• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've cheated already... 'Boiling Point' is going into my top-5 (out goes 'The Last Duel').

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spirited Away won, and since then 5 other anime have been nominated, all were Ghibli except one, The Red Turtle, which was a collaboration between Ghibli and someone else if I remember correctly.
The Academy has not generally cared about anything animated coming out of Japan, even while professional critics have glommed on to a handful of directors they love. Nothing from Ghibli got any attention until they got picked up for distribution by Disney (from Spirited Away onwards). Between Ghibli, Pixar, and Disney Studios, the animated category is mostly Disney in competition with itself. The Oscars aren't very meaningful for animated features.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the animated category is mostly Disney in competition with itself.

That's certainly true this year (3 out of 5) and last year was 2 out of 5 but before that it's usually been 1 out of 5 (occasionally 2). Similar to the 2015 #oscarssowhite scandal instigating needed change that seems to have come about, this 3 out of 5 year needs to be an #oscarssodisney wakeup call for their ongoing credibility. The problem has historically been more that Disney always get at least 1 nomination and then always win, unless in competition against something critically exceptional and financially undeniable. Of the last 16 years, Spider-Verse has been the only non-Disney/Pixar winner, going back to 'Happy Feet':

- Encanto ('Encanto' wasn't even the best of the three Disney films nominated 'The Mitchells vs. the Machines' was clearly the best film of the year IMO)
- Soul ('Soul' was okay, 'Over the Moon' and 'Wolfwalkers' were better)
- Toy Story 4 ('Missing Link' wasn't perfect but neither was TS4)
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Coco ('The Breadwinner' or the totally unique 'Loving Vincent')
- Zootopia (should've been 'Kubo and the Two Strings', or any of the other 4 noms, including another Disney)
- Inside Out (most did seem to dig that one but I'd have picked 'When Marnie Was There')
- Big Hero 6 (obviously 'The Tale of the Princess Kaguya' was better)
- Frozen ('The Wind Rises' was a masterpiece)
- Brave ('The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists!' was waaaay better)
- Rango ('Chico and Rita' stood out a mile that year but I did like 'Rango' a lot)
- Toy Story 3 ('The Illusionist' was lovely but TS3 was undeniably a great film and worthy winner that year)
- Up (I preferred Disney's own 'The Princess and the Frog' that year)
- WALL-E (can't argue with that one)
- Ratatouille ('Persepolis' was a flawed adaptation of the classic comic, so yeah I have to agree with their pick)
Happy Feet

They need to diversify whoever is nominating the category so you've got professional people that can recognise quality animations from other countries and other studios.

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Of the last 16 years, Spider-Verse has been the only non-Disney/Pixar winner
^Aye, Disney just competing against themselves. The other noms are a patronising pat-on-the-back, usually, but honestly the best-animated films of the year are never even usually nominated. While I think of the Oscars as having some more validity than some other awards due to Editors nominating the Editing award, Sound Mixers nominating their award, and so on, it doesn't seem like animators are the ones whose voices are being heard when it comes to animation. (A lot of your picks are good choices imho, @TM2YC , though honestly many of the Disney/Pixar/Ghibli films are very good films, too. I raged against Zootopia winning, for example, until I saw it...damn good film!)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess it depends on personal tastes, but for me this was a relatively weak year in film. Always stuff to enjoy, to be sure, but I think seeing very different films have success in very different awards shows is an indication of how few real standouts there are. Normally I hate the Oscars for leaving out so many films while heaping awards on just a couple. Well, the nominations are still very limited this year, but I can't say there are a ton of great films left out for once...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess it depends on personal tastes, but for me this was a relatively weak year in film. Always stuff to enjoy, to be sure, but I think seeing very different films have success in very different awards shows is an indication of how few real standouts there are. Normally I hate the Oscars for leaving out so many films while heaping awards on just a couple. Well, the nominations are still very limited this year, but I can't say there are a ton of great films left out for once...

They all missed out two of the best documentaries of the year, 'Gazza' and 'F@ck This Job':

but yeah I can't think of any narrative films that I've seen this year that should've been there. Then again I don't think I've watched all that many new films this year. I've not seen Nope or Northman yet but they seemed to get good reviews and aren't there?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My annual Oscars, Baftas and Golden Globes Letterboxd list: https://letterboxd.com/tm2yc/list/2023-oscar-bafta-golden-globe-nominations/

I've only seen 11 of them so far but I've got 6-weeks to have a good go at seeing them all... and see how close I get.

I won’t see everything as I’m just not interested in everything. But these are the ones I’m targeting still:

Don’t Worry Darling
The Wonder
Bardo
White Noise
Argentina 1985
Triangles of Sadness
The Whale
The Fabelmans
Rustin
She Said
Babylon
Till
The Woman King
Women Talking

I’ve seen quite a few 2022 movies so far, though I’ve been light on docs this year (any suggestions appreciated). This is how I’d rank the movies I’ve seen so far:

The Banshees of Inisherin
Tár
Everything Everywhere All At Once
Emily the Criminal
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Menu
Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Glass Onion
Elvis
See How They Run
Three Thousand Years of Longing
Amsterdam
Nope
Maverick
Windfall
Thor: Love and Thunder
The Northman
The Batman
Kimi
The Adam Project
Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
Bullet Train (didn’t finish)
Blonde (didn’t finish)
Minions Rise of Gru

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They all missed out two of the best documentaries of the year
I'll have to check those out...almost all the docs that even were nominated flew under the radar for me.
but yeah I can't think of any narrative films that I've seen this year that should've been there. Then again I don't think I've watched all that many new films this year. I've not seen Nope or Northman yet but they seemed to get good reviews and aren't there?
Nope has popped up in some podcasts I listened to as 'just missing the list'. I think people felt it was a mixed bag; typical Jordan Peele with a great concept that doesnt stick the landing.

The Northman is very good but hard for me to think where it would stand out in awards...score maybe? Maybe directing? I think the popular conception is that Eggers has already done better, and this was his populist movie (i.e. "we'll award his next niche critical darling instead").

I realized it's not true that I couldn't think of anything: Chip n Dale, Rescue Rangers was honestly maybe the best film I saw this year. So damn smart and funny. But it's an awkward film that doesn't neatly fit into many categories, was released early in the year, streaming only, and is a comedy. In other words: not a snowball's chance in hell of Oscar recognition.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just remembered about this thread, so I've taken the liberty of moving the discussion started in the Letterboxd thread here.

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking back at last winners the academy gets it mostly right -not always but mostly. It would be really cool to see them with in a party setting with fellow movie lovers

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the Oscars fast approaching, I think I’d give my predictions (and hopes). I still need to see The Whale and Aftersun.

For reference, here are my top five movies of the year:

1. The Banshees of Inisherin
2. Tár
3. Women Talking
4. She Said
5. Everything Everywhere All At Once

Best actor in a leading role​

• Austin Butler ("Elvis")
  • Colin Farrell ("The Banshees of Inisherin")
  • Brendan Fraser ("The Whale")
  • Paul Mescal ("Aftersun")
  • Bill Nighy ("Living")

SHOULD WIN: Colin Farrell. He’s just simply great in this movie. To me this performance is what acting is all about.

WILL WIN: Austin Butler. The Academy loves depictions of real life figures and they don’t get much more iconic than Elvis.

Best actress in a leading role​

• Cate Blanchett ("Tar")
  • Ana de Armas ("Blonde")
  • Andrea Riseborough ("To Leslie")
  • Michelle Williams ("The Fabelmans")
  • Michelle Yeoh ("Everything Everywhere All at Once")

SHOULD WIN: Cate Blanchett. Perhaps Blanchett’s best performance ever? And that’s saying something.

WILL WIN: Michelle Yeoh. She’s great in this movie and, while I don’t think it’s as great as many do, I like that something so different is getting this sort of attention.

Best actor in a supporting role​

• Brendan Gleeson ("The Banshees of Inisherin")
  • Brian Tyree Henry ("Causeway")
  • Judd Hirsch ("The Fabelmans")
  • Barry Keoghan ("The Banshees of Inisherin")
  • Ke Huy Quan ("Everything Everywhere All at Once")

SHOULD WIN: Barry Keoghan As you can tell I like this movie. Honestly it’s only between Keoghan and Gleeson for me. But the latter is more a lead performance. Keoghan does so much with his limited screen time.

WILL WIN: Ke Huy Quan ("Everything Everywhere All at Once"). See above.

Best actress in a supporting role​

• Angela Bassett ("Black Panther: Wakanda Forever")
  • Hong Chau ("The Whale")
  • Kerry Condon ("The Banshees of Inishern")
  • Jamie Lee Curtis ("Everything Everywhere All at Once")
  • Stephanie Hsu ("Everything Everywheere All at Once")

SHOULD WIN: Kerry Condon. Broken record? Perhaps. The only reason I’d hold back here is her role is larger than a true supporting role as I said above with Gleeson.

WILL WIN: Jamie Lee Curtis. At least that’s what I hope for if Condon doesn’t win.

Disclaimer: I haven’t yet seen The Whale, though I’ve heard Hong Chau is great.

Best director​

• Daniel Scheinert and Daniel Kwan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)
  • Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)
  • Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)
  • Todd Field (“TÁR”)
  • Ruben Östlund (“Triangle of Sadness”)

SHOULD WIN: Todd Field. For me, it was the most self-assured direction of the year. He was in full command.

WILL WIN: Daniel Scheinert and Daniel Kwan. Seems like the stars have aligned. But Spielberg could still get it as a sort of lifetime achievement for his personal movie about becoming a director.

Best picture​

• "All Quiet on the Western Front"
  • "Avatar: The Way of Water"
  • "The Banshees of Inisherin"
  • "Elvis"
  • "Everything Everywhere All at Once"
  • "The Fabelmans"
  • "Tar"
  • "Top Gun: Maverick"
  • "Triangle of Sadness
  • "Women Talking"

SHOULD WIN: …. Wait for it… drum roll… The Banshees of Inisherin. It’s head and shoulders the best movie of the year for me. Only Tár is in the same league.

WILL WIN: "Everything Everywhere All At Once" It feels almost inevitable at this point. I’d be shocked if it didn’t win. I can’t say I’d be disappointed if it wins as I enjoyed the movie and like to see something so different from the usual Oscar bait win, particularly since this seems to have also resonated with a fairly large audience.

Last edited:

zeonicfreak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm hoping that All Quiet on the Western Front gets best picture. If Top Gun Maverick gets Best Picture that'll shock me. If Fabelmans gets it it's just one more notch in Speilberg belt and wouldn't really surprise me. If Avatar 2 wins im going to jump off a cliff and drown into the depths of the ocean.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm hoping that All Quiet on the Western Front gets best picture.

I'm kinda hoping it wins everything just because I heard an interview with the co-writer/producer Lesley Paterson on BBC radio, after the nominations were announced in January. She's a gold medal winning Scottish Triathlete who decided to option the rights to the book in 2006 (she studied it at school) and had a dream to try and get it made into a movie but needed to keep up with the yearly payments for the option. At one point she was waiting tables at the Oscars to fund the option, remortgaging her house, and at another point she needed the prize money from a Triathlon to make the imminent payment. The day before she broke her arm, so had to compete with just one arm, but still won the race and so paid off the option for that year.

She said there was a possibility Daniel Radcliffe was going to star in the film about 10-years ago (IIRC), so she and her husband had to fly to the US to meet him but they had so little money, they could only afford the return-flight and no hotel. So they walked to his palatial beach-house from the airport (to save on cab fair), walked back to the airport and got straight on the plane back to Scotland (to save on a hotel). She was the only girl in a boys rugby team and suffers from Lyme disease too, as if she needed another challenge to overcome. The interviewer was half-joking that somebody needs to make a movie of her life now. So I want to see her get an Oscar (she got a BAFTA already). Amazing woman!

TELEMMGLPICT000326071301_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq19_bksoKkAoXsLgNYw3aiWxw3TU9pl-MBnhABx1D0xk.jpeg

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Wow, that's awesome. That said, you should listen to Ke Huy Quan and Michelle Yeoh talking about their struggles in the industry too, and how they almost quit (or did, in Quan's case) multiple times because they weren't being allowed to make 'real' movies. I think the story behind and within Everything Everywhere All At Once is a pretty inspiring one, too.

I always want to see wins (and nominations!) get spread out much more than they do anyway, so for me, All Quiet... winning best foreign film and EEAAO winning best picture would be pretty cool.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Wow, that's awesome. That said, you should listen to Ke Huy Quan and Michelle Yeoh talking about their struggles in the industry too, and how they almost quit (or did, in Quan's case) multiple times because they weren't being allowed to make 'real' movies. I think the story behind and within Everything Everywhere All At Once is a pretty inspiring one, too.

I always want to see wins (and nominations!) get spread out much more than they do anyway, so for me, All Quiet... winning best foreign film and EEAAO winning best picture would be pretty cool.
Well, I think it would be a pretty big surprise at this point if that’s not exactly what happens.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Oscars are usually my cut-off point for a year-end list, so as of 12/03/23 this is my Top-25/Bottom-5, in order from great to good and from worse to worst (more or less):

My Top-25 and Bottom-5 movies of 2022

Top 25:

1. Elvis
2. Lynch/Oz
3. Elton John Live: Farewell from Dodger Stadium
4. TÁR
5. Everything Everywhere All at Once

6. Gazza
7. Argentina, 1985
8. All Quiet on the Western Front
9. The Sea Beast
10. The Power of Big Oil

11. Babylon
12. Aftersun
13. The Whale
14. Fire of Love
15. Avatar: The Way of Water

16. See How They Run
17. Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
18. She Said
19. The Batman
20. Beavis and Butt-Head Do the Universe

21. Triangle of Sadness
22. The Banshees of Inisherin
23. The Fabelmans
24. Women Talking
25. Russia 1985-1999: TraumaZone

Bottom 5:

26. Enola Holmes 2
27. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
28. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
29. Death on the Nile
30. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

I watched about another 25 films this year, that were neither good, nor bad, so aren't on the list.

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^How'd you see F@ck This Job? I literally just saw the trailer for it but it still has limited release options...seems like Vimeo rental is the only one for me.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@TM2YC lol. I love movies. I love that people can have such wildly different experiences with the same movies and any and all takes are equally valid. I posted my top five above, but here’s my complete list as of today. On my list your top movie of the year is a slot below your third from worst movie of the year. 🤣

The Banshees of Inisherin
Tár
Women Talking
She Said
Everything Everywhere All At Once
The Fablemans
Navalny
Fire of Love
The Menu
Emily to the Criminal
All Quiet on the Western Front
Triangle of Sadness
White Noise
Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent
Glass Onion
Elvis
See How They Run
Three Thousand Years of Longing
Amsterdam
Nope
Maverick
Windfall
Thor: Love and Thunder
The Northman
The Batman
Kimi
The Adam Project
Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness
Bullet Train (didn’t finish)
Blonde (didn’t finish)
Minions Rise of Gru

For the record, my list transitions mildly enjoyable to not enjoyable around Thor.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^How'd you see F@ck This Job? I literally just saw the trailer for it but it still has limited release options...seems like Vimeo rental is the only one for me.

IIRC it was co-funded by the BBC, so they had it in their long running Storyville strand over a year ago but under the title "Tango with Putin". It's still on BBC iPlayer now, which has made me realise I included it in my list of best films last year, so I might have to have a last minute edit to this year's list.

So out goes 'F@ck This Job?', in goes another BBC Russia doc at no25:

Russia 1985-1999: TraumaZone

All 7-hours are currently somehow on youtube:

Also, here are my Oscar picks (not predictions) just who I think merits the individual awards, based on the available nominations in those categories. My tastes are usually 100% out of whack with the Oscar voters but we'll see:

Best Picture - Elvis
Best Director - Todd Field (Tár)
Best Actor - Brendan Fraser (The Whale)
Best Actress - Michelle Yeoh (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
Best Supporting Actor - Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
Best Supporting Actress - Stephanie Hsu (Everything Everywhere All at Once) tied with Hong Chau (The Whale) (Sorry for being indecisive)
Best Original Screenplay - Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert (Everything Everywhere All at Once) (The operative word being original)
Best Adapted Screenplay - Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson, and Ian Stokell (All Quiet on the Western Front)
Best Animated Feature Film - The Sea Beast
Best International Feature Film - Argentina, 1985
Best Documentary Feature - Fire of Love
Best Original Score - All Quiet on the Western Front
Best Sound - All Quiet on the Western Front
Best Production Design - Elvis
Best Cinematography - Tár)
Best Makeup and Hairstyling - The Whale
Best Costume Design - Everything Everywhere All at Once
Best Film Editing - Elvis
Best Visual Effects - Avatar: The Way of Water (it'll win nothing else but if it doesn't win this, then madness reigns)

Last edited:
Top Bottom