• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Night of Samhain - by Last Survivor - A Halloween fanedit

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
57xcobT.jpg

Original titles: Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Fanedit title:  The Night of Samhain

Studios: Dino De Laurentiis Company, Universal Pictures, Dimension Films, Nightfall, Trancas International, Halloween VI Productions
Faneditor: Last Survivor
Originally released: 1983, 1995
Fanedit release: October 2020
Original running time: 193 minutes approx
Fanedit running time: 118 minutes approx
Cut time: 75 minutes cut
Started edit: June 2020
Finished edit: October 2020

Synopsis and Purpose of Edit:
Both Halloween III: Season of the Witch and Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers could be considered the black sheep of the Halloween franchise.   Halloween III because it doesn’t feature Michael Myers at all and instead centres on the  horrific intentions of a certain Conal Cochran to kill millions of children over America… Halloween 6 because it delves into the reasons why Michael Myers kills and we discover it’s all to do with some druid style cult operating under the evil influence of the ancient rune, Thorn.  Whatever your thoughts on each film, there’s little denying that they stand out from the rest of the series.  Now, for this Halloween, both films collide for a new experience in horror which finally sees Michael Myers enter the world of the Silver Shamrock!

Intention…   I’ve always loved Halloween III, even from the first time I saw it.  For years however, I’ve always wondered how fun it would be to get Michael Myers into the film’s storyline.  Thankfully, when the infamous Producer’s Cut of Halloween 6:The Curse of Michael Myers was officially released, the heavy concentration on the cult aspect of the story naturally lends itself to the similar cult which runs through Halloween III.  Thus, the intention here is to fully embrace the cult storylines of both films to present one night of terror, when the events of HIII and H6 take place at the same time. 

Cutlist:

Too many scenes to breakdown separately… however, one of the key elements to know here is that 99% of the footage used from Halloween 6 is from the Producer’s Cut.  

Emphasis is on driving the narrative forward to embrace and centre on the cult aspect from both movies.  It’s very much about the celebration of Halloween, going back to the traditions of sacrifices etc.   This does mean certain characters are completely cut out of this edit and it means some kills are also cut. 

Halloween 6 has been colour graded to try and match Halloween III as much as possible

Sound replacement work in various scenes

New start and end credit sequences created

Special Features:

Audio Commentary

Technical Details:

16:9 Anamorphic. MP4 
AAC Stereo.
Software used: Vegas Pro 16, Vocal Remover, iZotope RX-7 Audio Editor, PgC Dmux, VirtualDub, DVD Fab.

Special Thanks:

Sophie Welch,  BionicBob, Toodles and anyone who followed the "In the Works" thread on this site.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome!  This will certainly be a Halloween treat!  I'm sure it'll be part of a new Halloween month marathon in the future.  Congrats on finishing it up!

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great job! This month I finally watched Halloween '78 and Halloween '18 and I fell in love with the franchise, I'm looking forward to working through the rest of the films. From all reports Season of the Witch is in the top 3 Halloween films while Curse is generally considered pretty weak. I am very excited at seeing how you combine these two films but I imagine it'll be next Halloween before I get around to it. Congrats on releasing this.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished watching this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
The Halloween 6 stuff I enjoyed more than when I watched it on its own recently. The removal of the family helped, as well as the updated music. It felt more focused and serious. As much as I love Halloween 3, I really didn't mind all of the cuts made to it. The main character there is certainly more likable. The stories don't really directly connect, but they absolutely complement eachother and it all just really works. Absolutely recommend.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Awesome!  This will certainly be a Halloween treat!  I'm sure it'll be part of a new Halloween month marathon in the future.  Congrats on finishing it up!

Thanks Ed... It was a bit of a nightmare to get finished due to the technical problems, but hey, got there in the end ;)

Malthus said:
Great job! This month I finally watched Halloween '78 and Halloween '18 and I fell in love with the franchise, I'm looking forward to working through the rest of the films. From all reports Season of the Witch is in the top 3 Halloween films while Curse is generally considered pretty weak. I am very excited at seeing how you combine these two films but I imagine it'll be next Halloween before I get around to it. Congrats on releasing this.

Cheers Malthus..  Glad to see you falling in love with the franchise.  Whilst there are some dodgy entries in the series, I still hold the entire franchise close to my movie heart.  Only last night I watched Halloween II (1981) for the first time in a number of years and it was the most fun I've had with it for ages.  Season of the Witch is an absolute classic for me and whilst I totally understand the criticism Curse gets, I genuinely have a lot of time for the Producer's Cut.  
jrWHAG42 said:
I just finished watching this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
The Halloween 6 stuff I enjoyed more than when I watched it on its own recently. The removal of the family helped, as well as the updated music. It felt more focused and serious. As much as I love Halloween 3, I really didn't mind all of the cuts made to it. The main character there is certainly more likable. The stories don't really directly connect, but they absolutely complement eachother and it all just really works. Absolutely recommend.

jrWHAG42.. my sincere thanks for your support during the edit and I'm stoked to hear you enjoyed it.  As you say, the stories don't really connect in a direct way, but the fact you feel they complement each other is exactly how I felt this edit could work and I'm so pleased to hear that this worked for you.  Cheers

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LastSurvivor said:
Original titles: Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Out of curiosity, do you have a guess how much of the final 118 minutes is taken from each of the two movies? I'm really looking forward to watching this tonight; I've never seen the Producer's Cut of Curse so this will be a fun way to experience it!

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
LastSurvivor said:

Out of curiosity, do you have a guess how much of the final 118 minutes is taken from each of the two movies? I'm really looking forward to watching this tonight; I've never seen the Producer's Cut of Curse so this will be a fun way to experience it!

That's a good question.. I'm not entirely sure, but I would actually guess it's almost a 50/50 split... well, not that exact obviously - maybe 60/40 in favour of H6 ;)

Really hope you enjoy the edit and have a great Halloween!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was an amazing treat for all of us who watched it tonight. My brother and I are huge Halloween fans. We went back and watched Halloween III and Halloween VI (Have to be honest...I had never watched that one or don't remember) lots of substances mixed into those days. We were surprised at how different the the story lines were in each movie after watching your movie and the manner in which you integrated the stories within each other. I'm watching it again soon. As always, you don't disappoint. Thanks for the heads up on the release. It was well worth the wait.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ArtisDead said:
This was an amazing treat for all of us who watched it tonight. My brother and I are huge Halloween fans. We went back and watched Halloween III and Halloween VI (Have to be honest...I had never watched that one or don't remember) lots of substances mixed into those days. We were surprised at how different the the story lines were in each movie after watching your movie and the manner in which you integrated the stories within each other. I'm watching it again soon. As always, you don't disappoint. Thanks for the heads up on the release. It was well worth the wait.

Thanks ArtisDead... really glad you all enjoyed the edit!  Always brings a smile to my face when I hear other Halloween fans are getting something out of the edit.  Would you mind leaving a review on the edit's IFDB page (once it's listed) - would really appreciate it.  Again, thanks for your kind words.  Cheers

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My thanks to Jimmy Jesus for taking the time out to write a review for the edit on IFDB .  Really glad you enjoyed it... regarding your comments on the H3 footage - yep, unfortunately there are a couple of scenes where the encoding to AVI from DVD had a couple of glitches, causing what looks like slight interference in the picture.  By the time I noticed this, it was near the end of the edit, so my apologies for this.  Hopefully they didn't spoil the experience for you.  Nice to see you noticed the surveillance footage ;)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My sincere thanks to Tipoc, cliffordmoreau and artisdead for taking the time out to submit reviews on IFDB.  To be honest I am a little overwhelmed as to all your kind comments and I must say that you're all far too generous with your scores of 10 for most categories - I mean, Video Quality does not deserve that as there is a slight fault on a few scenes within H3.  But hey, don't get me wrong, I'll take as many 10's that you want to throw my way ;)

Seriously though, I am so pleased that you have enjoyed the edit so much.  It really does warm the heart of this faneditor and I thank you again for making the effort to write reviews.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many thanks to gilhodges for his very kind review for Night of Samhain.  If I have made you like Halloween III Season of the Witch by doing this edit, then I am one very happy faneditor ;)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BionicBob... your reviews are always a pleasure to read, whatever edit you are reviewing - so I would like to thank you for your very kind words.  As you rightly point out, H3 and H6 are very different movies if you look at it from afar... however, I think the strong cult aspects of the stories help bridge them together, and I'm glad to see that this seems to work for you too.  Thanks too for your kind comments reference the commentary - this was a fun one to put together ;)   Oh, and also, thank you as always for your guidance and assistance during the edit - always appreciated.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My thanks to hnahini for your review on Night of Samhain... watching it more than once, I am very flattered - did you listen to the commentary at all... always wondering if anyone does ;)

Thanks again

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A message for modifiedbear... you sent me a PM regarding this edit, but I can't reply to you because you have you private messages disabled.   If you can change this, I will send you a reply ;)

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for the delay in replying, but I'd like to thank @Ryantology for his kind review on Night of Samhain. As a fellow Halloween fan, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. As for... "Cutting the breakfast table scene from Halloween 6 makes sense because you really won't be dealing with Kara's parents. My issue with this is it leaves us only seeing the aftermath of Kara's father hitting her. We see her beaten with a bloody nose but we don't have the context to why that happened. Just made the scene stick out."
Yep, I did what I could to try and cut around the most obvious parts where her nose was quite bloody, but it was impossible to remove all reference to it. I just lived with the idea that we could think, oh well, she obviously suffers from nosebleeds ;)

Ryantology

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You seriously killed it though. Great concept done brilliantly. I forgot to mention one thing I loved. The opening on the TV screen with scenes from all the other movies hit really well. Thanks for sharing such a fun edit.

ThomsThinema

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've not seen this edit yet, but where would this fit into the Halloween timeline? I would assume it would have to stay as part 6?

Top Bottom