• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Red Book of Westmarch, Book III-The Treason of Isengard

Serious newb here, getting used to the forums and the culture of fan edits.

First, please let me say that this series is truly excellent. I'm a major fan of LOTR and did enjoy PJ's work for what it was, but the way you've edited this restores the tone of the books in a way that is most effective. I can't pretend to be a critic of technical matters, or of specific cuts of dialogue or images, but as a whole this series of discs comes off as a perfect translation of Tolkien's masterwork.

That being said, I'm experiencing a bit of a technical problem and was wondering what a "fanedit newb" could do to solve it. While I've seen the first four discs and they've all downloaded and burned perfectly, this Episode III has a pulsating, pausing action, about four slight pauses per second, especially when those wide pans come up where the camera is moving across panoramas.

This happens only on my living room DVD player, but when I put it in my computer it mostly plays fine, with only a few of these pauses, if ever.

The word that has seemed to come up is "interlacing." Is this the problem? I'm downloading this with JDownloader and burning with ImgBurn.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and again, absolutely superb work!

Hi, Golreah, welcome to the forums! Glad you've enjoyed my edits. :) I'm sorry to hear about this technical issue, though. :-( I'm not exactly sure what the problem could be. There is an interlacing issue with these discs, which has been pointed out to me before. There's an image in that wikipedia article that shows what it looks like. Is that similar to your problem? From what I've gathered, this interlacing problem is caused by the conversion from PAL to NTSC, and I haven't found a way to solve it. This only seems to affect a very few DVD players, though, as the discs have played perfectly on every player I've tested them on. The discs should also play fine on computers - I've tested them in WMP, VLC and MPC. I'm pretty sure this issue is present on all the discs, though, and not just Book III, so if the first two worked fine on your DVD player, it seems like this is not the issue. Have you tried burning the disc again?

Thanks for the speed of your reply.

I've burned a couple of times, and re-downloaded and burned again, just to be sure it wasn't on my end.

I'm also half-way through watching Book V - again, impressed with the thoughtful editing thus far! Faramir letting them go in book IV = great!

So far, it's only Disc III and it's only on my home DVD player. I'll have to run it to a friend's house and see how it runs over there. I've also done some poking around to look into a program that can de-interlace, just for fun. Learning the ins and outs is what a new hobby is all about.

Thanks again for your attentions and I'll keep you posted.

Um... I just had a look and it seems that Golreah isn't crazy :eek:

MPC is reporting:
Video: MPEG2 Video 720x480 (16:9) 25.00fps 8000Kbps [Video (ID 224 @ Prog# 0)]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 256Kbps [AC3 (ID 189/128 @ Prog# 0)]

:wat:

Oops

I guess a quick n dirty fix would be to do a dgpulldown 25->29.97

Kerr: You do your edits in PAL? If so, making PAL versions available would be awesome.

zeppelinrox said:
MPC is reporting:
Quote:
Video: MPEG2 Video 720x480 (16:9) 25.00fps 8000Kbps [Video (ID 224 @ Prog# 0)]
Audio: Dolby AC3 48000Hz stereo 256Kbps [AC3 (ID 189/128 @ Prog# 0)]

:wat:

Oops
Well, that explains the problem! The framerate is indeed wrong - I guess I must have missed a step in the NTSC conversion. Sorry about that. I'll get to work on a fixed version ASAP.

zeppelinrox said:
Kerr: You do your edits in PAL? If so, making PAL versions available would be awesome.
Yeah, I do. However, my upload speed is really slow, so I didn't bother to upload both PAL and NTSC versions of these edits. I don't know if I have any PAL versions anymore, but I'll take a look. I'm pretty sure I have PAL discs of IV, V and VI lying around somewhere - If I find them, I'll try to find the time to upload them.

Wow, no foolin' around on these boards! A problem is found, and boom! it's fixed.

Finished the series, and I must say "Bravo." As true to the book as could be made. It really makes you begin to understand not only the work that went into this series, but the reasons PJ had to make the decisions he made regarding pacing, intercuts between the storylines, and the establishment of backstory and the relationships between the characters.

Thanks again for your responsiveness and dedication to this "hobby." Heh. :grin:

Just wondering, is this fix in the works or is there a way to fix this on my end? I wanted to show this to a fellow LOTR nerd. Thanks again!

I'm so sorry, I totally forgot about this. I'll try to get it done as soon as possible. If you're impatient and want to try fixing it yourself, you just need to rip the main video file, demux it to separate audio and video files, use DGPulldown (freeware) to convert the frame rate from 25 to 29.97 and then remux the new video with the audio.

I think I'll try it--not because I'm necessarily impatient, but because I really want to get a taste of what this hobby entails. Over the past few months I've seen some really really superb work (this series included), and while I can't pretend that I have the know-how to do something like this right now, it can't hurt to play around and see what I can do. I'll try it out next week after doing some research on these here boards.

Thanks again for the quick reply, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi there, total newb to the boards here. Firstly I've got to say to Kerr I love your work, repeated viewing of the LOTR movies has made all the little movie gags (like the Nazgul in the prancing pony intercut with the sleeping hobbits for 'tension') and constant bickering amongst supposedly noble and united characters really grate after a while. In a lot of ways your cuts have given me back something I can enjoy in them again, I can easily overlook a few continuity problems as there's plenty in the originals anyway. It's great there's someone out there with your skills doing this stuff :)

Anyway, the reason I'm posting; I've downloaded all of the DVD versions from fanedit.info apart from Book III. Part 10 seems to be missing from the dlc. I've got the avi but it would be fantastic to have the high quality version. Is there anything that can be done about this? The world needs all the full Kerr versions! ;-)

Zombie thread! Not really, but enough to make me stock up on shotgun shells and bottled water.
I've managed to get all of Kerr's book cuts except for this one. It appears to be the only one that was on MU. Everything else is on RS. Does anyone have this and is able to help? Kerr, did you ever get around to fixing that framerate issue?
Looking forward to watching these, but I don't want to start without book 3.
Thanks!

Infamous TC said:
Zombie thread! Not really, but enough to make me stock up on shotgun shells and bottled water.
I've managed to get all of Kerr's book cuts except for this one. It appears to be the only one that was on MU. Everything else is on RS. Does anyone have this and is able to help? Kerr, did you ever get around to fixing that framerate issue?
Looking forward to watching these, but I don't want to start without book 3.
Thanks!

Same here. :-(

I have the .avi versions. Want me to re-upload?

Looking for the DVD, but I'll certainly take the AVI over nothing at all.

ETA: Thanks!

The avi link still worked as of about a month ago. Kicking myself for not burning a disc of the part III before my HDD crashed.

he-guy said:
The avi link still worked as of about a month ago. Kicking myself for not burning a disc of the part III before my HDD crashed.

Yeah, the AVI is on Rapidshare though, which is a terrible service. Sadly I don't have any of them on DVD.

I might have this. I think I downloaded all the DVDs. They might not be the most up to date though.

Please PM me if you know the whereabouts of the DVD.
I have the avi.
Thanks.

missingfanedit1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom