• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Making of Episode I - The Phantom Menace Documentary

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've just finished uploading the entire docu-series to Youtube, as I've now finished the whole project. Also I don't think I mentioned I settled on "DUELING WITH FATE" as a final title.

Final runtime, is 4hr 58min (including the unused footage epilogue)

HzLnOHR.png

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't know about you, but the link just brings me to the YouTube home page.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching through this. I really enjoyed it, thanks. I think TPM is terrible but the story of it's making is always fascinating. I love Doug Chiang's contributions.

FYI: Part 13 and the unused bonus part are full of missing audio glitches. Clips have no audio, or just some lines and even minutes of silence at a time. Maybe it's just the youtube uploads that have gone wonky?

Also there are several places throughout the doc where the same footage and/or the same lines are repeated. Not sure if that's deliberate? e.g. George indicates on a concept sketch of the Queen that her waist should be slimmer on the costume silhouette. This bit gets shown twice.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm glad you had enjoyed it, and thanks for the tip on the audio mistakes, I'll take those down and reupload them.

I think I showed something like Nick Gillard falling down that slope twice, and something redundant about the battle droids shows up when talking about the Naboo battle. What else was repeated and when? I'd be happy to fix these errors before uploading onto G-Drive.

Doug Chiang really is the creative mastermind behind those first 2 prequels also. sad he didn't come back for EpIII

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks fantastic, Bobson! I was skeptical of the project, since I'd already watched all the DVD stuff, a couple docs, the Star Wars.com stuff and more. And yet, you STILL found sources I hadn't seen!

I haven't watched through the doc series yet, been wondering if you're planning to cut it into one file for a fanedit release on IFDB? Or possibly a two-part film or something? Or is the Youtube docu-series the final form you intended?

Muffy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This series is quality Bobson Dugnutt and thats coming from somone whos not a fan of Phantom Menace.
I noticed you've added a link for a HD upscaled footage version of part 7 only thats longer then the one in the Youtube playlist ?

Also sadly the sound is missing throughout the last unused footage episode 😕

Last edited:

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Project resurrected!

After some time away from the whole thing, I've come back with fresh eyes and armed with even more footage!

TV SPECIALS
Star Wars - The Magic and the Mystery (1997)
Star Wars - An MTV Special (1997)
From Star Wars to Star Wars - The Story of Industrial Light and Magic (1999)
Omnibus S37E09 - A Long Time Ago - The Story of Star Wars (1999)
Dream Weaver - 60 Minutes Australia (1999)
AMC Cinema Secrets - S01E04 - Epic Battles (2000)

DVD FEATURETTES
Costume
Design
Fights
Story
Visual Effects

OTHER DVD MATERIAL
Introduction to Animatics
Podrace Lap 1 - Animatics
Deleted Scenes Documentary

STARWARS.COM WEBISODES
All I Need is an Idea
Assistant Director
Bad Droid Karma
Boys in Paradise
Costume Drama
Home Sweet Home
It’s Like War Now
Movie Music
Prime of the Jedi
This is a Creature Film
Thousands of Things
Three Thousand Anakins
Pickups and Reshoots (Episode III)

OTHER STARWARS.COM MATERIAL
Casting Director
Depth
Interview Outtakes
Naboo Soldier
One Day to Go
Podracing
Something Out of Nothing
Sound
The Fall
Watto

BLU-RAY COLLECTION INTERVIEWS
Darth Maul Costume
Pre-Senate Address Costume
Queen Amidala Senate Costume
Senate Guard Costume
Full-Sized Battle Droid
Jar Jar Maquette
Naboo Starfighter Model
Republic Cruiser
Sando Aqua Monster
Trade Federation Battleship Model
Anakin’s Podracer Model
Dud Bolt Puppet
Eopie with Anakin Maquette
Queens Royal Starship Model
Sebulba Maquette
Sith Speeder Model
Watto Maquette
C-3PO Costume (Episode II)

BLU-RAY INTERVIEWS
Coruscant Overview
Tatooine Overview
Naboo Overview
Rick McCallum Interview - Filming in Tunisia
Rick McCallum Interview - Podracers
Liam Neeson Interview
George Lucas on Preparing to Write Episode I in 1994
Ewan McGregor Interview - Episode II
Blue Screen Acting - Episode II

COMMENTARIES
George Lucas, Rick McCallum, Ben Burtt, Rob Coleman, John Knoll, Dennis Muren, and Scott Squires (2001 DVD)
Cast and Crew - Archival (2011 Blu-Ray)

SW Celebration Panels
Creatures of Episode I with Nick Dudman - Audio Only (Celebration I 1999)
Phantom Menace 20th Anniversary (Celebration Chicago 2019)
Doug Chiang: The Evolution of Star Wars Design - Designing Episode I (Celebration Chicago 2019)

OTHER SOURCES
An Exclusive Interview with George Lucas - Part 3 of 3 - ROTJ VHS (1995)
SW UK Fan Club VHS - Behind the Scenes of Episode I (1999)
The Beginning - Making Episode I (2001)
John Williams talks The Phantom Menace (1999 Interview)
Filmmaking Has Turned A Corner - Widescreen VHS (1999)
Episode II - The Saga Continues (2000 SW LD/VCD Featurette)
SW77 - Cantina Rough Cut (2011 Deleted Scenes)
TPM - Extended Podrace Wager (2011 Deleted Scenes)
Discoveries From Inside - Models and Miniatures (2015)
Conversations - Doug Chiang Looks Back (2015)
George Lucas on the Digital Revolution (2015)
ESB - Hoth Battle Rough Cut (Making of ESB 2015 eBook)
Every C-3PO Costume Explained By Anthony Daniels (Wired Youtube Video 2020)
Light and Magic - Episode 6 (2022)
Obi-Wan Kenobi - A Jedi's Return (2022)

The original 13 part series ran at 4:43, and the current runtime is about 6hrs, so there is a lot of new stuff in here. I'll watch this before release and try to trim it down a bit and make sure there isn't too much fluff. It's running at the same length as the Fellowship of the RIng Appendicies, so we'll see where we end up.

Last things to work in will be the cast/crew commentary, and then I'll do a pass at trimming it down and we'll see how we go from there.

I'm having fun with some on-screen text too which is fun, trying to do a bit of this.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The biggest edition for this latest round of editing, was adding in a lot of Doug Chiang (Design Director) and his panel from SW Celebration, he now additionally discusses his design process, and dives deeper into things like the Battle Droids and Trade Federation, as well as added material in every other section of the doco.

I reccommend watching on it on its own as well.

There's a lot more John Williams too, as he talks about the music theory and crafting specific tracks, and how they relate to the OT. I found an interesting pack of interview clips that I assume were taken from some kind of EPK Tape or something. Incredible stuff, he now has his own section dedicated to the score.

There's further specific discussion of the progression of digital filmmaking, with both the CG Characters, and how George tried to get the industry moving, with this film and leading into AOTC. Episode I was the first film to project digitally, and shot a lot of 2nd unit and additional photography on digital cameras, a first for the industry. Really compelling stuff.

Hopefully that extra 80 minutes is worthwhile enough to go around this monster project again!

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After a lot more editing and consolidating footage and material, I've arrived at a rough cut, running at 6hr 21mins. I'll be watching this over the course of the next week or so, and hopefully that number comes down.

aYgdBEo.png

If any crazy son of a bitch wants to watch the rough cut and provide feedback, let me know and I'll hook you up, but this is hopefully too long and I can cut it right down while finessing the audio/video.

Any thought of maybe taking some of this and just incorporating it into a Making-Of for AOTC? I mean....you've done the other two.... ;)
I shake in fright knowing that I will eventually do AOTC, but ultimately I think it's more relevent to TPM's production than it is the other two, as there is a lot more talk in this one of George moving from analogue to digital, and this film was really the one that shook the boat in that regard.

greenturnedblue

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wouldnt mind previewing it, maybe not all of it but for sure a good chunk

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of my favourite things I've done in this whole TPM thing, which is just talking about Doug Chiang and his process with George and with design. It's so fun combining so many different sources and intercutting everything to tell one story. It's great.

I've watched through my 2nd rough cut, and am now making adjustments, both technical and story-wise to get everything feeling smooth and cohesive, which means cutting and rearranging materials. Right now I've locked Part 1-4, which leaves 5-14. Hopefully it's done soon-ish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom