• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Others from Your Mama Video

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

• 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

YourMamaVideo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Others

A true fanedit .....

This version of the movie completely removes the father from the story. There is no mention of him
at all. It is a true ghost story with a faster pace. I have always thought that the father showing
back up in the middle of the film slowed down the pace of the real story. It gets you going and then
drags you along for 20 mins and then throws you back into the main story. So, now it continues to move along
with the mother and the children. So, if you like a good ghost story then get ready for, The Others.

This is the second version of the movie i have done. It is almost the same as the first one. It is not
chopped up as much as the original. Also, i have fixed the video issues i had from the first edit.

Coming in APRIL 2009

yes, great!

sounds good donnie. I really enjoyed the Others, but I see your point about the father. I'll be giving this one a watch :)

original film name: The Others
new film name : The Others
film studio name : Dimension
edit crew name : Your Mama Video
Date Original Film Was Released : AUG. 10, 2001
Date Edit Was Released : April 2009
Original Runtime : 101 min
New Runtime : 65 min
Amount of time Cut/Added : 41 min cut

Fanedit details:
To create a true ghost story by leaving out the father and letting the story line of the mother and children continue without interruption.

The changes:
- completely removed the father and any mention of him.
- rearanged the scene with anne in the dress playing.
- cut down the ending. Now there is no happy ending.

DVD DETAILS
65 mins / single layer NTSC / 1.85 : 1 / menus / trailer

Your intention for this fanedit:
I loved the Others the first time i watched it. But, the father was always a troublesome character for me. I was talking with a friend of mine about it one day and he said, "why don't you just cut him out." So i did. This edit is pretty much like the first version i did, but now it has a better quality picture and runs a little longer. I am very happy with this version and i hope that everyone will be aswell.

SIDE NOTES
-I want to thank Boon for mentioning that he'd like to see a "completed" copy of this edit. That gave me the spark to get back on this edit and finish it up. And i am very glad i did.

Hardware and software information:

-fairuse wizard 2
-vegas pro 8
-dvd architect 4.5

Time needed for the edition:
editing: 4 days
menu: 1 day

cover art by boon23 (download here):
3D_boon23_theothers.jpg

Maybe downloadable from Fanedit.info

thank you for creating this, DonnieX. The old version 1 was an awesome fanedit (despite the image quality) and I am looking very forward to v2 in great quality.

very cool. i have been looking for an excuse to watch this movie again. thanks.

Hey Boon. I just wanted to say thanks for the cover art, it looks great.
Hope everyone who has watched this has enjoyed it. Thanks!

The Others by YourMamaVideo

review by boon23

Prologue:
This is version 2 of this fanedit. I have watched the old avi version as well, which came in truly bad image quality and so I was very happy to finally view this fanedit in true DVD quality, because it deserved that.
"The Others" (original) is a great, scary little movie, yet long at times, but still an unforgettable watching experience and an example of how a great director can with a little budget create an awesome ghost story.
It is an old fashioned movie, low on scares, but the ones that are there are VERY effective.

As for all my reviews: this is just my personal opinion of this fanedit. I cannot tell anybody else, if he or she will experience it in the same way or the opposite. So my review is not objective and does not reflect the opinion of fanedit.org.

!!!!This review contains heavy spoilers!!!

The edit:
So I sat down to watch the fanedit and when the movie started I was taken out of right ahead: wrong aspect ratio. The image looks squished. If I had not waited for this fanedit in DVD quality for so long (was it 2 years) I would have quit right ahead, because a fanedit should never be released like that and it was obviously not properly checked.
But luckily I have a TV that can correct this issue and so I watched in 14:9, which kind of looked right.
Despite the fanedit info the father is mentioned one time by the kids quite early. That scene should have been removed for consistency.
Apart from that I was again highly entertained. The short playing time of 65 minutes is perfect for this movie. It's a short, scary and very well edited fanedit. No hard cuts, nothing unneeded. I am still a fan. A good and creepy ghost movie that entertains me more than the original.
editing: 9 of 10 (not taking the wrong AR into account here, losing 1 point for the mentioning of the father)
entertainment: 7 of 10 (original 7 of 10)(taking the wrong AR slightly into account and the scene that should not be there - if these things would be corrected it would be a 10 of 10)

Image and video quality:

Despite the wrong AR the video quality is good. The image is sharp, the blacks are good (needed for a movie that is so dark). No hard video cuts noticed.
Video quality: 4 of 10 (taking the wrong AR big time into account, making the video quality subpar)

Audio editing and audio quality:
The audio editing was perfect. I did not notice anything disturbing. Sound quality is great.
audio editing: 10 of 10
sound quality: 10 of 10
resulting in a 10 of 10 for overall audio

presentation:
The fanedit comes with an animated menu and scene selection. No other extras. I created the cover art for it after it was released, so I cannot rate that. The overall presentation is simple but works. The link color should not have been white on white on text. It though looks like a rushed release with not too much love for presentation.
DVD menus: 6 of 10 (animated, losing points for white link color on white text), extras: 0 of 10

This results in a 3 of 10 rating from me for presentation.

Final result: 7 of 10
Again I am putting my hopes into a fixed release of this fanedit. Unfortunately I cannot recommend this fanedit currently. For me as a fanedit of it, it was quite good, but other people will probably suffer too much from the wrong AR.

I posted a review for this fanedit here.

Back
Top Bottom