• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Outside Man (1972) aka Un Homme Est Morte [Fanfix / Restoration]

MisterCooper

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Summary : After fulfilling a contract killing in Los Angeles, a French hit man becomes the target of a hit himself and tries to flee back to Paris.
Intent : Make a sleeker action based thriller that removes all of clumsy editing and extra padding

Where to begin with this movie, for those that don't know, this film was a co-french production and with the
main star being french, all of his scenes were reshot with him doing his lines in French and English for each market (Fr/USA), now this is where the fun begins.

The American version is also much shorter than the French version, the french version seems to have added every bit of footage they had shot for the film,
there was actually so much b-roll and extra footage of nothingness that I was able to re-adjust other scenes and edit them properly.

The American DVD also looks like garbage and is missing footage in the most random places (condensing scenes, but leaving raw footage of people walking🤷‍♂️) I did not want to use any video footage from that disc, but I did use the audio track from that to sync to the French DVD master, now that version has certain scenes of Jean Louis speaking his English lines in French [remember what I said earlier] (usually close up shots), so occasionally there are very brief bad dubbing lip movements that were out of my hands. It just adds to the grindhouse feel of the film though.

Almost every scene was readjusted in this fanfix, there was lots of unintentional awkward pauses from having too much lead (especially during conversations) or just really amateurish editing that made the film a huge snooze.

I also removed the cop subplot entirely because it was nothing but filler to pad the runtime out,
The film is now ONLY about the hitman trying to solve the mystery of who is behind the hit and the remaining main principle cast.

This version does not include the studio made theme song (that actually includes spoilers in the lyrics) that was added in the US cut (they used it to open the film as well)

There's so much extra random footage I removed, it's almost impossible to keep track of everything, but here's the main list.

Scenes removed :

Trimmed up the hotel opening
Removed Angie Dickenson coming in to say 'hello' and then going out to the pool to pass out drinks.
Jean-Louis Trintignant speaking to operator on Telephone
Jean-Louis Trintignant and Ann-Margret having breakfast while she complains
Roy Scheider drives to gas station and waits
Alex Rocco hanging out at strip club
Cop Subplot and the reoccurring Carjacking victim
Truncated a handful of scenes to make the English Dub work for Jean Louis (all narrative points still come across)
At least 5 min of people just walking, driving or getting out of cars.

Readjusted almost every action or conversation scene to make it work with the resynced English audio track, or to just make the scenes flow better.

Scenes included :

Chase scene with police and older woman
Roy gets a Burger
Establishing shot of hotel
Jean Louis checking his pockets for passport
Extended conversation of Ann Margaret and Jean Louis in Motel before the airport, which includes a necessary reaction shot (originally cut in US version)
Some extra gore shots during the shoot out at the Funeral Home.

Sources used :
French DVD (open matted) cropped to 1.66
American on Demand MGM DVD-R (for english audio)

French Cut Length :
1hr 50min NTSC

American Cut Length :
1hr 44min NTSC

New Length :
1hr 24min NTSC

720p 1.66 Aspect Ratio
2.0 English

Updated : Translated the intentional french dialog scenes that were previously un-subtitled on the US release.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That FE logo is on point! I think custom logos/cards and credits are becoming my favorite thing in edits. Now time to see if I can find this movie.

MisterCooper

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That FE logo is on point! I think custom logos/cards and credits are becoming my favorite thing in edits. Now time to see if I can find this movie.
Thanks so much, I highly recommend NOT WATCHING any American trailer either, as it's full of spoilers

Top Bottom