• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Quotes Thread

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
If we’re going that route...

“Do we need a two-hour movie about the Doors? No, I can sum it up in five seconds: I'm drunk, I'm nobody; I'm drunk, I'm famous; I'm drunk, I'm dead." - Denis Leary

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The world is so crazy that if you present things the way they really are, it comes across as broad satire."

- Stan Lee

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"But we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy. No, we're never gonna survive unless we are a little crazy."

— Seal

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The world is gonna roll you, you ain't the sharpest tool in the shed"

~SomeBODY

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
'It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.'
- Albus Dumbledore / J. K. Rowling

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I'm not young enough to know everything."
-Oscar Wilde

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. They may be more likely to go to Heaven yet at the same time likelier to make a Hell of earth." 

- C. S. Lewis

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
“The assumption that what currently exists must necessarily exist is the acid that corrodes all visionary thinking.”

― Murray Bookchin

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Who cares? Just dumb old donkeys. They refuse to apply themselves." 
--Brian Regan

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Chronic remorse, as all the moralists are agreed, is a most undesirable sentiment. If you have behaved badly, repent, make what amends you can and address yourself to the task of behaving better next time. On no account brood over your wrongdoing. Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean." 

- Aldous Huxley

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"We don't make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies."

- Walt Disney

I encountered this quote in austinmcconnell's video about his experience filmmaking. We as the audience can easily critique a movie meanly and unfairly sometimes, and say that no one had cared about the movie/TV show we get, but sometimes mistakes are made, priorities are misplaced, and we just end up disappointed sometimes. A filmmaker's job should not be making a movie, it should be telling a story. The passion is what makes or breaks a story.

Here's austinmcconnell's video by the way:

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Living in the lap of luxury isn't bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." 

- Orson Welles

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:

- Walt Disney

"The pursuit of making money is the only reason to make movies. We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. But to make money."

~Michael Eisner

Interesting how the corporation's perspective shifted...

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
And that's why I have nothing but respect and admiration for Disney the man, but nothing but contempt and loathing for Disney the company.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The first rule of Bi Club is that you can talk about Bi Club all you want, because most people won't believe it's real anyway."

― Lindsay King-Miller

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
theryaney said:

- Walt Disney

"The pursuit of making money is the only reason to make movies. We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. But to make money."

~Michael Eisner

Interesting how the corporation's perspective shifted...

I don't see those two things being necessarily at odds. Is it ruthless? Of course. But he was CEO from the mid 80s to the early 2000s, meaning he oversaw the (in my opinion) creative comeback of Disney studios. The run in the 90s was excellent. Just because you don't care about the art doesn't mean you don't hire people who make good art.

Also, both quotes are saying that they are going to make money, so I don't see a massive shift. It's kinda semantic IMO.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I don't see those two things being necessarily at odds. Is it ruthless? Of course. But he was CEO from the mid 80s to the early 2000s, meaning he oversaw the (in my opinion) creative comeback of Disney studios. The run in the 90s was excellent. Just because you don't care about the art doesn't mean you don't hire people who make good art.

Also, both quotes are saying that they are going to make money, so I don't see a massive shift. It's kinda semantic IMO.

There's quite bit of difference. 

Walt Disney's quote meant that he saw making money as just a means to and end, that end being making more movies. It meant that the artistry of making the movies was his real goal, and he saw the money as just a way of achieving that.

Michael Eisner's quote, on the other hand, means that he saw making movies as a means to an end, that end being making money. It meant that the money itself was his goal, and he saw the artistry of making movies as just a means to make a viable product that would sell well and make money.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
thecuddlyninja said:

There's quite bit of difference. 

Walt Disney's quote meant that he saw making money as just a means to and end, that end being making more movies. It meant that the artistry of making the movies was his real goal, and he saw the money as just a way of achieving that.

Michael Eisner's quote, on the other hand, means that he saw making movies as a means to an end, that end being making money. It meant that the money itself was his goal, and he saw the artistry of making movies as just a means to make a viable product that would sell well and make money.

So they both made money and oversaw great artistry. The end result was the same: good movies, which I consumed.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
So they both made money and oversaw great artistry. The end result was the same: good movies, which I consumed.

The end result may have been the same, but the sentiments expressed in their quotes are more or less opposites. It is sometimes possible to get to the same place by two different roads.

It is a well-known fact that self-interest is a powerful motivator to provide quality products. Sell good products, and people like them more and buy more of them, so you make good money. So I'm not knocking the ability of a "money person" to produce a high-quality product or work of art. I'm just saying that, at least if those two quotes present the true attitudes of Walt Disney and Michael Eisner, they had different philosophies regarding art and money.

Top Bottom