• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Mandalorian (2019)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Order of best episode to least: 3 > 1 > 2 > 4
I thought episode 4 was pretty weak. The conflit is pretty ridiculous and ultimately nothing happens. Unfortunately they're doing isolated stories that don't have enough time to breathe or create a story that is anything beyond the development of a kids show.
Again, the aesthetic is pretty fantastic, the story is just too ambiguous and unconnected to get overly excited about for me.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"DigModiFicaTion"

I’m with you 100% on your ranking (with the addition of 5 placed under 4) and everything in that first paragraph, although I do think the story is pretty coherent for Chapters 1 and 2, 3 is still there and 4 is where they lose me. I hope they do some more continued storytelling in the closing episodes of this season.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m with you too Dig. I’m fine with episodic stories as long as there’s also something to advance the overall story. That’s happening less and less. My order would be 3 > 1 > 2 > 5 > 4

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked Episode 4, but not 5 that much. 5 was just fan service the episode. Nothing more. At least 2, which I was not a fan of either, had something significant going on with the
baby and the “I have spoken” guy

For me;

3>1>4>2>5

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I fell asleep during episode 5.... Was that Ming-Na Wen?

Ract

Reaction score
Trophy Points
At this point I can safely say that this show doesn't do it for me. It feels too much like a cartoon show. Not a fan of the MotW-formular. I was looking forward to a HBO-style tv show, but what I got was something like Rebels with real actors. There are already three filler epsiodes. The production value is great, though. It really feels like the OT. The soundtrack is probably the best thing about the show.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ract said:
At this point I can safely say that this show doesn't do it for me. It feels too much like a cartoon show. Not a fan of the MotW-formular. I was looking forward to a HBO-style tv show, but what I got was something like Rebels with real actors. There are already three filler epsiodes. The production value is great, though. It really feels like the OT. The soundtrack is probably the best thing about the show.

I was expecting something like that too, which is why I was kinda let down especially with Episodes 2 and 5, but the series seems to be going in that direction. It's certainly not a bad thing, and I can appreciate it. It's just different from what I was expecting. That said, it's high time for Star Wars to get a continuous narrative show rather than a villain-of-the-week. I have a feeling that Kenobi is going to be that show seeing how behind the scenes it started as a movie idea which was turned into a series after Solo flopped. But, you never know...

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
I have a feeling that Kenobi is going to be that show seeing how behind the scenes it started as a movie idea which was turned into a series after Solo flopped. But, you never know...

It's rumored that "The Mandalorian" might be a television repurposing of James Mangold's cancelled Boba Fett movie with the proverbial serial numbers filed off.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I highly doubt we'll end the season without Baby Yoda being delivered somewhere safe, and Mando removing his helmet (which he's said he can then never put back on). A friend of mine speculated he'll put the helmet over the baby to keep him safe in an emergency. Regardless, if both those things happen, the show will probably necessarily become quite different... so I'm good with the episodic, one-off quests (and they're really quests of the week, not monsters) for now.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What were people's thoughts on Episode 6? I really enjoyed the beginning, felt that the middle dragged on quite a bit, and then enjoyed the "ending" (end of the 'story' I guess, but not the episode). Not sure how I felt about that last shot. I'd rank this episode above the last two, but below the first three. So my new ranking is 3 > 1 > 2 > 6 > 4 > 5.

Also, I've seen lots of gatekeeping (not here, on Reddit and other sites, as well as in-person) that people who didn't like the 'filler' episodes (4 and 5 generally) just don't 'understand' what the show is about, and in my opinion this episode pretty much invalidates those as it was an enjoyable episode but was still as much "filler" as the past two, in my opinion (I believe there was certainly elements of all three that will come back, however).

One thing: the purple brother and sister (Qin and Xi'an) really annoyed me. I think, obviously, they were supposed to be unlikable, but to me they were also just not enjoyable. There are "unlikable" characters that are still enjoyable to watch for whatever reason (good acting, humour, some kind of arc, etc.), but these people on screen just didn't do anything but diminish the episode for me. Same way I feel about Nebula in the Marvel movies, and Emilio Estevez' character in The Breakfast Club.

Don't know if I'm a minority here, but all who I've spoken to feel the same way about everything I just wrote, so I feel comfortable in saying it.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked it too. Definitely way better than the last two and I’d probably even put it ahead of episode two. I was actually hoping the middle part would’ve been slower and gone more in the direction of a good heist. If you could’ve had some more private scenes with the sister during a heist you could have some dialogue that gives more insight into the main character’s past. The fact she was a spurned lover certainly provided the opportunity for more character-driven moments.

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Found this out earlier, figured I'd let everyone know:

Episode 7 "airs" WEDNESDAY this week, not Friday. Almost definitely due to the release of The Rise of Skywalker.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
*sigh* this show is turning into a disappointment for me. Not surprising as I don't care for John Favreau 's vision on much of anything.....I just want a good story or episodes that are long enough to tell a quality short story....shaka, when the walls fell...

QuickestEditInTheWest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't help but feel like the show either needs longer episodes, or more serialised storytelling. It's 'monster of the week' style episodes aren't doing it for me honestly. Which is a shame cause I rather like the look and feel of it and the Mandalorian himself.  :-/

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m not as glum on it as that. After the last episode I’m hopeful the previous two were hiccups. But I definitely feel it needs to be a little further over on the ongoing story side of the story-of-the-week/ongoing-through-story spectrum. My guess is there isn’t much there there with regards to what the deal is with Baby Yoda so there’s not much to advance. Even brief scenes in each episode checking in with the doctor (I’m sure they can get The Client for every episode) would help to reveal a little about what BY’s importance is. I don’t need all explained but make me feel like BY is more than an empty MacGuffin.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
QuickestEditInTheWest said:
I can't help but feel like the show either needs longer episodes, or more serialised storytelling. It's 'monster of the week' style episodes aren't doing it for me honestly. Which is a shame cause I rather like the look and feel of it and the Mandalorian himself.  :-/

I wasn't expecting those self contained trope-of-the-week episodes either but I'm still invested and curious how they're gonna end the season. Fingers crossed that they pick up the story (fast) with the last two episodes.

If the guy who checked on the dead sniper in episode 5 is not Carl Weathers, it could be Giancarlo Esposito's character who to me looked like the main villain from the Trailer. Don't know if he's gonna play an Imperial General or some Higher Ranking Guild member but hopefully they'll introduce him in the next episode.

But is it just me or is Mando getting soft too fast. He started out cutting people in half with doors and now he's helping out every stranger he meets :)

QuickestEditInTheWest

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:
If the guy who checked on the dead sniper in episode 5 is not Carl Weathers, it could be Giancarlo Esposito's character who to me looked like the main villain from the Trailer. Don't know if he's gonna play an Imperial General or some Higher Ranking Guild member but hopefully they'll introduce him in the next episode.

I completely forgot he was in this  :-/

Is Mando getting soft too fast? Well... Thats what she said.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Friendly reminder to use spoiler tags as this thread has not been designated as containing spoilers. Vague things like format or general statements about action or story are ok, but we just want to make sure that specifics and/or theories based on plot points aren't spoiling the experience of those who have yet to watch. Thanks :)

Also,
QuickestEditInTheWest said:
Is Mando getting soft too fast? Well... [perhaps this is a better thread for this comment]

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Though I agree this past episode dragged a tad in the middle, I really enjoyed it. (Though as a huge Carnivàle fan, I'm ashamed I didn't recognize Clancy Brown.) The fighting was downright rad, and I didn't even mind the PT-reminiscent battle droids... their presence even becomes a bit haunting if you consider how the Republic/Empire war might have truly decimated the galaxy. And I particularly liked how authentically grimy the performances were; I really believed that these people were total dirtbags. They almost make one think Herzog has a point when he decries the chaos of the post-Imperial era! :p

DonKamillo said:
But is it just me or is Mando getting soft too fast. He started out cutting people in half with doors and now he's helping out every stranger he meets :)

Now that you put it that way... nope, doesn't bother me. Mando's fine with offing self-serving bounty hunters, but a notably young New Republic grunt serving a higher purpose (democracy, law and order) reminds him of his people and their code.

Hymie said:
Apparently Pascal has been in the suit the whole time.  I had assumed that he was simply providing a vocal performance as well but was informed that he is in fact giving a full performance, as it showed him on the set proper.  I cannot remember where the article was but it seemed to confirm as much.

Not according to this article. Pascal has indeed been in the suit, but not nearly the whole time, and not just based on whether stunts are involved.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I do wish the show was skewing a bit more adult, but for me the problem is that certainly the last three, but maybe even the last five episodes could’ve aired in any order. There’s been no story development and no character development. It’s the guest star villain of the week formula. I half expect Rick Dalton to be next week’s villain.

Top Bottom