• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Previewer Reviewer

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The idea for this thread is to provide a space to publicly acknowledge the positive influence a previewer has had on a project and to celebrate the important role previewers play within the fanediting community. The edits I have worked on would not have seen the light of day were it not for the input of other people but it is, without question, the previewers to whom I am most indebted. Many of the most constructive conversations I've had about my edits have taken place in private chats and while I always credit those who contributed to an edit I'd like to have a place dedicated to those who work behind the scenes.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like to say thank you to @"Scar" who not only previewed my previous Thor: Odinson? - God-sized Edition but who recently watched the workprint for my upcoming Valerian edit. Scar has provided me with some really interesting suggestions for how I could resolve a couple of narrative frustrations. The feedback they gave me was not just detailed but really well thought out. They've offered two alternative solutions for a particularly frustrating plot point. I hadn't considered either of these beforehand and both could theoretically work. I'm really looking forward to working on them and seeing which one bears fruit.
ol8gHNf.png

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"orchidal" has helped me on a few of projects now with the latest being Planetfall but it was his input on my Godzilla edit which was most valuable (so far). A main aim of my Godzilla Vs The World edit was to minimise the bloat and I had felt I had trimmed all the fat I could. After previewing the edit Orchidal offered the simple suggestion of removing an entire scene, a scene I had tried unsuccessfully to truncate. The idea of removing it entirely had never occurred to me but removing it not only reduced the run time by a further 5 minutes but eliminated some heavy handed exposition very neatly. The answer was so obvious and yet I just never saw it which is a testament to the value of a second pair of eyes. As an added bonus I got to return the favour and preview one of Orchidal's potential edits and I was very impressed with the ideas they demonstrated as well as the execution of them. I look forward to seeing what they do next.
AaIYNQi.jpg

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Colour grading is not something I've done before but given how The Amazing Spider-Man 1 + 2 vary wildly in their colour palette it was something I needed to employ to give my forthcoming edit a cohesive look. @"Jimmy Jesus" offered to preview my Radioactive Edition and they gave me a much needed second opinion on my initial attempts. His input should hopefully mean my regrade will be regreat. Thanks Jimmy.
LG6JSV6.jpg

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"mnkykungfu" was the first person within this community to preview a completed edit of mine. Having been a member of Fanedit.org for less than a month I was still getting to grips with all the different aspects of this hobby and I was nervous about having my efforts appraised by a stranger on the internet. Mnkykungfu gave feedback which was not only enthusiastic but really constructive and detailed. It allowed me to finish the edit to a high enough standard to get it approved. It was they who championed the Blu-ray exclusive deleted scenes and ultimately inspired me to invest in this hobby via a new laptop and a blu ray drive and go on to rebuild the edit as Thor: Odinson? - God-sized Edition. Were it not for their passion I probably would have continued working with DVD sources. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better induction into the fanediting community and I am grateful for the time they invested in an unproven faneditor like me but of course they did...
wO6iC8T.jpg

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Awww, shucks. Great idea for a thread. Too often people are motivated to vent when things are a bit negative, and let slip by the moments which are positive. I'd no idea anything I said mattered that much, but I'm glad you found it helpful and inspiring to whatever extent you did. Cheers, and keep it up, Malthus!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The journey from conceiving an idea for an edit to creating one varies from project to project. Some of my edits, such as my Driver or Planetfall, required minimal forethought before the editing process could begin. Others have required a lot more groundwork. An example of this is my forthcoming edit Star Wars: Ashes of the Empire.

Before I joined this community all of the fanedits I'd watched had been Star Wars edits. With that in mind, it was inevitable that I would eventually take a crack at one myself. I've been wrestling with the idea for the past six months hoping to create a single film that blends aspects of episodes 7 & 8 but does so in a way that delivers something different. Last week I had an epiphany and finally began work on this.

Typically I wait until I have a relatively polished final draft sorted before seeking out a previewer. With this project however I wanted to get some early feedback on my fanmixed story. As Yoda said: "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." If I ever want to bring this edit into the light I knew I had to take this to the Jedi council itself.

Enter @"the scribbling man". Scrib has given me some fantastic feedback primarily focused on plot points that require further development and continuity issues/plot holes which have been created by blending the stories. Armed with this information I feel much better equipped to navigate the rest of this project. Regarding the feedback itself, it was clear, detailed, unbiased, and most importantly timestamped. And, as if that wasn't enough, Scrib even took the time to help me work on the text for my crawl.

Thank you so much for the effort you put into the feedback, you've certainly given me a new hope.

2DIBi0P.gif

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In light of the recent revelations I wanted to resurrect this thread for those of you who want to share the efforts of previewers who've gone the extra mile to help you. The hope nlis that new and old members alike one will find people to collaborate together, which ultimately, is what this community is for.

Top Bottom