• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) 2020 Awards are here.

The Mandalorian (2019)

hothstation

Well-known member
Messages
168
Reaction score
13
Trophy Points
23
Moe_Syzlak said:
S2:e1 (or Chapter Nine if you’re nasty) was more of the same which is a good thing.

I was hoping for a Deadwood crossover episode! Hopefully next week we’ll get Al Swearingen. :p Seriously though, I do love Timothy Olyphant and I thought the episode was really good. The already stellar production values seem to be even better. They seem to be taking an episode of the week approach but each one reveals some new bit of information. It’s a fun ride, but my sense is that, like many of the season one episodes, most of the overall plot of the episode won’t matter much in the grand scheme of the story. Still, I hope we see more of Olyphant and he becomes one of the gang.

It appears I am in the miniscule minority that did not like this at all. I felt the show lacked depth and was rather bland.
 

Moe_Syzlak

Well-known member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
165
Trophy Points
63
hothstation said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
S2:e1 (or Chapter Nine if you’re nasty) was more of the same which is a good thing.

I was hoping for a Deadwood crossover episode! Hopefully next week we’ll get Al Swearingen. :p Seriously though, I do love Timothy Olyphant and I thought the episode was really good. The already stellar production values seem to be even better. They seem to be taking an episode of the week approach but each one reveals some new bit of information. It’s a fun ride, but my sense is that, like many of the season one episodes, most of the overall plot of the episode won’t matter much in the grand scheme of the story. Still, I hope we see more of Olyphant and he becomes one of the gang.

It appears I am in the miniscule minority that did not like this at all. I felt the show lacked depth and was rather bland.

No I agree. I think I made that point. It’s more of the same. If you liked the episode of the week format that was most episodes in season one, this one is that, but even better (IMO of course).

My kids were Mandalorian characters for Halloween and we made a short video. Hope you enjoy. Happy Halloween!

 

hothstation

Well-known member
Messages
168
Reaction score
13
Trophy Points
23
Moe_Syzlak said:
hothstation said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
S2:e1 (or Chapter Nine if you’re nasty) was more of the same which is a good thing.

I was hoping for a Deadwood crossover episode! Hopefully next week we’ll get Al Swearingen. :p Seriously though, I do love Timothy Olyphant and I thought the episode was really good. The already stellar production values seem to be even better. They seem to be taking an episode of the week approach but each one reveals some new bit of information. It’s a fun ride, but my sense is that, like many of the season one episodes, most of the overall plot of the episode won’t matter much in the grand scheme of the story. Still, I hope we see more of Olyphant and he becomes one of the gang.

It appears I am in the miniscule minority that did not like this at all. I felt the show lacked depth and was rather bland.

No I agree. I think I made that point. It’s more of the same. It you liked the episode of the week format that was list episodes in season one, this one is that, but even better (IMO of course).

My kids were Mandalorian characters for Halloween and we made a short video. Hope you enjoy. Happy Halloween!


Ha! Happy Halloween.
 

Solemn.Philosopher

Well-known member
Messages
76
Reaction score
4
Trophy Points
13
I enjoyed the new episode, but I was also a bit disappointed when it shifted to a monster of the week type episode. Despite that fact, I still liked its execution.
 

hothstation

Well-known member
Messages
168
Reaction score
13
Trophy Points
23
Solemn.Philosopher said:
I enjoyed the new episode, but I was also a bit disappointed when it shifted to a monster of the week type episode. Despite that fact, I still liked its execution.

In my opinion, it did not feel like Star Wars in the least. It just seemed like a knockoff of what Star Wars should be, which the heaviest-handed critics label anything Disney has produced.
 

Moe_Syzlak

Well-known member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
165
Trophy Points
63
hothstation said:
Solemn.Philosopher said:
I enjoyed the new episode, but I was also a bit disappointed when it shifted to a monster of the week type episode. Despite that fact, I still liked its execution.

In my opinion, it did not feel like Star Wars in the least. It just seemed like a knockoff of what Star Wars should be, which the heaviest-handed critics label anything Disney has produced.

Hmm, I’ve agreed with you both until this. I, too, would prefer more story rather than monster of the week. And that says to me that in all probability there isn’t a lot of there there in this story; Baby Yoda is simply a MacGuffin, most likely, and the why he is in the story is not going to end up as important as the journey. That worked just fine for me in Lost, for example, and so I’m going to enjoy it for what it is. But I felt this episode was much more of what I’m looking for in world building from Star Wars. It’s got some familiar things but they feel organic to the world rather than a winking Easter egg for fans. But it also had the feeling of someone making their own story in this galaxy rather than just a fresh coat of paint on the same old story. In short, it felt like a Star Wars story that could credibly take place in that galaxy without feeling like it has to tick off certain boxes to be Star Wars.
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
18
Trophy Points
68
hothstation said:
It appears I am in the miniscule minority that did not like this at all. I felt the show lacked depth and was rather bland.

I thought the opposite. I thought despite its “villain-of-the-week” structure and simplicity (or perhaps thanks to it), the plot was insightful and relatable with

two peoples coming together for a common goal. The Sand People, though being brutal, can come to an understanding with good communication, and things only come worse when the “good people” refuse to communicate and spit on their traditions. I absolutely loved that, as it reflects problems from our real world today like, say, Democrat vs. Republican, or Israel vs. Palestine. The problem is no one seems to listen anymore, and I loved that this episode gives the message of good communication.

I thought it was derivative (in a wonderful way) from one of Knights of the Old Republic’s best quests, where you have the choice to either genocide an entire tribe of Tuskens (as the corporation that is willing to help you asks of you in exchange for what you need) or try to communicate with them and come to an understanding.

You can even learn the Tuskens’ history and learn that their distrust of invaders are due to the Infinite Empire bringing their lush green planet to rot and ruin, and, guess what, to learn this you have to bring a Krayt Dragon Pearl, and you hunt a Krayt Dragon later to reach your goal inside its cave :D this episode just HAS to be inspired by this questline in KOTOR, and I loved that in addition to making wonderful references to the Mandalorian Wars as well. As far as I’m concerned, and seemingly the creatives at Lucasfilm, KOTOR is still canon :)

^to me that is exactly what Star Wars is about, teaching valuable life lessons through stories anyone can enjoy. The Original Trilogy had that, the Prequels had that, and the Sequels (despite being individually better made movies than the PT) failed to have that because they didn’t have one singular vision driving it

except probably “blood doesn’t define who you are” which is far from a valuable life lesson to me that pales in comparison to the messages in the Prequels or individually The Last Jedi. But I digress

and this episode of the Mandalorian was a perfect example of this. As George Lucas says it’s not about the spaceships

ALSO BOBA FETT IS COMING F YES RETURN OF THE JEDI IS REDEEMED lmao
 

hbenthow

Well-known member
Messages
1,462
Reaction score
45
Trophy Points
53
hothstation said:
In my opinion, it did not feel like Star Wars in the least. It just seemed like a knockoff of what Star Wars should be, which the heaviest-handed critics label anything Disney has produced.

I disagree. To me, "The Mandalorian" (including its latest episode) feels very authentically like Star Wars.

The original trilogy was heavily influenced by Flash Gordon serials, John Carter of Mars novels, westerns, Kurosawa movies, fairy tales, WWII movies, Tolkien books, etc. It wore these influences on its sleeve, and they provided atmosphere and a sort of cinematic shorthand by which various familiar archetypes (Han Solo as an Old West gunslinger, Imperial officers as Nazis, Obi-Wan as a wizard mentor in the vein of Merlin or Gandalf, Leia as a fairy tale princess, etc) instantly signaled what was going on with the story and the characters.

"The Mandalorian" feels as if it is made by people who are not only familiar with Star Wars itself, but also with the things that inspired it, and are thoroughly reverse-engineering Star Wars it by taking influence directly from the things that the original trilogy was inspired by (rather than merely trying to copy the original trilogy without understanding its influences, which is what the sequel trilogy felt like to me).

The latest episode in particular felt extremely "Star-Warsy" to me because of how it drew heavily on some of the things that influenced the original trilogy (especially westerns in this case) and used these influences the same way that the original trilogy did.
 

Moe_Syzlak

Well-known member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
165
Trophy Points
63
hbenthow said:
The original trilogy was heavily influenced by Flash Gordon serials, John Carter of Mars novels, westerns, Kurosawa movies, fairy tales, WWII movies, Tolkien books, etc. It wore these influences on its sleeve, and they provided atmosphere and a sort of cinematic shorthand by which various familiar archetypes (Han Solo as an Old West gunslinger, Imperial officers as Nazis, Obi-Wan as a wizard mentor in the vein of Merlin or Gandalf, Leia as a fairy tale princess, etc) instantly signaled what was going on with the story and the characters.

"The Mandalorian" feels as if it is made by people who are not only familiar with Star Wars itself, but also with the things that inspired it, and are thoroughly reverse-engineering Star Wars it by taking influence directly from the things that the original trilogy was inspired by (rather than merely trying to copy the original trilogy without understanding its influences, which is what the sequel trilogy felt like to me).

Well said. Though I’d argue that TLJ drew from those same influences, Kurosawa, Ford, Leone, Nazis, etc., though to a refreshingly (for me) fresh take on the traditional Star Wars usage.

The main issue will be if they use these elements to actually tell a story worth being told. Something the sequel trilogy failed to do, in my opinion. Or whether they stick the landing and have a legitimate story to be told.

For now, I’m enjoying well told episodic stories. Of course I could be biased because of my kids’ enthusiasm for this show. Though they also love Rise of Skywalker and I ... do not.
 

hothstation

Well-known member
Messages
168
Reaction score
13
Trophy Points
23
I thought I would like it too, having read at least 75 of the books [most are now Legends] and countless comic runs... I just thought the story and its presentation of characters was hollow. Although I do disagree with those who liked it, I wholly respect and appreciate your opinions.
 

Moe_Syzlak

Well-known member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
165
Trophy Points
63
hothstation said:
I thought I would like it too, having read at least 75 of the books [most are now Legends] and countless comic runs... I just thought the story and its presentation of characters was hollow. Although I do disagree with those who liked it, I wholly respect and appreciate your opinions.
Cheers. For what it’s worth, I get it. To me the plot was lacking and way too similar to an episode in season one. But I just felt it was way better done than that season one episode. Plus I just love Timothy Olyphant. I got a strong Rio Bravo vibe from it, though Olyphant’s red neckerchief could’ve had something to do with that.
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
18
Trophy Points
68
Moe_Syzlak said:
hothstation said:
I thought I would like it too, having read at least 75 of the books [most are now Legends] and countless comic runs... I just thought the story and its presentation of characters was hollow. Although I do disagree with those who liked it, I wholly respect and appreciate your opinions.
Cheers. For what it’s worth, I get it. To me the plot was lacking and way too similar to an episode in season one. But I just felt it was way better done than that season one episode. Plus I just love Timothy Olyphant. I got a strong Rio Bravo vibe from it, though Olyphant’s red neckerchief could’ve had something to do with that.

What episode in S1 was that?
 

Moe_Syzlak

Well-known member
Messages
2,430
Reaction score
165
Trophy Points
63
Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
hothstation said:
I thought I would like it too, having read at least 75 of the books [most are now Legends] and countless comic runs... I just thought the story and its presentation of characters was hollow. Although I do disagree with those who liked it, I wholly respect and appreciate your opinions.
Cheers. For what it’s worth, I get it. To me the plot was lacking and way too similar to an episode in season one. But I just felt it was way better done than that season one episode. Plus I just love Timothy Olyphant. I got a strong Rio Bravo vibe from it, though Olyphant’s red neckerchief could’ve had something to do with that.

What episode in S1 was that?

I don’t remember the episode number. Let me put it like this: a group has something Mando wants and feels is rightfully his. Instead of fighting they strike a deal for Mando to take on a nearby beast. Mando defeats beast and gets the desired stuff.
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
18
Trophy Points
68
Moe_Syzlak said:
Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
hothstation said:
I thought I would like it too, having read at least 75 of the books [most are now Legends] and countless comic runs... I just thought the story and its presentation of characters was hollow. Although I do disagree with those who liked it, I wholly respect and appreciate your opinions.
Cheers. For what it’s worth, I get it. To me the plot was lacking and way too similar to an episode in season one. But I just felt it was way better done than that season one episode. Plus I just love Timothy Olyphant. I got a strong Rio Bravo vibe from it, though Olyphant’s red neckerchief could’ve had something to do with that.

What episode in S1 was that?

I don’t remember the episode number. Let me put it like this: a group has something Mando wants and feels is rightfully his. Instead of fighting they strike a deal for Mando to take on a nearby beast. Mando defeats beast and gets the desired stuff.

I think there may be a lot of episodes like that that has the same premise lmao. It wasn't Chapter 2, was it?

with the Jawas

Yeah that one felt like weak filler, at least this time it meant something and had weight to it.

Or was it 4 with the

AT-AT?

I can't even remember Chapter 5 it was so forgettable lol
 

MusicEd921

Well-known member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,626
Reaction score
156
Trophy Points
93
Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
hothstation said:
I thought I would like it too, having read at least 75 of the books [most are now Legends] and countless comic runs... I just thought the story and its presentation of characters was hollow. Although I do disagree with those who liked it, I wholly respect and appreciate your opinions.
Cheers. For what it’s worth, I get it. To me the plot was lacking and way too similar to an episode in season one. But I just felt it was way better done than that season one episode. Plus I just love Timothy Olyphant. I got a strong Rio Bravo vibe from it, though Olyphant’s red neckerchief could’ve had something to do with that.

What episode in S1 was that?

I don’t remember the episode number. Let me put it like this: a group has something Mando wants and feels is rightfully his. Instead of fighting they strike a deal for Mando to take on a nearby beast. Mando defeats beast and gets the desired stuff.

I think there may be a lot of episodes like that that has the same premise lmao. It wasn't Chapter 2, was it?

with the Jawas

Yeah that one felt like weak filler, at least this time it meant something and had weight to it.

Or was it 4 with the

AT-AT?

I can't even remember Chapter 5 it was so forgettable lol

Cara Dune's first episode was Chapter 4, so if nothing else, I feel like Chapter 4 served it's purpose of giving her a small intro to come back to her later.
 

Canon Editor

Well-known member
Messages
1,657
Reaction score
8
Trophy Points
43
Masirimso17 said:
You can even learn the Tuskens’ history and learn that their distrust of invaders are due to the Infinite Empire bringing their lush green planet to rot and ruin, and, guess what, to learn this you have to bring a Krayt Dragon Pearl, and you hunt a Krayt Dragon later to reach your goal inside its cave :D this episode just HAS to be inspired by this questline in KOTOR, and I loved that in addition to making wonderful references to the Mandalorian Wars as well. As far as I’m concerned, and seemingly the creatives at Lucasfilm, KOTOR is still canon :)

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/star-wars-the-mandalorian-spoilers-episode-9-krayt-dragon-kotor/

Looks like Masirimso spotted it well enough!
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
18
Trophy Points
68
Canon Editor said:
Masirimso17 said:
You can even learn the Tuskens’ history and learn that their distrust of invaders are due to the Infinite Empire bringing their lush green planet to rot and ruin, and, guess what, to learn this you have to bring a Krayt Dragon Pearl, and you hunt a Krayt Dragon later to reach your goal inside its cave :D this episode just HAS to be inspired by this questline in KOTOR, and I loved that in addition to making wonderful references to the Mandalorian Wars as well. As far as I’m concerned, and seemingly the creatives at Lucasfilm, KOTOR is still canon :)

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/star-wars-the-mandalorian-spoilers-episode-9-krayt-dragon-kotor/

Looks like Masirimso spotted it well enough!

giphy.gif
 

addiesin

Well-known member
Messages
4,942
Reaction score
267
Trophy Points
103
So the newest episode... (Spoiler so light you could eat it on a diet, but in case you want to know nothing they're concealed, it's nothing that hasn't been making the rounds on tv news sites)

He's told they may find a Jedi but there aren't many left.

End of spoiler. Begin speculation.

Everybody seems to be theorizing they're gonna pay big money to de-age or CGI-rebuild younger Luke Skywalker to be that Jedi, but that doesn't sound cost effective to me for a running show. But they've had a similar situation before, in the EU times. When they've needed someone similar to, but distinct from, Luke Skywalker.

Welcome back to canon, Kyle Katarn? I'm calling it now.
 

Masirimso17

Well-known member
Faneditor
Cover Artist
Messages
1,884
Reaction score
18
Trophy Points
68
addiesin said:
So the newest episode... (Spoiler so light you could eat it on a diet, but in case you want to know nothing they're concealed, it's nothing that hasn't been making the rounds on tv news sites)

He's told they may find a Jedi but there aren't many left.

End of spoiler. Begin speculation.

Everybody seems to be theorizing they're gonna pay big money to de-age or CGI-rebuild younger Luke Skywalker to be that Jedi, but that doesn't sound cost effective to me for a running show. But they've had a similar situation before, in the EU times. When they've needed someone similar to, but distinct from, Luke Skywalker.

Welcome back to canon, Kyle Katarn? I'm calling it now.

Or they could have just cast Sebastian Stan? Even Mark Hamill endorsed him as a younger Luke. Though that would probably mean that Grogu was slaughtered by Kylo and the Knights of Ren so I doubt it ?

Kyle Katarn is definitely a possibility. Some people are also saying it could be Ezra (or someone else from Rebels) which I have no idea how that’d work because I’m still at early S2 of Rebels ?‍♂️... Cal Kestis maybe? I would say taking an animated/video game character people are unfamiliar with is a low possibility, but that’s literally what they did with Ahsoka :D and I think they introduced her and alluded to her past well without being confusing or spoilery of her animated career :)
 

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Messages
1,221
Reaction score
359
Trophy Points
113
Here's a fun trailer for a Mandalorian spaghetti edit. The visual pacing and editing aren't perfect, but the concept is excellent.
I've got nothing against Göransson's score. Morricone's fistful of music simply offers a perfect mash-up.
 
Top Bottom