• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Oscars (Academy Awards, Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globes etc)

Although I still have to see a few of the nominated films, most of the results seemed appropriate. I'm a bit shocked over Spotlight winning best picture though. I really didn't see it as a stand-out film regarding any aspect.

ThrowgnCpr said:
Although I still have to see a few of the nominated films, most of the results seemed appropriate. I'm a bit shocked over Spotlight winning best picture though. I really didn't see it as a stand-out film regarding any aspect.

It's one thing to be shocked from a content perspective, but you have to remember that there's nothing journalists love more than movies celebrating journalism. And there's a ton of Academy folks who love to consider themselves journalists.

Haven't seen the film yet so I'm not saying it's not worthy just that journalism movies typically do very well. They also often have a very clear, vile bad guy or entity who it is very easy to unambiguously hate. Stories where the viewer can easily feel the moral high ground typically fare much better with them (again, not that it's a bad thing in a movie, just an observation).

thecuddlyninja said:
It's one thing to be shocked from a content perspective, but you have to remember that there's nothing journalists love more than movies celebrating journalism. And there's a ton of Academy folks who love to consider themselves journalists.

Haven't seen the film yet so I'm not saying it's not worthy just that journalism movies typically do very well. They also often have a very clear, vile bad guy or entity who it is very easy to unambiguously hate. Stories where the viewer can easily feel the moral high ground typically fare much better with them (again, not that it's a bad thing in a movie, just an observation).

I'm not surprised in terms of subject matter, and that is what really drew me to the film. I love Keaton and I love seeing religious institutions exposed for their horrors, so this was a definite watch for me. I was unimpressed by the end though. It was a good enough movie, but this just wasn't that special. Subject matter is important to inform or inspire a movie, but it shouldn't be a means to an end. Oh well...

It looked to me like the Oscars were sponsored by the DNC.

San Francisco Chronicle critic Mick Lasalle makes an interesting point about #OscarsSoWhite:

Let’s look at this century: 12 percent of the best actor nominees — and 20 percent of the winners — have been African American. The black population is about 13 percent. So, not bad. But wait. Let’s look at the numbers for best actress. Only 5 percent of the best actress nominees have been African American, and there has been only one winner (Halle Berry). So does the academy have a bias against black women? I don’t think so. Rather, Hollywood itself has a bias against women, and black women are particularly getting shafted.

The numbers support this: In any given year (counting co-starring roles in which two or more parts are equal), women star in only about 12 or 13 percent of the movies that get made. That amounts to about 50 movies, many of them small, most of them (like all movies) not very good. Of those films, maybe eight contain roles good enough to be even considered for an Oscar. Of those eight, how many star a black actress? One a year? One every other year?

Basically we’re talking about women not getting a chance to make movies that could even be Oscar nominated. This is a bad deal, made yet more painful by the fact that there are wonderful black actresses out there, not just Halle Berry, Octavia Spencer and Viola Davis, but Thandie Newton, Joy Bryant, Regina King, Taraji P. Henson, Carmen Ejogo, Meagan Good, Gabrielle Union, Gugu Mbatha-Raw ... But this is all part of the larger story, which is the heartbreaking waste of female talent in Hollywood, which is not a new story — it has gone on since the 1960s. Solve Hollywood’s sexism problem, and the underrepresentation of black women would (or should) take care of itself.​

Saw Spotlight. Being married to a print journalist, I'm glad to see journalists getting a solid movie focusing on the work they do. The movie kept my interest throughout; the story unfolded in a suspenseful way. And I'm no fan of organized religion and its abuse of humanity in any form. The work done by the Spotlight Team likely prevented the abuse of many more children.

Having said that, I would have gone with Fury Road for best pikcha. Because, you know, car chases and shit.

Since the OSCAR nominations were announced yesterday, I put together an Oscars crib-sheet for myself, listing all the movies featuring in the major categories. If anybody is interested...

Best Picture:
- Arrival
- Fences
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Hell or High Water
- Hidden Figures
- La La Land
- Lion
- Manchester by the Sea
- Moonlight

Best Actress:
- Isabelle Huppert (Elle)
- Ruth Negga (Loving)
- Natalie Portman (Jackie)
- Meryl Streep (Florence Foster Jenkins)

Best Actor:
- Viggo Mortensen (Captain Fantastic)

Best Supporting Actor:
- Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)

Original Screenplay:
- The Lobster
- 20th Century Women

Animated Feature:
- Kubo and the Two Strings
- Moana
- My Life as a Zucchini
- The Red Turtle
- Zootopia

Documentary Feature:
- Fire at Sea
- I Am Not Your Negro
- Life, Animated
- O.J. Made In America
- 13th

Foreign Language Feature:
- Land of Mine
- A Man Called Ove
- The Salesman
- Tanna
- Toni Erdmann

(FYI: It's a list of all unique nominations e.g. 'La La Land' only features once... not 14 times.)

I'll try to see them all before the ceremony but so far I've only seen 4. 'Hacksaw Ridge' is released at the weekend, so I plan on seeing that.

Plus, here are some BAFTA and GOLDEN GLOBE bonus nominations that got ignored by the OSCARS...

Best Film:
- I, Daniel Blake
- Deadpool
- Sing Street

Best Actress:
- Emily Blunt (The Girl on the Train)
- Jessica Chastain (Miss Sloane)
- Lily Collins (Rules Don't Apply)
- Hailee Steinfeld (The Edge of Seventeen)

Best Actor:
- Jonah Hill - War Dogs

Animated Feature:
- Finding Dory
- Sing

Documentary Feature:
- The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years
- The Eagle Huntress
- Weiner

Foreign Language Feature:
- Dheepan
- Julieta
- Mustang
- Son of Saul
- Toni Erdmann
- Divines
- Neruda

Outstanding British Film:
- American Honey
- Denial
- Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
- Notes on Blindness
- Under the Shadow

I've also seen 4 of those.

I think 'La La Land' will pretty much sweep the board (deservedly so) and 'Kubo and the Two Strings' should win in a sane universe.

manchesterbythesea.jpg

I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea, nor do I particularly plan to, but I'm bummed to see it nominated for pretty much everything except my main man Kyle Chandler, currently of Netflix's Bloodline. That guy is awesome, and deserves all the awards. That is all.

Damn I've only seen 18 of the movies nominated in major categories...

You know, it's funny, I've been trying for years now (probably since about 2009) to see all the Best Picture nominees not just before the ceremony, but before the nominees were even announced (I believe I've chronicled some of those struggles in this very thread). It wasn't until the 2013 award season to finally see all the nominees before the ceremony, and it wasn't until just now that I can finally say I saw all the nominees before they were announced. And yet, though I've seen nearly everything worth seeing this year (and I've even met some of the nominees, believe it or not), somehow it's the Oscar race I've followed the least in quite some time. It's a good set of films, just not many that I'm very passionate about.

Here's my ranking of the BP nominees:

1. La La Land
2. Manchester by the Sea
3. Moonlight
4. Hacksaw Ridge
5. Lion
6. Fences
7. Hell or High Water
8. Arrival
9. Hidden Figures

Besides the top three or four, not the films I'd nominate this year but I can't say any of these films are undeserving of recognition. It's a solid set of nominees, whether I agree with it completely or not (and I never do).

Deadpool didn't get nominated for best picture?  What a joke!

Just kidding, I hated it.

TVs Frink said:
Deadpool didn't get nominated for best picture?  What a joke!

Just kidding, I hated it.

Well, Deadpool was good fun to see ONCE in theater, but that's it. 
Watching it a second time would be like asking someone to tell me the same joke twice hoping I'll laugh again.
It is very overrated to me as a movie.

What I should have said was that independent of my personal reaction to it, the idea that it is Best Picture worthy is ridiculous.

Gaith said:
manchesterbythesea.jpg

I haven't seen Manchester by the Sea, nor do I particularly plan to, but I'm bummed to see it nominated for pretty much everything except my main man Kyle Chandler, currently of Netflix's Bloodline. That guy is awesome, and deserves all the awards. That is all.

I liked him in it but his role is very, very small, so I don't think it was ever going to get nominated.

Oscar nominations were announced today so as per usual I've done a crib-sheet of all the films nominated. Starting with 'Best Picture' and then listing any other different films from other categories that were nominated.

Best Picture:
- Call Me by Your Name
- Darkest Hour
- Dunkirk
- Get Out
- Lady Bird
- Phantom Thread
- The Post
- The Shape of Water
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Lead Actors:
- Roman J. Israel, Esq. (Denzel Washington)
- I, Tonya (Margot Robbie)

Supporting Actors:
- The Florida Project (Willem Dafoe)
- All the Money in the World (Christopher Plummer)

Screenplay:
- The Big Sick
- The Disaster Artist
- Logan
- Molly’s Game
- Mudbound

Documentary Feature:
- Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
- Faces Places
- Icarus
- Last Men in Aleppo
- Strong Island

Film Editing:
- Baby Driver

Original Song:
- Marshall (Stand Up for Something)
- The Greatest Showman (This Is Me)

Costume Design:
- Beauty and the Beast
- Victoria and Abdul

Visual Effects:
- Blade Runner 2049
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Kong: Skull Island
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- War for the Planet of the Apes

Best Foreign Language Film:
- A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
- The Insult (Lebanon)
- Loveless (Russia)
- On Body and Soul (Hungary)
- The Square (Sweden)

Animated Feature:
- The Boss Baby
- The Breadwinner
- Coco
- Ferdinand
- Loving Vincent

Bonus Golden Globes films not picked by Oscars:
- The Leisure Seeker
- Battle of the Sexes
- Downsizing
- In the Fade
- First They Killed My Father

So far, I've only seen...

- Dunkirk
- Get Out
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
- The Disaster Artist
- Logan
- Mudbound
- Baby Driver
- Blade Runner 2049
- Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- Kong: Skull Island
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- War for the Planet of the Apes

...so I've got 5 and a half weeks to do a lot of catching up, although some films haven't been released in the UK yet (as far as I know), including 4 of the Best Picture nominations :dodgy: .

However, I might not now watch 'Darkest Hour' after somebody pointed out to me that the voice Gary Oldman is doing for Churchill is exactly like...

(WARNING! Do not read on if you don't want the film totally ruined (especially if you are a Brit who remembers the 80s :D )

...George the pink puppet from TV kids show 'Rainbow'.

=

I know it'll be near impossible to get that Rainbow/Churchill thing out of my head now and still enjoy the movie.

Wonderful to see Logan get nominated for best adapted screenplay. Lead and supporting actor categories were stacked, there was no way Jackman or Stewart were getting noms for it.

If nothing else, I can't wait for the Shape of Water to hit UK cinemas.... When is that, exactly?

I've been catching up with some of the 'Best Documentary Short Subject' nominations.

Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405 (2017)
Fantastic, a must see. The mysteries of the human brain. Artist Mindy Alper, despite complex and debilitating mental health issues, produces extraordinary drawings and large scale papier-mâché works from a place of pure creativity and emotional expression. Her speech patterns are even like a form of expression e.g. "Feeling contestant angersiety" and "I've ended up in the Hospistol". Full short video:

Edith+Eddie (2017)
A rather sweet 95 year-old couple get married late in life but one of the daughters wants to break them up, put the wife in a home and sell their house. It's very depressing and sad. It's like a real life version of 1937's 'Make Way for Tomorrow' which itself was described as "The most depressing movie ever made, providing reassurance that everything will definitely end badly". Full short video:

Knife Skills (2017)
A fine-dining French kitchen setup by a restaurateur who used to be a criminal, in order to train and employ new ex-cons. Sadly with the short run-time only the surface was skimmed of the many people you meet. The most interesting aspect was how traumatised the guy running the show still is, yet putting so much energy into helping others.

Sadly, I can't seem to find anywhere to watch HBO's 'Traffic Stop' short as it's only available to stream in the US. Shame, it looks really good and then I'd "have the whole set" ;) .

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/traffic-stop

The 5th nomination 'Heroin(e)' is on Netflix and is also terrific.

Without being able to see 'Traffic Stop' I'd have to give the ward to 'Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405'.

Neglify's Picks and Predictions --

Best Picture
Pick - Phantom Thread
Predict - The Shape of Water

Best Director
Pick - Christopher Nolan
Predict - Guillermo del Toro

Best Actor
Pick - Gary Oldman
Predict - Gary Motherflippin Oldman

Best Actress
Pick - Frances McDormand
Predict - Frances McflippinDormand

Best Supporting Actor
Pick - Woody Harrelson
Predict - Sam Rockwell

Best Supporting Actress
Pick - Laurie Metcalf
Predict - Alison Janney

Best Original Screenplay
Pick - Get Out
Predict - Jordan Peele or Get the F Out

Best Adapted Screenplay
Pick - Logan
Predict - Call Me By Your Name

^ @"Neglify" is usually the Oscar seer but I hope you're wrong about Gary Oldman (probably not as it's "his turn") because Chalamet, Kaluuya and Day-Lewis were all waaaay better IMO. Denzel was better too but I kinda feel like he has to do something extra special to deserve an Oscar because him on auto-pilot is like most actors on the red-line :D .

I noticed that youtube has an official compilation of most of the animated shorts and all the live-action shorts for just £7.99 (or your local currency) in 1080p, which I thought was a pretty sweet deal for 2-hours of content across 8 short films. I snapped it up and am about to watch:

(You can also buy a separate package with all the animated shorts but it's twice the price.)

Back
Top Bottom