• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Matrix Revolutions Decoded Version 2 NOW AVAILABLE

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
article-0-0D6186AE00000578-190_468x610.jpg

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
henzINNIT created a terrific new cover art for "Decoded". Thank you so much to him! I'm pretty terrible with Photoshop and I really appreciate the eye for detail henzINNIT displayed in the creation of this much improved cover.

My pleasure bud. Glad you liked it.

I fear my deteriorating computer will never actually let me watch this in one viewing (it's my birthday today, anyone wanna send me a disc? lol) but I keep coming back and watching new scenes and finding something new to rave about. My mrs is frankly tired of it.

It's quite shocking how cutting this right back actually makes the story more clear. There are more than a couple of scenes that I would never have considered cutting, yet to my surprise the film functions just fine without them. Cutting the second Oracle completely should leave a gaping hole... it doesn't. There's a bittersweet, meta sense of loss having the Oracle die leaving so much un-explained, and it works far better than the underwhelming babble we got from Alice Eve in Revolutions.

I am always torn on the Rama/Sati stuff being axed. It is easily removed, in fact probably easier to cut than it is to keep when trimming these films down. It does serve an important purpose in showing the machines' potential for human characteristics, it's just a damn shame that it's part of such a pointless deviation from the main plot. In the end, you have to go by what serves the story and it doesn't enough to stay.

Zion benefits the most from the trims (as it usually does in edits) and it's a stroke of genius replacing the Neb's return wih the Logos. Not only is there nothing to gain from sending Neo & Co back there in the middle of the story, it gives Niobe a greater sense of importance and more to do, and feels more significant for Morpheus to finally get there at the end having never seen him in Zion.

Stripping back the convoluted "get to the architect" sequence is expertly handled. There was not much wrong with it orginally I suppose, but it is merely an unnecessary hurdle when you view the story as a whole. The characters spend the most part of Reloaded on a wild goose chase to get to that meeting, only to find that it was part of the machines' plan all along. It's kind of dumb to make it such a perilous mission when you think about it. What would have happened if someone important died and Neo couldn't make it?

Locke being a constant douche is thankfully limited, and has the probably most notable additional scene sourced from the video game. Somehow his only scene of tangable humanity appeared in Enter The Matrix, and I was happy to see it here as I was to see it in the previous Jerrick edit. The Logos stuff used at the beginning works just as well as it did in the last edit too.

Smith's path has been cleverly reimagined here, albiet very subtley so. As Jerrick already described, he is more of a bug in this edit and less of a grand villain. Smith essentially accomplishes the same thing of course, though it seems to fit better here as a secondary villain role who is later used as a bartering chip for peace. I mentioned before that I'd miss Bane-Smith... I don't. As with many other plot points in the original films, Bane is a hurdle that ultimately adds very little to the big picture. I will say that I did miss a sense of him conquering the Matrix. It was pretty poorly depicted in the original films too, though I feel that with the footage available there was room for maybe a short montage of him assimilating other people and not just the Oracle. Not a huge deal.

The ending is great. The Zion siege has never been particularly enthralling to me but it works much better here thanks to the edits to the scene itself and the earlier changes that made Niobe feel like a more significant character. I can't believe both Neo and Trinity *spoiler* live *spoiler*, nor can I believe how well that works. The little bit with the Architect during the credits is fun, really simple and works well. My only gripe with it would be the cutting down of Smith and Neo's final exchange. Obviously the Oracle stuff had to go as it no longer paid off a previous conversation, but it felt noticably edited, and Neo's decision to let Smith "win" didn't have room to breathe. I wish "This is the end isn't it?" and "What are you afraid of?" were retained. This is a rare case where less isn't more.

Overall it's a fantastic piece, much much better than what was originally offered. It'd be funny to compile a list of "deleted scenes", because I'm sure there's countless scenes and moments that I have completely forgotten existed.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've finally gotten around to working on the Bluray release this week and I've been looking back on some of the suggestions I've received from those that have been kind enough to write reviews. The Bluray will feature a couple minor improvements and I will eventually get around to applying the improvements to the MP4 and Vimeo releases as well.

These improvements are for the most part minor aesthetics and I'll detail them later but there is one change to the actual film structure that many of you may be interested in. I originally did not want to adjust the Burly Brawl sequence because I couldn't find an edit point that would allow me to remove any of the offensive CGI without harming the flow and escalation of the battle. In particular I couldn't find a way to skip the spinning kick CGI without Neo's pole weapon being lost seemingly by magic. Well having taken another look at it I have found a satisfying edit point.

The edit occurs at 1:26 in the video below. The spinning kick sequence is eliminated as well as the domino sound effect heard when Neo crashes through the Smiths. A couple sound effects have been added to tie the pieces together.

The password is 'decode'

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I hate to see that part of the fight go, but...it works!!! Nice job dude!!

herowoac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks good to me too. Although there is still one domino/bowling sound effect left.
I'd love to see that one go away as well.

It would be nice to see a longer clip showing the entire burly brawl sequence in it's new version as well,
just to get a sense of if and how the new cuts change the feeling of the entire fight all together.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the new cut, I haven't been a fan of any of the human CGI effects in either sequel movie since the initial home video release and I'm glad to see some of it go.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't remove the entire domino effect as there is a noticeable lack of sound if you do that. I just removed most of it and added a bit more collision sound. The fight will be otherwise unchanged. You can watch the streaming version of my movie and then pause it and pick it up with the clip I just posted if you want to get a feel for the entire fight.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's another small improvement that has been developed for the Bluray release. Originally when I would try to render effects changes like this Vegas would immediately crash due to the processing limitations of my computer. But I've finally gotten myself a new box and can now render without complication.

The password is 'decode'

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was a sensational edit, condensing a sound portion of the second movie, and tightening up the muddled third act, rearranging key scenes and stumbling on very creative solutions to what would normally be narrative dead-ends , to create a very different and tighter sequel worthy of the Matrix's initial promise with fans.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
This was a sensational edit, condensing a sound portion of the second movie, and tightening up the muddled third act, rearranging key scenes and stumbling on very creative solutions to what would normally be narrative dead-ends , to create a very different and tighter sequel worthy of the Matrix's initial promise with fans.

Thanks a lot Zarius I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I appreciate the review!

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
These improvements are for the most part minor aesthetics and I'll detail them later but there is one change to the actual film structure that many of you may be interested in. I originally did not want to adjust the Burly Brawl sequence because I couldn't find an edit point that would allow me to remove any of the offensive CGI without harming the flow and escalation of the battle. In particular I couldn't find a way to skip the spinning kick CGI without Neo's pole weapon being lost seemingly by magic. Well having taken another look at it I have found a satisfying edit point.

Ever tried cutting from the first strike with the pole ---> into ---> the shot of Smith on the floor (much later on) when he's knocked through a bench. The action matches well and it would eliminate a huge chunk of the CGI action.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yup, that's exactly how I did it in my edit (check out around 26:30-26:50). I hated the CGI pole Neo. Looks awful. I kept the rest, though, cos I thought it was cool!

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
Yup, that's exactly how I did it in my edit (check out around 26:30-26:50). I hated the CGI pole Neo. Looks awful. I kept the rest, though, cos I thought it was cool!

I liked how you did that in your edit. I agree the CGI pole is bad but if you watch closely, the "real" pole bends like its made from rubber when he kicks it a couple of the Smith clones, for shame :oops:.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That edit doesn't work for me. First he clearly doesn't hit Smith anywhere near a wall so the visual continuity is broken. Second the pole bending doesn't even happen until after Smith is hit through the bench. I haven't seen how dangermouse did it and I'm sure it works fine but regardless I enjoy the pole section and want to keep as much of the fight escalation as possible. I don't foresee cutting any more of the fight than the 2 sections I've cut already.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
That edit doesn't work for me. First he clearly doesn't hit Smith anywhere near a wall so the visual continuity is broken. Second the pole bending doesn't even happen until after Smith is hit through the bench. I haven't seen how dangermouse did it and I'm sure it works fine but regardless I enjoy the pole section and want to keep as much of the fight escalation as possible. I don't foresee cutting any more of the fight than the 2 sections I've cut already.

Your edit is already top notch, no need to make any drastic changes. I was just making an observation about the movie itself, something that the filmmakers should have noticed. Do what you've been doing, cause it works :)

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let's see if anyone who has already seen "Decoded" can figure out what continuity problem I'm fixing this week for the Bluray release.

The password is 'decode'

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
one shot was randomly zoomed in for no reason and the ship passed over the same pipe twice

Nope, here's a hint it is a continuity problem in "Decoded" and not in the original film.

Top Bottom