:, Tex still has a little over three weeks to run but the pot is increasing $10000-15000 a day so should make it over the line with a few days to spare.

Back
Top Bottom