• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Postman: Spark of Hope

theomega

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've edited the intro texts to stay longer on screen and I changed the font to Birch. Both ArtisDead, my wife and daughter though the Birch font was the better one. Who am I to argue :).

And specially for you Art, with Johnny Cash. Though I don't think I'll be using it in the final edit. With all respect, it's a great song, but I can't get it to play nicely with the scene coming right after the intro. The original audio just works a bit better. Great song nevertheless.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Intro texts look great! 👍

While I love any Johnny Cash, I find songs with lyrics distracting when there is a large amount of text to read. My brain keeps thinking the text should match the lyrics... I call it Karaoke Syndrome 🤪 😂:ROFLMAO:😁
I think an instrumental piece would work better.

theomega

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently a bit swamped in work for the next two weeks. I will work on the edit from time to time, I'm just not entirely sure how much time I can spend on it.

So ArtisDead, take your time with the intro text.
I will however finish it, I'm so close, won't stop now.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was hoping that we could release this by Christmas.

theomega

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will certainly try, but I also got some exams coming. So it's a bit busy right now. But I'll certainly try.

theomega

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Davinci Resolve Free isn't the best NLE software around in my opinion. I like Premiere pro better, but Resolve is still very, very good and it's free. I forced myself to learn Resolve because I used to use hacked software, but I don't want that anymore, expecially not for fanedits. And Premiere is rather expensive for my needs.

But Resolve isn't the most reliable when it comes to exporting. I'm currently in the process of getting the edit rendered out, but I'll manually have to check the picture and both 2.0 and 5.1 audio tracks for exporting errors. It's extra unnecessary work, but that's the price I pay for free software I guess. Not that it's a real big problem, but it's going to take me some extra time before I can present the next version of the edit to you guys.

I made several changes to the edit with the help of ArtisDead, INIGHTMARES, Futon88, BionicBob, Wraith and Latern51. The edit's better than it was before and it's almost finished.
In about 2 hours the video is encoded and tonight I'll mux the 2.0 in and maybe watch it tonight, or tomorrow. Then I only need to rewatch it with the 5.1, correct any video/audio issues and I'm finished for the final review process.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This version of the movie is definitive "go to" from here on out. Dang! Did you ever polish a dud that had potential. We can call this the Johhny Cash version. Very enthusiastically approved! Good job!

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But Resolve isn't the most reliable when it comes to exporting.
Here’s how to overcome the buggy audio exports in Resolve:

1. Save a copy of your finished project under a new filename.
2. Highlight all the audio clips in the timeline and delete them with the backspace button.
3. Go to Edit > undo (or press CTRL + Y) to reinstate all the audio (this will properly reset all the audio fade in and fade outs)
4. On the export tab, don’t render video and audio at the same time. Do them separately as separate files. One video file and one audio file. The audio is prone to have glitches otherwise.
5. Render the audio as a WAV file and use another program to compress it to AAC or AC3 or whatever you like.
EDIT: 6. Combine video and audio files using mkvmerge.

Last edited:

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This version of the movie is definitive "go to" from here on out. Dang! Did you ever polish a dud. I did not care for the original because I do not care for Kevin Costner. You made me like it. Now I feel compelled to check out @bionicbob's edit, as well. We can call this the "Johhny Cash Cut". Very enthusiastically approved! Good job!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I feel compelled to check out @bionicbob's edit, as well. We can call this the "Johhny Cash Cut". Very enthusiastically approved! Good job!
Apparently I have been around here long enough that this marks the third HD remake of one my past fan edits. I feel OLD. 😂😄🤪

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wasn't aware that this was a "remake" of your edit. I just thought that you both did one.

theomega

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, a lot of changes I made are directly inspired of BionicBobs edit. The biggest being cutting the first act of the movie.

But it's not a carbon copy. I got really inspired by Bobs edit and it's a wonderful edit.

theomega

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had one more idea today. I just wanted to run this by you. It's very rough, almost all sound effects are missing. But I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to insert into the final edit? Or maybe it's too late?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had one more idea today. I just wanted to run this by you. It's very rough, almost all sound effects are missing. But I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to insert into the final edit? Or maybe it's too late?
Love it!!!!

Top Bottom