• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Red Book of Westmarch, Book VI-The End of the Third Age

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What is it about? The final chapter of a six-part edit made to bring Peter Jackson's adaptations of "The Lord of the Rings" as close as possible to the original book by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Original film name: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
New film name: J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings: Book VI - The End of the Third Age
Film studio name: New Line Cinema
Edit crew name: kerr
Date original film was released: 2003
Date edit was released: January 2010
Original runtime: 223 minutes
New runtime: 47 minutes

Changes:

- The edit opens like the book, with Frodo in captivity in the Tower of Cirith Ungol.
- Added some sound effects as Sam passes the statues outside the tower.
- Cut Frodo's line "I'm so sorry Sam", since he didn't send Sam away in Book IV.
- Added "Book VI - The End of the Third Age" title over Sam and Frodo leaving the tower.
- Sauron the Floating Eyeball has been minimizedThe searchlight has also been cut as much as possible, but can still be seen, faintly, in some shots.
- Removed the shot of the orcs moving off. They move far too quickly, and the bit is not needed since we do not intercut with the rest of the Fellowship's diversion.
- Removed some wide shots from the Mount Doom sequence. The focus here should be on the characters, not the scenery.
- Removed Sam's "Come on!" after "... but I can carry you!". I feel it is much more effective without the final bit.
- Sam's fight with Gollum has been shortened, both because there's no good way to merge the two parts of the fight, and because Sam would have received some serious injuries from the thrashing Gollum gives him. Now Sam just slices Gollum's belly with Sting.
- The Mount Doom sequence is not intercut with the battle in front of the Black Gate.
- Added some flashes of the Eye of Sauron (from FotR) to keep Sauron's presence in the sequence without having the electric searchlight-eye.
- Removed Sam's line "Throw it in the fire!"
- Gollum and the Ring are destroyed immediately upon hitting the lava.
- Shortened Frodo dangling over the lava. Sam now pulls him up immidiately, without Frodo considering suicide.
- Reordered the consequences of the Ring's destruction. Mount Doom erupts, the Nazgul are destroyed, Sam and Frodo escape from Sammath Naur and then witness the destruction of Barad-Dur.
- After Frodo's line "I'm glad to be with you, Samwise Gamgee. Here, at the end of all things" we cut to the end of the battle in front of the Black Gate.
- Some of the fades to black or white have been removed - the remaining have been shortened.
- Gandalf's "Now come the days of the king. May they be blessed" and Aragorn's speech at the coronation have been cut.
- Aragorn's reunion with Arwen has been recut. Since that story has such a small role in these edits, the original scene felt too out of place.
- The final shot of Frodo has been cut.
- New credits with new music - "Bilbo's Last Song" from the BBC dramatization.

Intention for this fanedit: To separate Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy into six parts that adhere as closely as possible to the six books of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings". This is done by both restructuring the films to match the narrative structure found in Tolkien's book, and by removing as much as possible of the material that has no basis in Tolkien's vision of Middle-Earth. For Book VI, apart from only following the journey of Frodo and Sam, several small cuts have been made, including the near-removal of Sauron's electric lighthouse-eye. The events surrounding the destruction of the Ring have also been recut, and custom credits with new music have been added to the very end of the film.

Software used:
- Adobe Premiere Pro CS4
- Adobe After Effects CS4
- Adobe Photoshop CS4
- Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD

Release info:
47 min. NTSC SL DVD
3,5 gb
2.0 stereo sound
Special DVD feature: "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" (approx. 17 min.)

ab5tract

Reaction score
Trophy Points
!!! Congratulations on completing the sextet, kerr !!!

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hal9000

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome and sweet! Thanks for these, Kerr!

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many congratulations, Kerr! How will you fill your time now? :smile:

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, guys! :)

Captain Khajiit said:
How will you fill your time now? :smile:
Oh, no worries - I still have to finish the new versions of Books III and IV. I also have quite a few other editing projects in the pipeline (though thankfully nothing on such a massive scale as LotR).

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
- Aragorn's reunion with Arwen has been recut. Since that story has such a small role in these edits, the original scene felt too out of place.
- The final shot of Frodo has been cut.
- New credits with new music - "Bilbo's Last Song" from the BBC dramatization.

What about multiple endings?

Now Sam just slices Gollum's belly with Sting.

Like in my edit :grin:

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gieferg said:
What about multiple endings?
No, I didn't include multiple endings - I'm pretty satisfied with the way I've cut it, and didn't feel it was necessary to include the one where Gollum stumbles. Sure, it's closer to the book, but I couldn't get it to work properly, so I left it "on the cutting room floor", so to speak.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulation for such an amount of work and devotion. :)

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats on finishing a great project. I've used Boon's covers for this set, so get to work on this last cover Boon :grin: !!

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there an .avi version in the pipeline? Thanks.

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
Is there an .avi version in the pipeline? Thanks.
Yes, there is. I'll try to have it done in a couple of days' time.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just had a look at The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen. I was rather impressed by how well it flowed, considering the fact that none of the scenes were meant to be part of a single feature. This is a really nice addition to the set, although I wasn't entirely convinced by the last audio transition, which occurred just after fourteen minutes in; I can see that this must have been an utter nightmare though. Indeed this whole last scene feels - inevitably - like a bit of lurch. The ending was exceedingly well realized though. :)

ltlpickles

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the work you've done on all 6 books has been outstanding!
I love the original books and i think what you've done with what you had to work with was incredible, thanks alot for your efforts!

BTW, i D/L the last 5 books as avi's but since the 6th was only available as a DVD i took the DVD and converted it to XviD so i could put all 6 on 1 disc. If you're interested, i can send you my XviD and save you time on the conversion (of course only if the quality meets with your standards). PM me if you like and i'll send you links.
DVD was ripped to:
XviD, 656x272, 23.976fps
MP3, 2.0 stereo, 192 kbps

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
finally...
after so many requests I made it. So here is the final cover art for kerr's LOTR book cut series:

3dboon23kerrlotrbook6co.jpg

download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=115UBTAK

Xammer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not exactly sure where should I put this question, since the Book IV thread seems to have disappeared, but I saw earlier that you finished the second version of it and I wanted to make sure: the version on fanedit.info is the second one or is it still unupdated? There is no indication of this on the download site.

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I uploaded the new version to MegaUpload, but the links on FE.info seem to be for RapidShare. So it seems it hasn't been updated yet.

Top Bottom