• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
3662551c0fac27ca44b295c94dec27ae7894b0fe.jpg

The Oscar noms are out today. Here is a list of all the films, starting with the Best Picture noms and then any other films that are up for awards:

Best Picture:
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Once upon a Time...in Hollywood

Parasite

Actor in a Leading Role:
Pain and Glory
The Two Popes

Actress in a Leading Role:
Harriet
Bombshell

Judy

Actor in a Supporting Role:
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Actress in a Supporting Role:
Richard Jewell

Cinematography:
The Lighthouse

International Feature Film:
Corpus Christi
Les Misérables

Documentary (Feature):
American Factory
The Cave
The Edge of Democracy
For Sama
Honeyland

Animated Feature Film:
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
Missing Link
Toy Story 4

Writing (Original Screenplay):
Knives Out

Music (Original Song):
Rocketman
Breakthrough
Frozen II

Sound Mixing:
Ad Astra

Visual Effects:
Avengers: Endgame
The Lion King
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Makeup and Hairstyling:
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

The Golden Globes and BAFTAs had many of the same nominations but also these ones:
Dolemite Is My Name
The Farewell
Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Booksmart
Late Night
The Report
Hustlers
Cats

Motherless Brooklyn
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Bait
Sorry We Missed You
Maiden
Only You
Retablo
Apollo 11
Diego Maradona

The Great Hack
A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
Wild Rose
The Personal History of David Copperfield

I've watched many of the films already (highlighted in gold) and still have some reviews to write but I'm going to try and watch more in the next 2-3 weeks before the ceremony. I think I'm doing better than I have in previous year's attempts at the same challenge.

I've made a Letterboxd list with everything on.

There are also 15 more Oscar nominated short films:
Documentary (Short Subject):
In the Absence
Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)
Life Overtakes Me
St. Louis Superman
Walk Run Cha-Cha

Short Film (Animated):
Dcera (Daughter)
Hair Love
Kitbull
Memorable
Sister

Short Film (Live Action):
Brotherhood
Nefta Football Club
The Neighbors' Window
Saria
A Sister

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not too many surprises, aside from the fact that Joker is leading the pack.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Not too many surprises, aside from the fact that Joker is leading the pack.

I was a little surprised that J-Lo wasn't nominated and I just assumed 'The Farewell' was going to be up for multiple awards (deservedly), so I was surprised it was nowhere to be seen. Also I thought 'Apollo 11' was a shoe in for a doc nomination. Greta Gerwig should've got a Best Director nom, instead of Scorsese, it's far from his best. I was hoping (but not at all expecting) that Dolemite would somehow get something :D .

It's possible Joker could pickup Best Actor alone and the most awards go to '1917'.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm outraged and disgusted by the lack of an Animation nomination for A Shaun The Sheep Movie: Farmageddon.

(... No, I haven't yet seen it.)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
I'm outraged and disgusted by the lack of an Animation nomination for A Shaun The Sheep Movie: Farmageddon.

(... No, I haven't yet seen it.)

Has it been released in US theaters? I think it might be going straight to Netflix soon. Even the UK release was low key like with the last Aardman movie, which rapidly went to streaming. It's a shame if that's the way they are doing things from now on.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, it hasn't... I got Early Man from a Redbox, though that did get a theatrical run. Don't recall if the first Shaun the Sheep movie did. (Seems like it did?) And you're right, it will be a Netflix release Stateside; I didn't know that.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Todd Phillips being nominated is a travesty, especially considering Taika was snubbed. I like a lot of things going on in Joker, the directing was never one of them.

Here's hoping we see a lot of wins for Jojo Rabbit and Parasite.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can see the nomination for Joaquin Phoenix, though I thought he was better last year in You Were Never Really Here. But I’m hoping either Driver (A Marriage Story) or Pryce (The Two Popes) pulls the upset.

addiesin said:
"Joker’s Oscar Nominations Are a Joke: Stop the madness. This movie is dumb as hell."
https://slate.com/culture/2020/01/oscar-nominations-2020-joker-best-picture-no.html

This was a fun read. I haven't seen the movie, don't know how I feel about it. Still a fun read.

I definitely don’t disagree.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
joker: phoenix gave a jaw-dropping performance. but the movie doesn't have much to say.

marriage story: some of the acting was purdy good (johansson's sister, not so much). more articulate than kramer versus kramer, but best picture of the year? i don't think so.

the irishman: pesci, de niro, pacino—these guys can fucking act; they can take banal dialogue and make it seem almost epic. but it took almost 3.5 mostly boring hours to get to the point of the movie. this had better not be up for an editing award. . . oh, wait, it's up for an editing award.

the two popes: not bad for what it is. i got through the whole thing without wishing for an exorcism scene.  :D

looking forward to watching the lighthouse and knives out. not looking particularly forward to once upon a time in hollywood, since tarantino's formula had gotten stale the last couple times i peeked.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just gave Almodóvar's Pain and Glory a watch and I gotta say... this is a movie that ticks off all the awards bait boxes without doing anything especially challenging or innovative. You name it: Main character is a filmmaker that suffers from a physical ailment? Check. Interspersed flashback structure? Check. Exactly one scene of gay stuff? Check. The only thing that stands out in my mind as special is one scene in particular, as it changes how you look at the film, but I can't say it elevates it especially.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
Just gave Almodóvar's Pain and Glory a watch and I gotta say... this is a movie that ticks off all the awards bait boxes without doing anything especially challenging or innovative. You name it: Main character is a filmmaker that suffers from a physical ailment? Check. Interspersed flashback structure? Check. Exactly one scene of gay stuff? Check.

I'm not sure what the "one" scene is because I thought a lot of the film was about Salvador being gay wasn't it? The young Salvador's first feelings, stopping to stare at Eduardo painting a wall in the hot son, caressing Eduardo's hand as Salvador teaches him to write, feinting when he sees him naked etc. The scene where Salvador reconciles with his great lost love Federico. The scene where Salvador is almost admitting why he didn't want his mother to live with him and maybe she is almost saying she knows why but they don't get the chance to forgive each other. Salvador finding the painting Eduardo did of him on the day he feinted.

Only You (2019)
'Only You' is up for the "Outstanding Debut" BAFTA but I think it should've been nominated for "Best Film" too. Structurally, it's like a romcom but with all the "com" taken out and replaced with more romance, beauty, pain, doubt and truth. Glasgow residents Elena and Jake randomly meet, it's "love at first sight" and the rest of the film is an intimate portrait of their relationship. It's best to go in knowing as little as possible about the plot because in many ways it's designed to subvert our expectations of a romantic film. Laia Costa and Josh O'Connor go beyond great acting and chemistry to where I just totally believed they were a couple and cared deeply about their lives. The uses of music are so memorable, especially Elvis Costello and a glorious cover of 'Blue Moon' by Chromatics which plays over the end credits sequence (which I watched every frame of). This is the first feature from Director/Writer Harry Wootliff but she should be up those two BAFTAs as well. It's on Netflix now.

Handily this clip doesn't give away the direction of the plot:

Parasite (2019)
If you liked the imaginative and satirical concepts of Bong Joon-ho's 'Snowpiercer' and 'Okja', then you will not be disappointed by the much trumpeted 'Parasite'. It follows a family of resourceful lower-class grifters who inveigle themselves into the home of a rich bourgeois family by posing as high-class servants. The double-meaning of the title comments on the way both sides feed off each other and can be seen as a larger examination of worldwide inequality. It's a very clever script that keeps hitting you with twists, social-critiques and escalations, although perhaps the cleverness runs out of steam when the story gets near it's resolution. The best thing about the writing is how it manages to keep you liking and sympathizing with the factions, no matter how terribly they behave.

Farmageddon: A Shaun the Sheep Movie (2019)
The plot to Aardman's latest film is basically a copy 'n' paste of 'E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial'. I didn't really mind, the dialogue-free clay-mation is delightful as always and there is lots of fun to be had spotting all the references to every Sci-Fi thing ever (Milliways Supermarket, Tars Bars, Roswell's Jam etc), even Charlie Chaplin's 'Modern Times' gets a nod (which I'm sure all the kids will get). Plus there are the trademark Aardman "blink and you'll miss it" grown-worthy puns like a "DRAB radio", "Brown Flakes" cereal and a newspaper called "ECHO Echo echo". Tom Howe's score cleverly homages themes from Sci-Fi scores by John Williams, James Horner and David Arnold.

The BAFTAs are on in half an hour so I'm out of time to watch the films. I managed to view all but 3 of the nominated movies this year (yay! :D ). Here is who I think should win from the choices available in each category (my personal favorites, not predictions):

Best Film: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Best Director: Bong Joon-ho (Parasite)
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Jessie Buckley (Wild Rose)
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Joe Pesci (The Irishman)
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
Best Original Screenplay: Knives Out
Best Adapted Screenplay: Little Women
Outstanding British Film: Bait
Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer: Harry Wootliff, Writer/Director (Only You)
Best Cinematography: The Lighthouse
Best Editing: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Best Costume Design: Little Women
Best Production Design: Jojo Rabbit
Best Makeup and Hair: Bombshell
Best Original Score: 1917
Best Sound: 1917
Best Special Visual Effects: The Lion King
Best Film Not in the English Language: Pain and Glory
Best Documentary: For Sama
Best Animated Film: Toy Story 4
Best Casting: The Personal History of David Copperfield
Rising Star Award: Awkwafina

(I haven't seen any of the nominated short films by the way.)

Let's see if the BAFTA voters agree with me on anything ;) . Still another week to squeeze in a couple more Oscar nominated films!

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ooooh I feel dumb, I think I interpreted him fainting as him getting sunstroke from sitting in the sun for so long? What you said makes more sense :')

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
^ooooh I feel dumb, I think I interpreted him fainting as him getting sunstroke from sitting in the sun for so long? What you said makes more sense :')

I think it's supposed to be both. I thought the mum character gives the painter this quick searching look like "what was really going on here?" when he tells her it was sunstroke.

Well they got 6 out of 23 "right" :D . Nice to see 'Bait' and 'For Sama' get awards.

Best Film: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Best Director: Bong Joon-ho (Parasite)

Best Actor in a Leading Role: Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Jessie Buckley (Wild Rose)
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Joe Pesci (The Irishman)
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Laura Dern (Marriage Story)
Best Original Screenplay: Knives Out
Best Adapted Screenplay: Little Women
Outstanding British Film: Bait
Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer: Harry Wootliff, Writer/Director (Only You)
Best Cinematography: The Lighthouse
Best Editing: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Best Costume Design: Little Women
Best Production Design: Jojo Rabbit
Best Makeup and Hair: Bombshell
Best Original Score: 1917
Best Sound: 1917
Best Special Visual Effects: The Lion King
Best Film Not in the English Language: Pain and Glory
Best Documentary: For Sama
Best Animated Film: Toy Story 4
Best Casting: The Personal History of David Copperfield
Rising Star Award: Awkwafina

Now on with the Oscars!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't seem to find 'Les Misérables' anywhere for love nor money. If I had a private jet on standby and unlimited funds, I think it'd still be pretty difficult to find somewhere in the world to watch it. Obviously the name makes it difficult to find information on Google. Damn you Academy for nominating films that mere mortals cannot attain :D .

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I can't seem to find 'Les Misérables' anywhere for love nor money. If I had a private jet on standby and unlimited funds, I think it'd still be pretty difficult to find somewhere in the world to watch it. Obviously the name makes it difficult to find information on Google. Damn you Academy for nominating films that mere mortals cannot attain :D .

It looks like it was just recently released in limited theaters here in the US.  The closets showing to me is about 50 miles away, but its playing in 10 cities between NYC to Washington DC.  I don't know about the UK (where I believe you're located) or anywhere else.  I checked IMDB and it lead me in the right direction.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neg's Predictions...

Picture - 1917
Director - Sam Mendes
Actor - Joaquin Phoenix
Actress - Renee Zellweger
Supporting Actor - Brad Pitt
Supporting Actress - Laura Dern
Original Screenplay - Parasite
Adapted Screenplay - Jojo Rabbit

Not gonna be many surprises.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I wouldn't ever advise betting against @"Neglify" on this one! :cool:  I really can't fathom why Renee Zellweger is such a cert in all these awards ceremonies, she's the worst (or least best anyway) out of all the best-actress nominations IMHO. My Bafta nomination wishlist (above) would pretty much carry over for the Academy awards, so I won't bother posting my thoughts on that.

My last few Oscar nom reviews:

The Cave (2019)
It's feels unfair to compare Feras Fayyad's film with the incredible 'For 'Sama' but they are both 2019 Documentaries filmed in Syrian hospitals being constantly bombed, with particular focus on children. "The Cave" of the title is a makeshift hospital setup in underground tunnels, run by Amani Ballour, a female doctor. She doesn't "just" have to cope with shell-shock, exhaustion, finding enough food for her staff, having no anesthetic (they play the patients soothing classic music instead), dwindling medicines and overseeing the building of hospital fortifications but she also has do deal with male patients not wanting to be treated by a woman! The tunnels provide good shelter for civilians from Russian warplanes but it's unable to protect children when the regime starts using Chlorine gas on them. Despite these horrors the incredible medical staff's efforts to keep their spirits up is heart-warming. The thing you remember most is the soundmix, which captures the terrifying thuds and wails of explosions and collapsing buildings that echo round the cave.

Breakthrough (2019)
I only forced myself to watch this for Oscar-nominations completeness (it's up for 'Best Original Song'). Based on the "true" story of how a mother prayed her son out of a coma. You can either approach 'Breakthrough' as one of the worst movies of 2019, or as the Best comedy-fantasy film of the year! I got a few more laughs out of this than most deliberately funny movies. Syrupy, sentimental and unquestioning, it's only interested in pandering to it's target audience.

Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)
Another movie I've watched just to tick it off the Oscar-nominations list (it's up for 'Best Makeup and Hairstyling'). The filmmakers seem to have assumed that if they scribble down enough fairytale twaddle on a page to fill 2-hours and then throw as much CGI up on the screen as possible it'd somehow work out. I'm not sure a plot about an evil Queen trying to ethnically-cleanse her magic kingdom with Zyklon-B pixie-dust was such a great idea. The three "lovable" little mo-cap fairies with human faces are way creepier than anything in 'Cats'. Chiwetel Ejiofor and Robert Lindsay do their best to lend the production some gravitas.

Yay, I've "succeeded" in watching all the nominated Oscar films this year... sadly with the exception of the shorts and the French film 'Les Miserables' because it's not out for another 2 months in the UK and hasn't been released to DVD/streaming anywhere in the world yet (as far as I'm aware).

It being Oscars day, I guess that's the official cutoff for 2019. So my personal top 10-20 of last year would be (my opinion might change by next week though :D ):

1. Only You (Harry Wootliff)
2. Dolemite Is My Name (Craig Brewer)
3. For Sama (Waad Al-Kateab & Edward Watts))
4. Uncut Gems (Josh Safdie & Benny Safdie)
5. Pain and Glory (Pedro Almodovar)

6. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Quentin Tarantino)
7. Corpus Christi (Jan Komasa)
8. Parasite (Bong Joon-ho)
9. Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi)
10. The Farewell (Lulu Wang)

11. Midsommar (Ari Aster)
12. Wild Rose (Tom Harper)
13. The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers)
14. Apollo 11 (Todd Douglas Miller)
15. 1917 (Sam Mendes)

16. Weathering with You (Makoto Shinkai)
17. The Kid Who Would Be King (Joe Cornish)
18. Bait (Mark Jenkin)
19. Leaving Neverland (Dan Reed)
20. Us (Jordan Peele)

Also my bottom-5 worst films I've watched from this year:

5. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Dean DeBlois)
4. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (Joachim Ronning)
3. Breakthrough (Roxann Dawson)
2. Frankenstein's Monster's Monster, Frankenstein (Daniel Gray Longino)
1. The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"TM2YC" Did you not like How to Train Your Dragon 3? I did not see it

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So which category has the greatest potential for a surprise? Best picture?

Top Bottom