• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Recipe Thread

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
images

Ingredients:

1 cup butter ½ cup brown sugar or ¼ cup honey 2 cups unbleached flour

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream together the butter and sugar or honey. Add the flour and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Put out on suitable surface and knead until quite smooth, about 5 minutes, adding a bit of flour if necessary to keep dough from sticking.Roll out to about ¼ inch thickness and cut into 3" to 4" squares, scoring with a knife halfway through each square with a butter knife. Place on buttered cookie sheet and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. (Note: I have not done this)

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gollum Juice Recipe

"In order to ease the pain in his throat from voicing Gollum, Andy Serkis would drink "Gollum Juice", a mixture of honey, lemon and ginger." - http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/chat/hotseat/newsid_2853000/2853041.stm#q16

Ingredients:

Fresh Ginger
2 Cups of Water
1 Lemon
2 Whole Cloves
Honey to taste
Apple Juice/Cider (optional)

Directions:

Cut a few chunks of ginger and peel the skin off with a potato peeler. Toss these in a pot with two cups of water. Boil until the water begins to darken and reduce. Remove from heat and add the juice of a whole lemon. Crush in two cloves and allow to sit for a minute or two. Pour through a strainer into a large mug or thermos. Add honey to taste. You can also add apple juice to further sweeten the flavor. Excellent for singers, voice actors, or anyone with a sore throat! The ginger extract can get quite spicy, so if you're concerned about this just don't boil the extract as long.

Number Of Servings:

About a thermos-full

Preparation Time:

10-20 minutes depending on ginger-boiling time (Note: I have not done this yet)

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So is this thread only for movie related recipes?  Because I have a killer spicy stir fried green beans recipe that has been beloved by everyone at every gathering I've taken it to.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Junglist Paja said:
^ Nah, it's for everything

Reverse sear steaks.

Take your favorite cut—I prefer a Prime ribeye—pat dry and place in the refrigerator uncovered. After a few hours, rub with a salt and pepper mixture and put back in refrigerator uncovered. 

Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Place steaks on a cooling rack over a baking sheet to elevate it from the surface. Bake until the internal temperature reaches about 15-20 degrees below your desired doneness. I use a remote thermometer to monitor the internal temperature. 

Once your meat is at its target temperature, remove from oven and pat dry one more time. Then place on a smoking hot cast iron skillet and sear all sides. You want to get a browning good enough to get the Maillard effect. Serve immediately. No rest necessary. Enjoy the best steak you’ve ever had.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That sounds really good. 

Possesseds spicy stir fried green beans

You'll need: 
1 can NO SALT ADDED French style green beans.  This is important because we're adding soy sauce later so it'll have plenty enough salt. French style only,  thick cut jyst doesn't taste the same for this. 

Weber roasted garlic and herb seasoning

Powdered red pepper,  and black pepper

Reduced sodium soy sauce. (The Weber seasoning already has salt in it so you'll get enough salt trust me). All this can be got at Wal-Mart. 

Also I don't have specific measurements for anything because i always eyeball it,  so it comes out slightly different each time. But i like that. 

Heat up a small amount of oil (zero calorie cooking spray works well too) in a skillet over high heat.  Drain all the water from the can of green beans and add them to skillet.  In skillet sprinkle a modest amount of the Weber seasoning,  a decent amount of black pepper,  and as much red pepper for how spicy you want it to be, I use a ton,  stir frequently to ensure seasonings are evenly covering green beans.  Let sizzle for about 4 minutes.  Then add a medium amount of reduced sodium soy sauce, turn off skillet,  and stir until it stops sizzling.  Don't add any starch or thickener, you don't want the sauce to be thick for this dish.  I don't anyway. 

What you'll have is a delicious and savory green bean that's an entirely different experience than the typical American sweet and soupy green beans,  this won't be sweet at all it'll be savory.  I've never really tasted anything similar to compare it to,  but I can tell you it would be a great side dish with the above described steak ??

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points

The Eggs/Balls Of Satan

Half a cup of powdered sugar
One quarter teaspoon salt
One knife tip Turkish hash
Half a pound butter
One teaspoon vanilla-sugar
Half a pound flour
150 g ground nuts
A little extra powdered sugar
... and no eggs

Place in a bowl
Add butter
Add the ground nuts and
Knead the dough

Form eyeball-size pieces from the dough
Roll in the powdered sugar
and say the Magic Words:
"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"

Place on a greased baking pan and
Bake at 200 degrees for 15 minutes
...AND NO EGGS

...and no eggs

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'Starfish & Coffee'

- Starfish
- Coffee
- Maple Syrup
- Jam
- Butterscotch Clouds
- Tangerine

Serve with ham.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
'Starfish & Coffee'

- Starfish
- Coffee
- Maple Syrup
- Jam
- Butterscotch Clouds
- Tangerine

Serve with ham.
My favorite Prince song!

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
The Eggs/Balls Of Satan

Half a cup of powdered sugar
One quarter teaspoon salt
One knife tip Turkish hash
Half a pound butter
One teaspoon vanilla-sugar
Half a pound flour
150 g ground nuts
A little extra powdered sugar
... and no eggs

Place in a bowl
Add butter
Add the ground nuts and
Knead the dough

Form eyeball-size pieces from the dough
Roll in the powdered sugar
and say the Magic Words:
"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"

Place on a greased baking pan and
...AND NO EGGS

...and no eggs

*adds eggs*

giphy.gif

dahmage

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Grab a small handful of mint from the planter on the patio.

Throw it into the bottom of a cup with half a spoonful of sugar on top and muddle it up good.

Cut a lime in half and squeeze half of the juice into the cup. Save the other half for later.

Throw three ice cubes in there.

Fill the cup halfway with rum.

Fill the other half with orange juice.

Yes please!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone else doing some more experimentation while social distancing? I’ve never been much of a cook and my wife is a really good cook and loves it. So she usually cooks and I clean. But here in Germany she’s been working longer hours and I don’t work so I’ve been cooking more.

This is pretty easy and I’m sure I’m not the first to do something like this. In fact I was trying to replicate something I had in Italy over Christmas.

Garlic Anchovy Pasta

(Over 250g of Tagliolini or your favorite pasta)

1. Sauté five chopped cloves of garlic in olive oil
2. Add a can of anchovies in oil, two tablespoons of capers, and two teaspoons of red pepper (chili) flakes.
3. Mix together thoroughly over medium heat for only about a minute.
4. Drain your pasta and return to pot and add in the sauce. Mix thoroughly to coat. The anchovy sauce should be a nondescript paste with capers and garlic.

People are scared off by anchovies but it doesn’t taste fishy in the least. My seven year olds loved it.

09-F904-A0-4708-4-CAF-A0-A8-10-EF2-F486-E55.jpg

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Anyone else doing some more experimentation while social distancing?

Absolutely. I've been doing way more cooking these days. I really enjoy cooking if I've got hours to potter away, with a few cups of tea and music radio on, so more free time is ideal for that. Plus I'm trying not to waste anything and only go to the shops once a week at most, so I've been getting creative with whatever I've got. I find milk is the only thing you can't do without restocking regularly but I've been supplementing it with long-life Soya milk to make my supply last longer (which I love in coffee anyway).

I cooked a leg of lamb the other day and a nut roast for the vegetarians, which I'd never tried before. Nut roast can be really awful but I went with this mushroom one off youtube:

I swear it was almost better than the lamb (and the lamb was very good, if I don't say so myself). I used all different cheeses to the ones he mentioned, threw in any nuts I had in the cupboard instead of walnuts, used different fresh herbs and used white rice soaked in a little soy, instead of brown rice but it all worked anyway. I adhered to all the proportions though. I made a Porcini mushroom gravy to go with it too. Highly recommended recipe.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crockpot Italian beef.

1 chuck roast.
1 can beef broth..
Jarred sliced pepperonchinis/banana peppers
1 packet dry Italian dressing mix

Step 1: Put the chuck roast in the pot.
Step 2. Empty dressing packet over it.
Step 3. Empty beef broth over it.
Step 4. Put about half the jar of peppers up in there with a moderate amount of the juice from the jar as well.
Step 5. Cook overnight on whatever heat. It'll get done on low but i actually prefer high because it gives it a slight crispness.
Step 6. When done carefully drain some of the excess liquid out of the pot so it isn't soupy and then shred, should shred easily with whatever serving spoon at this point.
Step 7. Optionally serve over hoagie rolls and profit.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tangy tomato beef and broccoli stir fry (Inspired by the Chinese dish but does not have a Chinese food taste at all. It's just as delicious though, but in a different way)

Cut one pound of lean beef into really thin strips suitable for stir fry. If you're lazy and live by a Walmart you can most likely skip this step, as most of the walmarts I've been to carry beef already sliced specifically to make stir fry. (Also makes good beef jerky... a recipe for another time)

16 oz frozen broccoli (or mixed vegetables if you like. I won't tell)

1 regular size can condensed tomato soup

4 tbspn soy sauce (more or less to taste. If you want a more savory and less "sweet" or tomato taste make it 5 or 6 and it will round out. I usually do 5. I don't recommend cutting back on the tomato soup though because it's essential for the tang and that's what makes this all worth it)

1 tspn minced garlic or garlic powder

1 tspn cayenne pepper powder if you don't mind a little heat. Personally i like 3...

Anywoozles. This is pretty easy. Saute the beef first in a skillet on med high with a little oil. For a deeper flavor feel free to add a little salt and pepper as you do so. Most stir fry recipes will tell you to only cook until it's just browned, but i prefer to go a step further and give the outside a little char to it. Doesn't take long as it's so thin and gives it a crisper and more steak like texture. Remove from pan, do a little booty shake to express your pleasure.

While doing that step, combine the soy sauce, soup, and garlic into a bowl.

Next, add maybe half of the sauce mixture to the same pan still on med high then add the frozen veggies. Stir frequently, the sauce will bubble a little, it's fine. Stir often and cook until just barely getting hot for most pieces. Don't worry if the big pieces of broccoli are still a little cold in the middle because the veggies will still be staying in the hot pan for a little bit and we want the veggies to stay crispy and not get mushy, which will happen if overcooked.

Once that's done, leave veggies and sauce in there and add back in the beef and add the rest of the sauce and stir it all together until everything is adequately saucy. Let the sauce start to simmer again, not quite boiling but bubbling a little. Let simmer in this state until the sauce has absorbed mostly into the food and the liquid has somewhat thickened around it and it isn't liquidy. It won't fully thicken as we used no corn starch, but i prefer it this way because I've found adding starch to this makes it mushy. It's fine, it will thicken enough, and everything will be fully coated and have lots of flavor absorbed into it. The veggies and meat will be nice and crispy while still saucy and very flavorful.

I highly recommend, is very tasty.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Chicken drumsticks, whatever cooking method.

Simple. You got ya drumsticks. Sprinkle some salt and pepper over it. Then simply marinade them in Italian vinaigrette salad dressing overnight and cook the next day. Delicious, flavorful, and with a nice crispy texture that deals in juices as long as you cook it right.

Sadly i don't have much in the way of actual cooking instruction, as the point is more the prep.

However, i did recently make them in the air fryer and they were perfect. 400 degrees for 24 minutes, flip halfway through.

But grilling them is also a very good method. Very good indeed. If you find grilling drumsticks to be done in the center without burning the outside too daunting (beginner grillers can have trouble with this) another great method is to bake them until they are just done and then throw them on a hot grill to finish them with that nice grilled texture.

You could also just bake them if you don't have access to these methods. Convection preferred but regular also works

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having known enough about your culinary sins your words cannot hurt me.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey, I only had French toast sticks with ketchup ONCE this week!

Top Bottom