• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Perhaps it's the fault of the media for picking up the story and running with it, but this campaign is also a much bigger deal than a typical "Leo was snubbed" comment, as it's suggesting the only reason Greta Gerwig isn't being given all the directing awards and Robbie isn't being given all the acting awards is simply because it was a "feminist" movie and apparently the Academy hates feminism. Nothing to do with the relative strengths of the other nominees mind you, screw them, they suck, Margot Robbie should get best film, what do you mean she's not a film? Do you hate women? #margotrobbiewassnubbedforbestpicture #justiceforbarbieandwhileweareatitforthesongbarbiegirlbyaqua

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Perhaps it's the fault of the media for picking up the story and running with it, but this campaign is also a much bigger deal than a typical "Leo was snubbed" comment, as it's suggesting the only reason Greta Gerwig isn't being given all the directing awards and Robbie isn't being given all the acting awards is simply because it was a "feminist" movie and apparently the Academy hates feminism. Nothing to do with the relative strengths of the other nominees mind you, screw them, they suck, Margot Robbie should get best film, what do you mean she's not a film? Do you hate women? #margotrobbiewassnubbedforbestpicture #justiceforbarbieandwhileweareatitforthesongbarbiegirlbyaqua
I literally have only heard about this story from angry movie guys lol and I watch the night news before bed every night like the old man that I am.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having now seen most of the films nominated in major categories and all of the best picture films, here’s my pick and predictions:

Best supporting actor

• Sterling K. Brown, "American Fiction" (My pick)
  • Robert De Niro, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • Robert Downey Jr., "Oppenheimer" (prediction)
  • Ryan Gosling, "Barbie"
  • Mark Ruffalo, "Poor Things"
Best adapted screenplay

• "American Fiction" - Cord Jefferson
  • "Barbie" - Noah Baumbach, Greta Gerwig
  • "Oppenheimer" - Christopher Nolan (prediction and my pick)
  • "Poor Things" - Tony McNamara
  • "The Zone of Interest" - Jonathan Glazer
Best original screenplay

• "Anatomy of a Fall" - Justine Triet, Arthur Harari (prediction)
  • "The Holdovers" - David Hemingson
  • "Maestro" - Bradley Cooper, Josh Singer
  • "May December" - Samy Burch, Alex Mechanik
  • "Past Lives" - Celine Song (my pick)
Best supporting actress

• Emily Blunt, "Oppenheimer"
  • Danielle Brooks, "The Color Purple"
  • America Ferrera, "Barbie"
  • Jodie Foster, "Nyad"
  • Da'Vine Joy Randolph, "The Holdovers" (prediction and my pick)
Best production design

• "Barbie" (prediction)
  • "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • "Napoleon"
  • "Oppenheimer"
  • "Poor Things" (my pick)
Best film editing

• "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • "The Holdovers"
  • "Oppenheimer" (prediction and my pick)
  • "Poor Things"
Best cinematography

• "El Conde" - Edward Lachman
  • "Killers of the Flower Moon" - Rodrigo Prieto
  • "Maestro" - Matthew Libatique
  • "Oppenheimer" - Hoyte van Hoytema (prediction)
  • "Poor Things" - Robbie Ryan (my pick)
Best actor

• Bradley Cooper, "Maestro"
  • Colman Domingo, "Rustin" (my pick)
  • Paul Giamatti, "The Holdovers"
  • Cillian Murphy, "Oppenheimer" (prediction)
  • Jeffrey Wright, "American Fiction"
Best actress

• Annette Bening, "Nyad"
  • Lily Gladstone, "Killers of the Flower Moon" (prediction)
  • Sandra Hüller, "Anatomy of a Fall" (my pick)
  • Carey Mulligan, "Maestro"
  • Emma Stone, "Poor Things"
Best director

• Justine Triet, "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • Martin Scorsese, "Killers of the Flower Moon"
  • Christopher Nolan, "Oppenheimer" (prediction)
  • Yorgos Lanthimos, "Poor Things" (my pick)
  • Jonathan Glazer, "The Zone of Interest"
Best picture

• "American Fiction"
  • "Anatomy of a Fall"
  • "Barbie"
  • "The Holdovers"
  • "Maestro"
  • "Oppenheimer" (prediction)
  • "Past Lives" (my pick)
  • "Poor Things"
  • "The Zone of Interest"

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is my annual Letterboxd combo list of the Oscars, Baftas and Golden globes (in that order): https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/2024-oscar-bafta-golden-globe-nominations/

So far, I've seen 19 out of 65 but still got a month to go.

^ 6-weeks later and I've managed to binge through 55, of the 65 films up for Baftas, GGs & Oscars. Just going by that crop it's a pretty good year for film, lots of films I loved, even more I thought were decent and not too many I truly hated.

My Top 25 and bottom 5 films are as follows:

Top 25:
1. Rye Lane
2. Poor Things
3. Fallen Leaves
4. The Holdovers
5. Oppenheimer
6. Babylon 5: The Road Home
7. RoboDoc: The Creation of RoboCop
8. Saltburn
9. Society of the Snow
10. The Old Oak
11. Anatomy of a Fall
12. All of Us Strangers
13. Barbie
14. 20 Days in Mariupol
15. Beyond Utopia
16. Priscilla
17. Napoleon
18. Killers of the Flower Moon
19. Wonka
20. Perfect Days
21. Suzume
22. Getting It Back: The Story Of Cymande
23. May December
24. Scrapper
25. STILL: A Michael J. Fox Movie

Bottom 5:
-1. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
-2. Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour
-3. The Super Mario Bros. Movie
-4. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
-5. Magic Mike’s Last Dance

Although I was tempted to make Hayao Miyazaki's 'The Boy and the Heron' my worst film of 2023 because although I was super excited to see it, he clearly didn't want me to be able to see it, by playing it at select theatres nowhere within a light year of where I lived :mad: and then not releasing it on home viewing anywhere either. Special annoyed mention of the Japanese Godzilla film which I also wanted to see but couldn't for the same reasons.

My personal picks (not predictions) for the Oscars tomorrow are:

Picture - Poor Things
Director - Christopher Nolan (Oppenheimer)
Actor - Colman Domingo (Rustin)
Actress - Sandra Hüller (Anatomy of a Fall)
Supporting Actor - Robert Downey Jr. (Oppenheimer)
Supporting Actress - Da'Vine Joy Randolph (The Holdovers)
Original Screenplay - The Holdovers
Adapted Screenplay - Barbie
Animated Feature - Robot Dreams
International Feature Film - Society of the Snow
Documentary Feature Film - 20 Days in Mariupol
Original Score - Poor Things
Original Song - I'm Just Ken (Barbie)
Sound - The Zone of Interest
Production Design - Barbie
Cinematography - Poor Things
Makeup and Hairstyling - Poor Things
Costume Design - Poor Things
Film Editing - Oppenheimer
Visual Effects - The Creator

The most egregious "snub" which stood out for me would be Dominic Sessa not getting at least a nomination for Best Supporting Actor in 'The Holdovers'.

Last edited:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Past Lives didn’t even make your top 25!? You’ve got a bunch in your list that I still haven’t seen. And some I’ve never even heard of including your number one Rye Lane. I guess I’ll have to seek it out.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Past Lives didn’t even make your top 25!? You’ve got a bunch in your list that I still haven’t seen. And some I’ve never even heard of including your number one Rye Lane. I guess I’ll have to seek it out.

Past Lives was a very nicely crafted film for sure but it didn't blow me away personally. If I'd done a top-30, it'd probably be in there. Rye Lane is on Disney+.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Past Lives was a very nicely crafted film for sure but it didn't blow me away personally. If I'd done a top-30, it'd probably be in there. Rye Lane is on Disney+.
It’s its understatedness that blew me away. It’s so real and so emotional without any of the characters ever resorting to shouting, which I feel almost every screenwriter/actor/director in Hollywood would’ve done. It portrays complex emotions and complex interpersonal relationships with nuance and subtlety that is sorely lacking in almost everything these days. But that’s just my opinion and why it’s my favorite movie of the year.

I’m also just realizing that my favorite movies of the year are mostly “foreign” films, many non-English.

1. Past Lives
  2. Anatomy of a Fall
  3. The Zone of Interest
  4. Poor Things
  5. The Holdovers
  6. May December
  7. Killers of the Flower Moon
  8. Oppenheimer
  9. American Fiction
  10. Saltburn

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It’s its understatedness that blew me away. It’s so real and so emotional without any of the characters ever resorting to shouting, which I feel almost every screenwriter/actor/director in Hollywood would’ve done. It portrays complex emotions and complex interpersonal relationships with nuance and subtlety that is sorely lacking in almost everything these days.

Same reaction from me in my review:

"A beautifully acted, and sensitively and maturely written film... But in seeking to deal with it's characters with inquisitive nuance and realism, perhaps there isn't enough good old fashioned drama to fully justify 106-minutes. Then again, for a film about a powerful love triangle, it's kinda impressive that Director/Writer Celine Song doesn't resort to a single raised voice any where."

Except I was less sure that was entirely a good thing.

Gibichung

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oppenheimer Academy Best Picture. Not a surprise.

Personally, I liked Past Lives, Killers, and Zone much better

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it was a fantastic Oscars, personally. It was a great year for movies and most of these awards could've gone a different way and still have been very deserving. Personally I think Oppenheimer will be viewed as one of the great American films (I'm aware Nolan is British) and in the future will be mentioned in the same breath as The Godfather and Chinatown.

Poor Things basically sweeping all the design awards feels right, while Oppenheimer getting most of the technicals seems accurate. Loved seeing Godzilla take the effects award. Bummed for Marty and Flower Moon not getting a damn thing, but it's a tough year. Also bummed that Asteroid City was basically entirely ignored, as I think it's Wes Anderson's best film.

If anyone was curious:

1. Oppenheimer
2. The Killer
3. Asteroid City
4. Poor Things
5. Godzilla Minus One
6. Killers of the Flower Moon
7. Past Lives
8. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
9. Barbie
10. The Holdovers

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also bummed that Asteroid City was basically entirely ignored, as I think it's Wes Anderson's best film.
I liked it more than most I think, but for me it’s not his best. He did win as Oscar this year though for Henry Sugar.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked it more than most I think, but for me it’s not his best. He did win as Oscar this year though for Henry Sugar.
Something about it really grabbed me and resonated. I keep going back to watch it. I think I'm up to 5 viewings now, the most of any movie on my list.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
8. Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves
YES. This is not in any way the kind of film that the Oscars care about, but it was honestly one of if not the best watches I had at the cinema this year. The Saturn Awards tend to cover most of the films I'm more passionate about, but even they barely gave any nominations to D&D. I really feel like this one went underappreciated; I hope it finds its audience over time, maybe becoming something of a cult classic.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
YES. This is not in any way the kind of film that the Oscars care about, but it was honestly one of if not the best watches I had at the cinema this year. The Saturn Awards tend to cover most of the films I'm more passionate about, but even they barely gave any nominations to D&D. I really feel like this one went underappreciated; I hope it finds its audience over time, maybe becoming something of a cult classic.
It actually didn't do that badly at the box office, it was just stupidly expensive so it's considered a bit of a flop. It's doing big numbers on streaming.

That and The Killer were two of the best movies I saw all year and they'd never be considered for anything beyond technical Oscars. Same with John Wick 4, which narrowly missed my top 10 but was still a great film.

Top Bottom