• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Red Book of Westmarch, Book I - The Return of the Shadow

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have created cover art for the upcoming DVD.
What do you think?
3D_boon23_kerr_lotr_book1_cover-1.jpg

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, very nice boon. I love the artistic frame along with the map on the back. really great!! Frodo might look better as a painting (the style of frame you used reminds me of the style that was typical for historical portrait paintings), but other than that, it is a really cool cover.

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a really great cover, boon. Thanks a bunch for making that! :) I love the color scheme and the map design for the back and the disc, though I personally would have used another font (Albertus) for some of the text - but that's a minor quibble, all in all it's a beautiful cover.

As for the DVD, I've decided on the design I will use for the menus, and have begun fiddling around in DVD-lab. I'll also have to figure out how to convert it to NTSC (by popular demand :p ), so the release is still a ways off.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have added painting effects on Frodo. Image updated. I am happy you like it.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kerr, if you tell me, which parts of the text you would prefer in Albertus I can do that.

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
boon23 said:
Kerr, if you tell me, which parts of the text you would prefer in Albertus I can do that.

Great, thanks! "Book I" (on the front), "A Fanedit by kerr" and "The Red Book of Westmarch".

Another suggestion for the front would be to switch places for "The Return of the Shadow" and "The Lord of the Rings", and replace "The Lord of the Rings" (on both the front and the spine) with the official logo (http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/images/k ... t_logo.jpg, minus "Conquest", of course, and in a different color). In my opinion, that would make the cover darn near perfect.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
like this?
3D_boon23_kerr_lotr_book1_cover2.jpg

before:
3D_boon23_kerr_lotr_book1_cover-1.jpg

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmm... The Albertus text should probably be in caps, and the line under the LotR logo should go. Otherwise it looks good.

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, nice!! some great covers for this project!! the edit better stand up to it ;)

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have not enough free time to watch whole thing yet, but I've taken a look on it and I'm really impressed by those seamless cuts and very, very, very nice intro with Christopher Lee's narration (and almost as nice end title). Can't wait to see it, and even more can't wait to see Book II as it is my favourite part of whole LOTR.

Keep up the good work :grin:

PS. Great covers by the way.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
downloaded and ready to watch!

LOL you guys are sure laying on the pressure with your 6 part cover artwork!!!

nice :)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To quote the great Eric Cartman

"KICK ASS!".

Nice covers Boon.

I now impatiently await Book 2.

And there you were Kerr, thinking no-one would be interested..... :lol:

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow... I'm honored to have such great cover art made for my edit. I love the six-part design, AvP - can't wait to see the finished version! I was working on some cover art of my own, but my effort pale in comparison to the amazing work of boon and AvP. Kudos!

joebshmoe said:
LOL you guys are sure laying on the pressure with your 6 part cover artwork!!!
ThrowgnCpr said:
wow, nice!! some great covers for this project!! the edit better stand up to it ;)
Just was I was thinking when seeing those covers :p

As for Book II, the XVID version is finished - I just have to scan through it for errors. If I can't find any, it will be uploaded shortly.

evenswr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a thought:

Book I of the unabridged audiobook would make a nice extra for the DVD.

Don't know if the BBC radio adaption with Ian Holm as Frodo is in any way faithful to the book, but I suppose you could always edit that too.

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good news! I finally figured out how to convert my video form PAL to NTSC, so work on the DVD proper has officially begun. I'll probably work quite a bit on it during the weekend, so I might get it finished for a release sometime next week. It will be a SL NTSC DVD, somewhere between 3 and 4 gigs in size, all depending on what kind of extras I come up with (if any).
evenswr said:
Just a thought:

Book I of the unabridged audiobook would make a nice extra for the DVD.
Yes, that would be a nice extra, but I don't think I'll be doing that because of copyright issues. I am however, playing around with using the audiobook for one of the extras.

kerr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
spelledaren posted some comments on the edit page which I thought I'd address:

The new intro works, but later references to Gollum for example become weird, because we know nothing about him.
True. I couldn't find a satisfying way to insert the Gollum parts from the prologue anywhere. However, I consider this edit to be the sequel to "The Red Book of Westmarch: The Hobbit, or There and Back Again" (my edit of the upcoming Hobbit movie :p ).

I wasn't too fond of Gandalf's ride through the Shire. I was going to buy it, but then there came another scene with focus on him speaking, and still with no words. I prefer Bilbo's sillyness.
I think the theatrical version of Gandalf's arrival is greatly superior to the EE version, so it was one of the things I really wanted to do in this edit. It was, however, the hardest part to edit, because so much of the footage was also used in the EE "Concerning Hobbits" sequence, so it does have some problems - four problems, in fact, as far as I can tell. Personally, I think the slight pause in the dialogue is the least of these four, and it is, in any case, necessary for the sequence to work.

About removing the black rider you say that "Frodo and Sam don't know as of yet that they are being hunted. In order to follow the book, neither should the audience." But isn't this just a smokescreen for the fact that it gets hard to cut from the hilltop to the field, because of the sudden shifts in music it would require? I mean, it's obvious that they are hunted, you have already shown us all the other Nazgul scenes.
Heh, busted :p . Yes, it's true that I originally removed the shot for easier editing. But I ALSO did it to closer match the book, where they are aware that the Black Riders have entered the shire (Gaffer Gamgee was visited by one), but after that they are not seen until the hobbits encounter one on the road. So there :p . However, it might be a good idea to remove the preceding Nazgul scenes as well to even further match the book. I'll have to look into that.

I think I noticed two sound cuts (apart from knowing that they are there), one was in Bree when they are nearing the inn, and the other was when the Nazgul enters the inn. Just some unevenness.
I can't find these, though I have smoothed out some audio transition since making the XVID, so they may already have been fixed.
A minor point: if you are trying to follow the books as closely as possible, why does Gandalf show off fireworks to the children? I mean, it's a good scene, but it wouldn't be too hard to remove.
Because it's one of my favorite scenes, and because it fits the spirit of Tolkien's book, if not necessarily the content. There are a few places where I decided not to remove a brilliant scene, even if it didn't match the book - another example is the one on Caradhras, where Boromir picks up the Ring (which is also one of my favorite scenes).

I will try to watch the rest, but from TTT it gets increasingly difficult to keep the movie true to the books...we will see how it goes!
Yes, Books III-VI are for the most part considerably more difficult to edit than the first two. I am, however, very pleased with what I've done on Book III so far.

For those who've watched the edits, please follow spelledaren's example and point out any flaws you find (if any). That way I can (possibly) get them fixed for the DVD versions.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
torrent for the avi up on piratebay. Thanks, Harman.

Top Bottom