• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Quotes Thread

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." 

- Oscar Wilde

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Forgiveness is a powerful thing, as it liberates from things that destroy from within."

— a random bloke on the Internet

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Do you think God stays in heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?" 
- Steve Buscemi.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Clark Kent is the moral center that makes Superman. Clark is not simply a disguise behind which Superman hides. This is the truly unique and the single most important truth concerning the character. David Carradine in KILL BILL VOL. 2 got it wrong. The Superman/Clark Kent dynamic is not some clever reversal of the superhero template that spawned a genre in which the hero employs a disguise to fight evil, but is revealed by his civilian identity. In Superman's case, BOTH identities are the true identity. They are two halves of a whole. No other superhero can claim this reality.

But, again, the deeper truth is that Clark Kent MAKES Superman super. That is to say, Clark was raised by the Kents in Smallville with all of the critical traits needed to make and keep Superman moral, humble, altruistic, fair, brave, honest, virtuous, meek, and compassionate. The Kents provide Kal-El with his Earthly heritage, the heritage chiefly responsible for the most important element of Superman, his heart. So, Clark Kent is every bit as valid as Superman, and equally important to the overall character."

— Jerome K. Moore

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I believe in copyright, within limited precincts. But I also believe in fair use, public domain, and especially transformation."

— David Shields

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The silent pictures were the purest form of cinema; the only thing they lacked was the sound of people talking and the noises. But this slight imperfection did not warrant the major changes that sound brought in… In many of the films now being made, there is very little cinema: they are mostly what I call 'photographs of people talking.' When we tell a story in cinema, we should resort to dialogue only when it’s impossible to do otherwise."

— Alfred Hitchcock

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Kids come to this picture, and Spider-Man is their hero. And I'm not talking about because of the first movie. I just mean anybody you put in a superhero outfit, and you play the heroic horns on the soundtrack, they are going to look up to as the hero. You just get that unearned. It's not fair but it really is true. So you have an obligation to bring your character to the level that's worth their admiration. You get it without having paid for it. So the job of making the movie in some way is paying for it."

- Sam Raimi

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
“I am a writer. Therefore, I am not sane.”

― Edgar Allan Poe

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Home is where the heart is."

— ?

"You can't go home again."

— Thomas Wolfe

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
1543326456809.jpg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I realized early on that success was tied to not giving up. If you simply didn’t give up, you would outlast the people who came in on the bus with you."

Harrison Ford

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Nothing in the World can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

- Unknown, often attributed to Calvin Coolidge but various versions had been seen in print long before his presidency (a 1881 version by Reverend Theodore Thornton Munger is probably the earliest).

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

— Rod Serling

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm about 7.5hrs into watching a 15-hr German film and I'm feeling this Macbeth quote...

quote-i-am-in-blood-stepp-d-in-so-far-that-should-i-wade-no-more-returning-were-as-tedious-william-shakespeare-35-2-0249.jpg

:D

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"But thinking is to be a corrective in our life — it's not supposed to be a center of our life. Living is supposed to be the center of our life, being is supposed to be the center — with correctives around, which hold us like the skin holds our blood and our flesh in. But our skin is not a way of life — the way of living is the blood pumping through our veins, the ability to sense and to feel and to know. And the intellect doesn’t help you very much there — you should get on with the business of living."

— Ray Bradbury

"No, I never consciously place symbolism in my writing. That would be a self-conscious exercise and self-consciousness is defeating to any creative act. Better to let the subconscious do the work for you, and get out of the way. The best symbolism is always unsuspected and natural."

— Ray Bradbury

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
“Creation is, on God’s part, not an act of self-expansion, but a retreat, a renunciation. God and all his creatures are less than God alone. God accepted this diminishment. God emptied Himself of part of His being. God emptied Himself in the act of His divinity. This is why St. John says, ‘The Lamb that was slain from the foundation of the world.’ God permitted things to exist other than Himself and worth infinitely less than Himself. By the act of creation, God denied himself, just as Christ told us to deny ourselves. God denied Himself in our favour to give us the possibility of denying ourselves for Him. This response, this echo, subject to our refusal, is the only possible justification for the folly of love in the act of creation. Religions with this conception of renunciation, this voluntary distance, this voluntary effacement of God, His apparent absence and His secret presence here below … these religions are the true religion, translations of the Great Revelation into different languages. Religions that represent divinity as commanding wherever it has the power to do so are false. Even if they are monotheistic, they are idolatries.”

― Simone Weil

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The world of science lives fairly comfortably with paradox. We know that light is a wave, and also that light is a particle. The discoveries made in the infinitely small world of particle physics indicate randomness and chance, and I do not find it any more difficult to live with the paradox of a universe of randomness and chance and a universe of pattern and purpose than I do with light as a wave and light as a particle. Living with contradiction is nothing new to the human being."

― Madeleine L'Engle

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"We're hot as love, you know"
~Reggie Bannister, Phantasm

Top Bottom