• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Quick and Dirty Guide to Uploading to Usenet

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uploading to usenet is pretty pretty straightforward, and anyone who has uploaded to a digital locker should be able to understand this fairly easily. Because of this I won’t go into great detail unless its warranted.

The main thing you should know about usenet is that free providers, unlike digital lockers, are far and few between. If you’re looking for a free service this is a negative point. However, the positive greatly outweigh the minimum cost:

• far more secure and anonymous
  • gives users a choice of the provider they want to use, and not force them to use a specific digital locker provider
  • because their is a cost to usenet access you are guaranteed a fast transfer
  • minimum 3 year retention for your edits
Costs very provider to provider, but one I recommend is NewsDemon.com. Not only do they offer monthly plans starting at $8.99 for 15GB/month, they have non-expiring block plans where you pay for X amount of gigabytes that you can use a your leisure. They start at $2 for 10GB.

One other thing to note: with NewsDemon you will have to request posting access. This is easily done through the members control panel. I don’t know if other providers require this, so be aware if you’re having trouble posting that this may be the problem.

To upload your fanedit to usenet you will need a couple of programs:

• archive program such as WinRAR
  • QuickPar creates a PAR2 to help recover damaged files
  • MultiPar is the updated version of QuickPar. While the directions below refer to QuickPar, they are exactly the same for MultiPar.
  • QuickSFV to create a SFV that can verify the integrity of the files you've uploaded
  • (optional) Cool Beans NFO Creator (create an NFO file with details on your edit)
  • Camelsystem Powerpost
NOTE: These programs are for Windows. Similar programs do exist for Mac and Linux, but I have not tested those.

1.) Archive your fanedit using WinRAR. For usenet its best to break the archive into 50MB chunks. No fear though, as the program I will discuss later reassembles everything much like JDownloader does.

2.) Once you have your RAR files open QuickPar. Click Add Files and select your RAR files. Leave the default settings of QuickPar and click the Create button.

This will take a little time, 5 - 20 min. depending on the number of files. Once its done click the Verify button to ensure the PAR2 file was created properly. If no errors are reported you’re good to go. On rare occasions I have gotten a FAILED error. If that happens just try creating the PAR2 file again and it usually works. I don’t know why the error happens, but usually the second time is the charm. Again, this doesn’t happen often.

3.) Now its time to create an SFV file. This file can help verify the integrity of uploaded files. While not required for downloading or decompressing files it's good insurance. To create an SFV file is simple: go into the directory where all your RAR and PAR files are and select them all. Then, right-click and click Create SFV File. Name it what you want and create. This process doesn't take a long time, usually a minute or two

4.) Next we want to create an NFO file so people know exactly what these files are. So run Cool Beans NFO Creator and fill in what you can or want. If something you want isn’t in the drop down menus just add it yourself. Once you’re satisfied with the details click the Preview .nfo tab for a look at what the NFO file will look like. If you’re happy with it then click File, then Save As.

5.) Now we’re ready to upload our files to usenet. The best program I’ve found is Camelsystem’s Powerpost. Start it.

1. The first time using the program you will have to configure it. Click Options, then Program Settings. Add your Host information, Port, Username and Password.
  2. Click Queue, then Add Files to Queue and first choose your RAR files, the NFO file, the SFV file, and the PAR2 files, then click the Open button.
  3. Now we want to give our upload a unique name so people know exactly what it is if browsing usenet. You should see something like:

(????) [$1/$2] - "$F" yEnc

Change ONLY the ???? in the parentheses. Example:

(Adywan Star Wars Revisited 720p) [$1/$2] - “$F” yEnc

4. Click the Newsgroups tab. Click the Add New Newsgroup button and type: alt.binaries.fan-edits alt.binaries.movies, then click the OK button. Now check the box next to our newly added newsgroup.

5. Click the Checksums and NZB tab. Make sure Create .NZB file is checked and type in a path and filename. I usually leave it what I used in the Header in 4.3, removing “part” from the name, but you can do as you please. Then click the OK button

6. If everything looks good in your Queue click Posting, then Start Posting. Your files will now start uploading the usenet. Now all you need to do is sit back and wait.
Once your fanedit is posted you’ll probably want to test it. There is a great browser-based program called SABznbd. For more information on installing and downloading files from usenet with it check out the guide on Fanedit.INFO.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice tut, think you covered everything. :cool:

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A minor revision. For some reason files are not posting to alt.binaries.fan-edits. Until such time, I recommend using the generic alt.binaries.movies. That works fine.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sometimes when I upload to Usenet binsearch seems to recognize the files for what they are i.e. the collection reads as being composed of so many .rar files, so many .par2 files, an NFO, and so on. At other times, Binsearch seems not to do so and simply reads the collection as being composed of so many "other files"; this happened to me twice recently. I followed the same uploading procedure (unless I did something different inadvertently).

This is irritating because it means that one cannot click on the NFO and see the details. I notice that other people's uploads sometimes appear the same way. Does anyone know why this happens?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To download stuff from Usenet I use Grabit, it's free and works very well.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
+1 on Grabit, though it's been a looooooooooooong time since I needed to use it.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
To download stuff from Usenet I use Grabit, it's free and works very well.

I take it that this is a generic comment and not connected to my question? :)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've updated the original post and added information on creating an SFV file. I plan on tweaking it further in the near future to go into more detail about what each files purpose is.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the guide Q2! I'm almost finished uplaoding a BD to usenet, but have had to pause uploading a number of times due to bandwidth issues along the way. This has resulted in several partially uploaded files. When restarting the upload, I get the error: 441: Posting Message Failed: Message ID is not unique E1

I'm using camelsystem powerpost, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious 'reset' option for each file. In task properties, you can re-check all parts to post, but this doesn't fix the issue.

Anyone else solved this particular issue?

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
I take it that this is a generic comment and not connected to my question? :)

Since you were talking about uploading that would be the correct assumption :)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Props to Sabnzbd app for one feature worthy of mentioning. (Allegedly Grabit can't do this?) You can configure it to run with multiple usenet servers. So currently I have the free server with 10 day retention set as my main provider, and then Newsdemon is set as my "backup" provider with my 200GB premium block.

Also, the extra $2 for SSL service on Newsdemon is total worth it IMO. Extra security and no ISP throttling.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since we're talking about premium usenet providers, I'd like to recommend my provider. I'm on the Astraweb unlimited GB downloads at 10 megabits per second plan where I pay 6.66 dollars every month (20 for three months). SSL is included. The speed is at maximum 99 percent of the time. Even at this 10 mbit/s limit, an HD fanedit at, say, 8 gb will take less than two hours to download. A public domain comic CBZ at 30 megabytes will finish in a few seconds.

Especially for my needs (where my download speed is limited to 10 megabits by my ISP anyway), this is a good deal. (And although the Astraweb website looks like it was designed in 1997, they're legit and trustworthy.)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Since we're talking about premium usenet providers, I'd like to recommend my provider. I'm on the Astraweb unlimited GB downloads at 10 megabits per second plan where I pay 6.66 dollars every month (20 for three months). SSL is included. The speed is at maximum 99 percent of the time. Even at this 10 mbit/s limit, an HD fanedit at, say, 8 gb will take less than two hours to download. A public domain comic CBZ at 30 megabytes will finish in a few seconds.

Especially for my needs (where my download speed is limited to 10 megabits by my ISP anyway), this is a good deal. (And although the Astraweb website looks like it was designed in 1997, they're legit and trustworthy.)

Good to know. What is the retention time? I'm new to usenet, but this detail always has to be shared when comparing various services/plans.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, forgot that part. Astraweb retention is currently at 1448 days.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
q2 said:
Click the Newsgroups tab. Click the Add New Newsgroup button and type: alt.binaries.fan-edits alt.binaries.movies, then click the OK button. Now check the box next to our newly added newsgroup.

Are we still just sticking with the generic movies newsgroup?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ugh, 1 1/2 hours later I finally realized why I wasn't able to upload. Have to request access from usenet provider on their website. And NOW I see that that little tidbit was in fact included in guide, but I missed it!

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
Thanks for the guide Q2! I'm almost finished uplaoding a BD to usenet, but have had to pause uploading a number of times due to bandwidth issues along the way. This has resulted in several partially uploaded files. When restarting the upload, I get the error: 441: Posting Message Failed: Message ID is not unique E1

I'm using camelsystem powerpost, and there doesn't seem to be an obvious 'reset' option for each file. In task properties, you can re-check all parts to post, but this doesn't fix the issue.

Anyone else solved this particular issue?

:mad: hmmm. I still have no idea what to do about partially uploaded files. So far, i have uploaded 83/254 parts of the BD, but parts 64 and 75 got stuck during the upload. They each managed to upload about half their content before doing so.

So I am at a loss here. If I choose the option "re-queue files in error", I then get the same error message, 441, telling me the message-id is not unique. I'll assume this is due to the fact that the file is partially uploaded, but I don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions from those in the know would be greatly appreciated

I'll ask the newsdemon support team if no one here knows the solution, but am worried if I draw attention to the fact I am uploading a 20GB Bluray, they'll suspend my account on suspicion of copywrite issues.

This guide is helpful in explaining what I think should happen...

http://www.binaries4all.com/repost/

But unfortunately, I actually have only ticked the parts that had not yet uploaded, and am still getting the error message. curious...

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
So I am at a loss here. If I choose the option "re-queue files in error", I then get the same error message, 441, telling me the message-id is not unique. I'll assume this is due to the fact that the file is partially uploaded, but I don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to assume you're using PowerPost. If the file gets stuck or doesn't fully upload you can re-upload over the old one. Right-click the file and choose re-queue selected files. Then right-click the file again and choose task priorities and either check all or only the ones you want to re-upload. If usenet (or NZBcc) is reporting missing segments this is how you would also re-upload just those missing segments. Then just click the Post button and it should take care of it for you.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Q2. Unfortunately, I had tried that approach already, but am still having the issue.

The log tells me parts 1-67 uploaded ok, and parts 68-135 were not uploaded due to error 441. When taking the approach above, checking only parts 68-135, I get the same error. I decided to try checking 69-135, and this worked. Sure enough, only part 68 is the problem.

It would seem that uploading was interupted while part 68 was being uploaded. The log reports that part 68 failed to upload, yet it won't let me re-upload it, as part of this file is already online, thus triggering the 441 error message.

So, as it stands I have uploaded 134/135 parts of this file, but cannot figure out a way to upload the problematic 68th part... I'll keep looking for a solution and report back if I find one.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What if you re-queue all segments?

Top Bottom