• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Quick and Dirty Guide to Uploading to Usenet

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
but seriously, i just typed in "Seciors" and it showed me the three uploads in a really nice format. Maybe I'm missing something, but this confirms I had a successful upload like over an hour before your beloved binsearch.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
Have just uploaded another BD successfully, and have found that a quick and easy way to check which files have been successfully/unsuccessfuly uploaded is to ignore what camelsystem powerpost tells you about which files are in error etc, and just search the edit on binsearch.info. I'm not sure why, but powerpost occasionally gives me error messages for files that were successfully uploaded, and the ok for files that weren't.

I had a similar experience as njvc. My upload was disrupted and when I tried to resume, the partially uploaded files gave an error message and would not upload. Powerpost was reporting the number of uploaded parts/segments incorrectly (because of system disruption, internet connection disruption, or some other reason I don't know about). I used binsearch to find the correct number of uploaded parts/segments.

Here's a guide from Powerpost for reposting missing segments:

You might be making the mistake of trying to repost the old files in their entirely, again. If you are trying to do that then that might be the issue.

Try the following:

1. In your newsclient look for the files that are the problem.
2. Highlight one of them and then look in your newsclient for a way of showing the 'Properties' of that post. What you are looking for is to find out what segments of that file have been properly posted and what segments are actually missing.
3. Take a note of the numbers of the segments that are missing.
4. Now go to the same file in the listing that CamelSystem shows.
5. Right-click on that file and select the 'Task Properties' option. That will open up a dialogue in which you will see all the numbered segments for that file.
6. Put a tick in each box that is the same as the missing segments numbers that you got out of your newsclient. Tick only those numbers, leave all the others blank/unticked. (Remember the numbers you are leaving blank have already been posted correctly. If you try to repost them again then that might be the cause of the errors you are getting.)
7. Once you have all the correct segments ticked, 'Okay' the dialogue (so that you exit it).
8. Now right-click on the same file and select the 'Re-queue selected files...' option.
9. Now you can start posting that file again. (All you will be 're-posting' is the missing segments.)

Lastly, you can set-up multiple files for reposting missing segments and once all the files are set-up, and re-queued, you can then just repost the lot in one go i.e. just hit the 'Post' button of CamelSystem.

So if binsearch or your newsreader says "incomplete (52 / 86)" then you would put checks on segments 53-86 and re-queue the file.

If you need to stop uploading and resume later, use the Stop button in Powerpost. That avoids these partial upload hassles.

Also, sometimes Powerpost would report files as fully uploaded, but binsearch reported the file had all but one segment uploaded. It would say something like "incomplete (85 / 86)" In that case the best thing to do is check ALL segments in the file for uploading and then requeue the file. For some reason I did not get an error message when I did that.

But there were still some files that I could not upload completely no matter how many times I tried. It could be the system sees multiple attempts at posting the same file as spam, and blocks it.

Bottom line, Usenet is an old and creaky system, not as reliable as modern file locker services. I recommend doing your uploads at night or at a time when the computer and internet connection are not being used for any other purpose at all. Check your files after you upload, check them again after you download.

Also, something that confused me was how WinRAR labels each RAR as a "part" and Powerpost labels each segment as a "part." They are not the same!

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
MultiPar is the updated version of QuickPar. While the directions below refer to QuickPar, they are exactly the same for MultiPar. ... Leave the default settings of QuickPar and click the Create button.

I want to say this more strongly than njvc did. MultiPar does NOT have the same default settings as QuickPar. If you use the default settings in MultiPar you probably will get a PAR2 file that is unusable for repairing a damaged download.

I used MultiPar 1.2.1.4 released 06 Oct 2012. In this version more of the settings are automated to help make a good set of PAR2 files. This is what I used for the settings:

Options > GUI Options > Preferred Block Size > For yEnc > 5000 lines
Redundancy: 10%
Sizing scheme: Powers of 2 sizing scheme

Why use the powers of 2 scheme when some guides recommend All the same size or Variable size? A lot of people are paying for Usenet access, so they may want to download only as many PAR2 files as they need to repair the download. So I want a graduated range of sizes instead of all the same size. Variable size gives you a graduated range, but the biggest file was a honking 300 Mb file that I did not want to hassle with uploading. Powers of 2 scheme gave me a graduated range of sizes and also capped the biggest files around 53 Mb.

Q2 said:
To create an SFV file is simple: go into the directory where all your RAR and PAR files are and select them all.

Most guides say you should only select your RAR files when you make an SFV file. If all the RAR files are good, you don't need PAR2 files. But if you include the PARs in the SFV and you don't download them, the SFV will show an error. It's probably is no big deal, though, since the smallest PAR2 file does the same thing as an SFV file.

These guides are helpful even though a little outdated:

http://www.binaries4all.com/index.php
http://www.usenetshack.com/the-definitive-guide-how-to-upload-post-to-usenet/
http://www.harley.com/usenet/file-sharing/01-introduction.html
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/upload-post-usenet.html
http://www.slyck.com/Newsgroups_Guide_QuickStart

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
Hello again usenet uploaders, I'm back for today's fun usenet challenge.

I created my par2 recovery files for my ROTLS AVCHD using multipar, but when I go to post them using powerpost, I get

Warning: par2 packet size 1152068 incompatible with lines/part

Creating the par2 recovery files using exactly the same settings resulted in a successful upload for other big files, the BD version of ROTLS included, but now this... and it's happening for the WTWTA BD recovery files too.

Anyone else faced this little problem and solved it?

It's possible that error message doesn't matter and it might even be a bug. If you don't want to see the message, go to Options > Program Settings > Settings > Uncheck Autodetect .PAR2 block size

On that panel I also set "Default yEnc-lines per part" at 5000 to match my MultiPar setting.

Here is a discussion about the error message in Powerpost: http://forum.camelsystem.nl/index.php?topic=279.0

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NOTE: ** There may be a problem with the app discussed in this post. Read my next post a little further down for details.**

After continuing issues with Camelsystem Powerpost, I started experimenting with yEncBin Poster (Beta 2). Thus far I am finding it to be dramatically superior and more user friendly.

Things superior about yEncBin Poster:

1) SSL encryption support is built in.

2) No more stupid glitches with Camelsystem Powerpost wanting to change my specified number of lines.

3) More user-friendly setup and interface.

4) incorporates par2 and rar (must copy winrar.exe into yEncBin Poster folder). If you choose to use this feature, everything gets done for you in a couple simple clicks of the mouse, and this provides the added benefit of automatically maximizing efficiency of your rar and par2 files. No math or significant comprehension required. Just set yenc lines to 5000 in settings, set rar file split size to 50 MB, and check the auto feature. (Larger splits or higher # of yenc lines are not recommended for usenet.)

5) No problem adding 300+ files like Camelsystem Powerpost has. (This became an issue with Camel when I was trying to get my BD edits uploaded at 50 MB splits.)

6) Also, so far no problems with the collection getting split like intermittently happens with Powerpost.

Additional tutorial stuff & downloading link: http://www.binaries4all.com/yencbin/

This program was updated more recently than Powerpost, and it shows IMO. I believe that if more people switch to using yEncBin Poster, there will be fewer problems, questions, & better quality retention for uploaders and downloaders of fanedits off usenet.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome. Thanks Gem.

I really believe Usenet and PIF are the future for fanedit distribution, so anything that makes it better and more simple is great.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
shit got all fucked up with a different posting app I switched to. Those two should be golden though. Going to switch back to uploading with Powerposter, so it should be up soon.

So yEncBin Poster no good?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Doh! I was about to edit my previous post. I posted too soon perhaps. I still prefer the app, except for one major problem... My post mysteriously halted after being about 1/3 uploaded and now just gives an error message when I try to restart it. Powerpost is still uploading just fine, so... I don't know wtf is going on. I fear it may be a problem with the app. If anybody wants to test it and see if they have the same problem, I would be interested to hear more feedback. Just make sure to let the whole thing post to alt.binaries.test instead of movies.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I have switched back to Camelsystem Powerpost. It is a little less intuitive than Yencbin poster IMO, but I was mistaken when I said that yencbin has been updated more recently. Powerpost updated beginning of this year (version 2.4). Yencbin last updated in 2009, which may explain why it wasn't uploading files properly for me.

Now that I am following Q2's most excellent directions more closely and not trying to get Powerpost to do everything for me, most of my problems with it seem to have gone away. By unchecking the setting in Powerpost that says "auto detect par2 block size" and manually doing my par2 files with multipar, my main problems seem to have gone away.

The tricky thing about going this route is manually setting everything to maximize par2 efficiency and minimize usenet data loss. Q2 hit on some of the following, but I thought I would just post all my key settings here after much research to help others and to see if anybody disagrees with any of the following or has additions. This is new tech for me as well.

Optimizing Settings

1. Winrar: Add files to be archived: Set split size to 49.92MB.

2. Multipar: options: GUI Options: Preferred block size: For yenc: 5,000 lines.

3. Multipar: Redundancy: 2% (This really depends on the size of the material posting. For large DVD and BD material, I am optimistic that 2% redundancy should be more than sufficient for the repair files without making them too large. For an 8GB DL DVD, this means the par2 files will be ~150MB extra, and ~500MB extra for BD. SL DVD size or smaller might benefit from upping the redundancy to 3-5%. Anyone think this is too high? Not high enough? I haven't ever tried downloading something from usenet that is years old to see how badly it is degraded. The idea being I don't want to ever have to re-upload this shit again.)

4. Multipar: Check "restrict block size to multiples of preferred size."

5. Powerpost: setup: Server Settings: Limit max bandwidth & # of connections to something your network can handle without getting overly strained. (Remember that there isn't the traditional error checking with usenet that we are all used to with the Internet, thus why the par2 files are required. Google searching a site to do a speed test isn't a bad idea. Somewhere between 4-8 connections is probably fine.)

6. Powerpost: setup: settings: default yenc lines per part: 5000

7. Powerpost: setup: settings: uncheck "autodetect par2 block size." (Also uncheck "create par2 by default.")

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Anyone think this is too high? Not high enough? I haven't ever tried downloading something from usenet that is years old to see how badly it is degraded. The idea being I don't want to ever have to re-upload this shit again.)

I have downloaded fanedits that needed more than 2% PAR redundancy to repair the files. Most guides recommend 10%.

geminigod said:
Multipar: Check "restrict block size to multiples of preferred size."

That check box does not appear in the current version of Multipar. (because it's automatic now.) Like I said in this post, in the current version of Multipar more of the settings are automated to help make a good set of PAR2 files.

Multipar is currently at version 1.2.1.6 released 30 October 2012 -- however it is a beta version.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great posts and links Brumous. I didn't read them closely enough before posting mine. I'll check out the new multipar beta. Definitely agree with the "power of 2" setting as preferred.

Brumous said:
I have downloaded fanedits that needed more than 2% PAR redundancy to repair the files. Most guides recommend 10%.

Regarding this, I found in my researching that the consensus seemed to be around 5%, though my point is that it partly depends on the size of the upload. Having over 2GB of par2 files for a blu-ray seems highly excessive to me. On the other hand, for an mkv file that is only 1GB in size, 5-10% might be a good idea. Bottom line, if my uploads get too degraded, i'll make more par2 files at the time it becomes necessary. Until that time, I would rather people not have to waste money downloading so much excess waste.

wabid

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like it is a good idea to err on the side of too much par. A user can always NOT download the last file, and check first to see if they need it. There is no mechanism that would force people to download all the pars you make available.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wabid said:
I feel like it is a good idea to err on the side of too much par. A user can always NOT download the last file, and check first to see if they need it. There is no mechanism that would force people to download all the pars you make available.

True... You both may be right. At this point my edits are all up, so we'll see if 2% winds up being enough. Live and learn.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, have decided to have another go at this uploading to newsgroup.... Following the guide, I've added the files to Camelpost, but the PAR2 files are coming up with "Warning - par2 packet size 1280068 incompatible with lines/part".

So, before I started posting all the files in the queue, I wanted to check with you guys to see if you had any ideas?

Thanks
LS

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What format is the fanedit you're uploading?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What program you using to make the PAR2s? I figure MultiPar? I use QuickPar (earlier version, should be pretty much the same program). I just keep the settings QuickPar gives me the same. Here's a screenshot.

quickpar.png

When I put them in PowerPost it says "line/part changed to 3001 to sync with par2 packet size 1536068"

Screenshot

powerpost.png

Never had a problem with the PAR2s when I do it this way. I've test downloaded and test repaired stuff I've uploaded (not everything of course) and I haven't heard any complaints about the PAR2 files I've made in the last few months.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The latest version of MultiPar actually has settings for creating PAR2 for DVD-5,DVD-9,, BR-25, or BR-50, so it modifies the settings to create proper PAR2 file sizes. But you're right... even with those errors it shouldn't be an issue. It's just not a standard size from what I understand.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Okay, have decided to have another go at this uploading to newsgroup.... Following the guide, I've added the files to Camelpost, but the PAR2 files are coming up with "Warning - par2 packet size 1280068 incompatible with lines/part".

So, before I started posting all the files in the queue, I wanted to check with you guys to see if you had any ideas?

Thanks
LS

njvc asked about that too. I gave this answer upthread. It's a Camelpost thing you can ignore or even switch off the warning.

Top Bottom