• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Mandalorian (2019)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I do wish the show was skewing a bit more adult, but for me the problem is that certainly the last three, but maybe even the last five episodes could’ve aired in any order. There’s been no story development and no character development. It’s the guest star villain of the week formula. I half expect Rick Dalton to be next week’s villain.

This, coupled with Filoni's penchant for focus-group fan-wank and bad dialogue has left me pretty cold on this show. So far the Jawa episode and Baby Yaddle have been the high points. Here's hoping that Filoni has no involvement in the Obi Wan show.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I do wish the show was skewing a bit more adult, but for me the problem is that certainly the last three, but maybe even the last five episodes could’ve aired in any order. There’s been no story development and no character development. It’s the guest star villain of the week formula. I half expect Rick Dalton to be next week’s villain.

This, coupled with Filoni's penchant for focus-group fan-wank and bad dialogue has left me pretty cold on this show. So far the Jawa episode and Baby Yaddle have been the high points. Here's hoping that Filoni has no involvement in the Obi Wan show.
Well I found Deborah Chow’s episode three to be among the highlights of the series so far. She’s the director for tomorrow’s episode as well. If that one is as good is say it bodes well for the Obi Wan series which, IIRC, she’s the show runner.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I thought this last episode was very good. I see serious potential for a movie version of this by primarily just stitching together episodes 1, 3, 7, and 8. Here’s hoping it gets a physical release at some point.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Well I thought this last episode was very good. I see serious potential for a movie version of this by primarily just stitching together episodes 1, 3, 7, and 8. Here’s hoping it gets a physical release at some point.

Same thought but I'd add parts of episode 2 and 4 to the mix ;)

Unfortunately there's no place for Bill Burr in my potential movie version unless he somehow finds his way into the season finale...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well season one is in the books. I liked it. It strained my patience in the middle with a few too many episodes that really didn’t move anything forward. But in the end I thought it was a good series.

A few spoilers:

Basically the season set things up for a ka-tet (if you’ll excuse the mixed franchises). All of the characters we’ve gotten to know, more or less, are in for next season. We still have the baddie as Moff Gideon, we still have the MacGuffin of Baby Yoda, and we now have some sidekicks I assume will continue to show up alongside the Mandalorian. You had questions answered even if they weren’t questions I particularly cared about. And you had questions unanswered. I was sad to see the IG droid go, but this is Star Wars so “no one is ever really gone” and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s back again. Same with the Ugnaught.

I hope season two has a strong through plot and less villain of the week stuff. I also hope they start to tell confident stories that can stand on their own without Easter eggish jokes and references. Bad stormtrooper target practice only serves to take me out of the story. But anyway, overall the show worked for me. Episode 8 was definitely more adult and I hope that trend continues into season 2.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If and when this comes to physical media so we can do a fan edit, here's a cool alternate version of the theme that someone might want to work in somewhere:

GelflingHand

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:

Definitely. Some of 4 is probably essential as well, though. Personally I'd delete any reference to the kid's age, and eliminate all the use of the Force. It's just an infant - it may have a great deal of potential, but it shouldn't be displaying the ability of a Jedi Master with centuries of experience.

If someone was going to be more creative, a fan edit could potentially redub Mando's dialogue entirely!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, if/when there is a physical release, here's some alternate cover art already! :p

FB-IMG-1577244751297.jpg

Was a bit underwhelmed by the finale - I haven't minded the slow pace so far, but was hoping he'd have to permanently ditch the helmet, per his statement on Planet Marshes. (Guess showing his face to the droid didn't count.) And the ineptness of stormtroopers (not to mention the gang shooting at the pterodactyls) just got old after a while - the speeder troopers' dialogue was hilarious; their inability to hit even a stationary object a few feet away was overkill. Still liked the season overall, but was hoping for a bit more in this last hour.

S1 grade: B

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One thing I’ll say, I’ve been keeping this show from my seven year olds until it was complete. I was okay with them watching until the finale. I don’t think I’d show them the finale. FWIW, they did fine with RoS but had I seen it first I wouldn’t have brought them to that either. YMMV but I thought I’d put that out there for any parents.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved this series.
Some episodes more than others, but overall I'm super pleased.

side note:
I often hear people say that it would be fun to have Tarantino direct a SW movie (although the man is more of Trek fan) and man, that opening sequence with the two biker scout troopers on the last episode felt SO much like a Tarantino scene I really enjoyed it. (glad it was only the opening though, cause that scene in the middle of an episode could have been a bit jarring.)

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I, too, loved the final episode and the series as a whole. A few episodes in the middle weren't that great (4, 5, 6) but they were still enjoyable enough. (besides 5) Although if this were to get a home release and if I were to do an edit on it, I'd probably cut most of those out (all of 5, all of 6, would have to revisit 4 to see if it's worth using - as it would kinda disrupt the 'flow' in feature-length format I think).

Here is my [non-conventional] ranking of the Star Wars canon I've seen.
I rank based on "which one I'd rather watch" (actually watch, not watch 'ironically'), which, to me, is easier than attempting to rank based off pure "quality" or something like that. If someone were to ask "Want to watch one of them Star Wars?", I'd say #1, if they didn't have that, I'd go to #2, then #3, etc...
  1. Return of the Jedi
  2. A New Hope
  3. The Rise of Skywalker
    1. The Mandalorian
  4. The Force Awakens
  5. Revenge of the Sith
    1. The Clone Wars (series)
  6. Attack of the Clones
  7. The Phantom Menace
  8. The Empire Strikes Back (I know, and I'm sorry.)
  9. The Last Jedi
  10. Rogue One
    1. ​​​​The Clone Wars (movie)​​​​​
  11. Solo

So, yeah, I like this show. Looking forward to Season 2. I'm not a big TV guy, especially not "action" shows like this, or anything besides 22 minute comedies, really. But, of the few I've seen, I'd rank this pretty high up.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Loved this series.
Some episodes more than others, but overall I'm super pleased.

side note:
I often hear people say that it would be fun to have Tarantino direct a SW movie (although the man is more of Trek fan) and man, that opening sequence with the two biker scout troopers on the last episode felt SO much like a Tarantino scene I really enjoyed it. (glad it was only the opening though, cause that scene in the middle of an episode could have been a bit jarring.)

Yeah the Tarantino-esque nature of that scene wasn’t lost on me. But I could’ve done without the *wink wink* target practice. I’d love to see someone breakdown the specific references to all the westerns in this series. Clearly this one was referencing Butch and Sundance’s final standoff in Bolivia, but with a Star Wars-esque escape through the sewer/garbage chute. I recognized many specific references throughout the series but I’m sure I missed many more. Anyone know if there’s been a catalog of them? As I said earlier, while I enjoyed the series overall, I think it would benefit from wearing its influences a little less on its sleeve and certainly discarding the winking in-jokes along the lines of the stormtrooper target practice.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the biker conversation was less Tarantino and more Red vs Blue.  Warning: NSFW language.

Okay, having just finished the season I have to say - I'm very impressed.  Besides the great production value, it's a very endearing  show.  I knew a show about a Boba Fett type character would be fun, but I never ever, ever expected it to have so much heart!  That I'd care so much about the characters.  That we'd get fan service - not just to the originals or new films, but to the prequels, special editions, video games, even the holiday special!  This was a show made by people with an unconditional love for all things Star Wars, but with enough new ideas of their own to not be wholly reliant on old ones.   While some of the middle episodes were kinda "bounty of the week," there was still a strong enough arc throughout to keep me engrossed from beginning to end.  Hyped for season 2 already.  Also -

IG-11's story is the best Terminator movie since T2.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I just want to watch through Red VS Blue again*

*Not really again, I haven't watched the entire series, only the first 10 or so volumes, but if I didn't say again then it would imply that I haven't watched any of it, which is very much not true.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is by far the best version of the Mandalorian theme. If there's ever a physical release of the series and someone makes a TV-to-movie fanedit that features some rescoring, parts of this version of the theme should be heavily featured throughout as leitmotifs. I think that it would even blend seamlessly with a partial John Williams rescore.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So now an actual former Jedi who knew Yoda well is going to meet Baby Yoda? And Luke and Leia are still going to be kept in the dark about his existence? Or, does this confirm that Baby Yoda will be one of Anakin Solo's victims?

Or maybe Snoke will kill it himself at some point. Stay tuned! :p

Top Bottom