• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Matrix Revolutions Decoded Version 2 NOW AVAILABLE

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Several shots are zoomed in to reduce the obvious shots of Neo's eye bandage thus fixing a continuity issue very similar to the one I'm working on this week.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
also here,s a few suggestions to improve you edit:

1: at 1:22:22 the new oracles face can be clearly seen

2: at 1:20:05- 1:21:05 remove pointless scene on zion

3: during credits remove scene of NEO waking up, goes unanswered and edit would be a lot longer.

4: shorten burly man brawl to remove bad CGI ( have a few ideas how, when NEO lands for the first time, scene you removed, cut to end of fight of him flying off )

and that,s about it.

KantaKun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey! first of all, this Edit is one of the reasons why I found this community and it was the first one I just saw.
Right off the bat, I'd like to agree with everyone who said this is an amazing edit of the movie and it will outright replace the 2 originals any time I want to enjoy the series again. The editing was especially good for me during the Chateau fight, it was truly seamless.
Here are my 2 cents:
- Like the comment above, 1:22:22 does need a re-crop, since the oracle is seen. (good job on this, by the way. I like that Smith is again monologuing here, and the oracle simply responds with a casual nod. Very characteristic of both of them, so it doesn't seem out of place). There's also a very small continuity error where the oracle is holding a cup and a cigarette in one shot, and then when it zooms out you can only see her hand holding a cig. This might be fixed simply by cropping the 2nd shot similarly to whatever you do to 1:22:22.

- I disagree with the above comment about removing the Kid/Mifune scene. This scene helps establish Mifune as a character. Removing this gives him less screen time, thus making his final sacrifice to open the gates a lot less meaningful since we're not as aware of who the character is. It also gives Kid some more screentime and shows his resolve to play his part in the war. Both characters are 2 sides of the same coin, except one has the authority and power to do what he must and the other does not but is still willing to try. Besides, Shinichiro Watanabe made me care about him ever since Animatrix came out, so I might be biased, haha.

- I like what you did concerning the problem of "How Neo lost his eyes." but it's not flowing well because of 2 simple things: You can see the bandage across his eyes as he's trespassed, and after the cut, the shot is too cold/too blue to read as if what just happened, happened. The second can be fixed with color grading, surely, but the previous shot would have to be a combination of level adjustments + rotoscoping, which might be out of your skillset, which would be understandable.

- The moment when Neo and Trinity breach the clouds and see the sky, does not last long enough, and I understand why. There's is not a lot of usable footage here since it's mostly character interaction and you can't exactly show Neo since he's bandaged. But for Trinity, it's something she's never seen before, and it feels like a good opportunity to throw in the slow-motion that is so present through-out the movie. As it is now:
The ship emerges from the clouds and is already descending by the time you cut to the next shot, which in my opinion isn't optimal, since the next shot is aiming directly at the sun and doing that also leaves you no more sky footage to prolong this very important moment (it's the first time in several years a human has looked at the real sun).
I'd say have it breach the clouds, ease into a slow-motion so you get the equivalent of the time you have now for that shot, but the ship has only made half it's progress (still pointing up), cut to trinity saying it's beautiful, ship starting to descend and then back to Trinity, as you see the effects of that descent with the shadows starting to cover her face in the cockpit.
I'm not sure if this would work as I envision it, and definitely not without making use of some pixel-motion interpolation (like twixtor), but I feel like it's some deserved emphasis on an important moment.

-Finally, i don't know how I feel about the epilogue montage. I'd do away with it in it's entirety, but it's ofc my preference. Also it sets up a weird romance between Niobe and Morpheus that counters what was already made evident at the beginning of the movie between her and Lock, and has neo wake up somewhere in the Matrix, which is weird since it seems to have been destroyed by the architect. (Green color coding is always matrix throughout the series, and it's especially apparent when you have Neo dressed in black like that)

Thanks for your work, I really enjoyed watching it :)

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for all your comments KantaKun, I'm glad you enjoyed the film so much. The final FINAL cut of the film will be out within the next two weeks. I'm finished tweaking and I just need to finish getting the Bluray built. I'll be posting a list of changes in a few days. I'll respond to a few of your comments in the mean time.

I realize that half of the new Oracle's head can be seen in a very short glimpse at one point in the movie. This is done on purpose. I construct my edits for someone who has never seen the original. I know some of my choices can seem strange to someone who has seen the original many many times but I want my edit to not feel like an edit. Seeing half of the other actress's head very quickly in this scene makes it feel (to me anyway) like there wasn't an intentional effort made to cut something from the scene. The other actress resembles enough of the original Oracle that this half glimpse provides (to me anyway) enough of a little visual continuity to sell the edit to the viewer.

I agree with you that the Kid/Mifune introduction scene is important to the movie and is being left in tact.

I agree with you that there are too many instances where you can see Neo's eye bandages in my edit if only for brief instances. I have removed shots of his bandages in 4 places. So this flows much better now in my opinion.

The shot where Trinity looks into the clouds feels just fine to me. The scene does not feel rushed to me. A lot of folks hate this cheesy cloud breach moment as it is, I'd hate to hear all the comments I'd receive if I went out of my way to lengthen this shot :p

I really like the ending montage. I don't mind if some people don't care for it. Whenever you make a change this big you're always going to divide people, but I really think it provides a necessary closure for the characters in the series. I think the Morpheus Niobe relationship grows throughout the film and the hint at the end that it may continue to grow doesn't bother me. Neo waking up in a unspecified white room (or loading program) in The Matrix also doesn't bother me. We last saw him jacked in to The Matrix and we don't know what this ending means for his character. I'm completely OK with leaving this as an open question. I feel like some of the best sci-fi movies use this type of ending to great effect. What happens to The Matrix itself is also an open question although I try and leave the viewer believing that the version of The Matrix we have come to know is crashed and gone. All in all I feel like the montage completes the story in a way that isn't quite accomplished without it. And for what it's worth, I believe it grows on people.

KantaKun

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very well then! I respect all of that. I'll definitely be coming back when the definitive version is released.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The final !FINAL! version of Decoded will be uploaded to Vimeo tomorrow and the bluray will be available to download next week. Here is the list of changes from the currently available release:

The Burly Brawl has received 2 new cuts due to viewer feedback. The first cut removes Neo's spinning pole kick and some of the Smiths domino effect. The second cut removes shots where Neo's pole weapon can be seen bending at odd angles.

The Chateau Fight has been restored in its entirety. This is partly due to viewer feedback and partly to fix a continuity issue where one of the fighters can be seen briefly pinned to a wall in the background from a section of the fight that was cut.

The contrast has been improved in the scenes from "Enter the Matrix" thanks to viewer feedback. Also additional ambiance was added to the 5.1 mix for these scenes.

A new visual effect has been added to the screens in The Architect's room to fix a continuity issue where scenes were shown on screen that were cut from elsewhere in the movie. Now The Architect shows Neo scenes of Trinity from the original Matrix.

4 very brief instances where Neo's eye bandages could be seen have been removed, it's not completely perfect but it's as good as possible

The cut on Trinity's neck that is visible as she flies to the machine city has been recolored black so that it looks like a smudge or part of her hair. Bane does not cut her neck in this edit so this was a continuity error in the previous version.

The shot where Trinity is lying on the floor of The Logos has been flipped to better match the next scene

Instances of frame ghosting have been cleaned up in a few places

A couple very small audio transition/edit improvements

A hidden easter egg has been added to the bluray entitled "The Whole Decoded Affair"

The overall edit has been lengthened by about 1.5 minutes

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ace-sounding updates man, always love it when a great work is improved upon

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's up on Vimeo. Bluray to follow next week.

The password is 'decode'

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One other note, anyone who would like to download the 5GB 1080p .mp4 file that I just uploaded to Vimeo has exactly 4 weeks to do so before Vimeo deletes it. After that only the BD25 version will be downloadable. If you need help acquiring the 5GB Vimeo file just send me a PM.

Edit: Before I get a bunch of messages about this...you want to right click the big file marked as 4GB to download it. If you left click it, Vimeo will try to play it and report it as corrupt. It's not actually corrupt, Vimeo just can't play the file. Also don't download the smaller files because Vimeo has already reconverted those files and replaced the 5.1 audio with 2.0 audio.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
SmellySkunk said:
Download only offers 2GB 720p and 700MB SD files ?!?

You're right I screwed it up last night when I was trying to make it more logical. I'll fix it in a few days when my quota resets.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
You're right I screwed it up last night when I was trying to make it more logical. I'll fix it in a few days when my quota resets.

I don't think you screwed it up. I downloaded the 1080p file from Vimeo last night. :)

Edit: I just checked it again. It still downloads just fine. The guy above might need to register on Vimeo. For me in Firefox, right-clicking on 'Original .mp4 file', selecting 'save link as' does the trick.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stretch009 said:
I don't think you screwed it up. I downloaded the 1080p file from Vimeo last night. :)

It is messed up right now, only the 2GB and 1GB shows as available. You managed to get the big file before I messed it up. It will be available for everyone else on Friday.

stretch009

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
It is messed up right now, only the 2GB and 1GB shows as available. You managed to get the big file before I messed it up. It will be available for everyone else on Friday.

Nope, right at this moment it works in Firefox. I'm d/ling as I'm typing this.

Edit: It shows as available right now in Firefox and in Chrome. You have to be logged in to see the link.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
stretch009 said:
Nope, right at this moment it works in Firefox. I'm d/ling as I'm typing this.

Edit: It shows as available right now in Firefox.

Hmm that's interesting, I'm looking at it in Firefox too, do you have to be logged in with a Vimeo account? I'm testing it when not logged in with a Vimeo account and I only see options to download the 2GB and 1GB version.

Top Bottom