• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Lost World: Jurassic Park "Reinvigorated"

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the completion of my first edit taking on the 2015 summer blockbuster, Jurassic World, and my in the works "Star Trek: Seeds of Wrath" undergoing many revisions, I thought I would pull back (don't worry, nothings being cancelled) and take on something I have greater interest in.

The year 1997 sought the release of the highly anticipated sequel for Steven Spielberg's masterpiece, The Lost World. It had the return of Jeff Goldblum, the beloved, a brand new island where dinosaurs roamed free, Ingen seeking to re capture John Hammond's flawed dream and bring his theme park to San Diego. While not a God awful film in my own opinion, it's definitely far from perfect and even insulting at a few turns. So, with all that in mind, here below are the proposed changes intended to bring the hated/loved sequel back to life.

-Replace the universal logo with the remastered version, as well as the overture music with various sfx meant to represent Hurricane Karissa (as Hammond mentions later on)
-Overhaul on the dull grey/blue coloring that gives an ugly look, and replace it with a more warm/brighter picture
-Cut the over the top british family back, meaning no fussing or arguing about "snakes on the beach"
-Cut the dull/pointless scene on the boat with the "los cinco muertes" discussion and go straight to meeting sarah
-Removed excessive commentating by Ian Malcom over what is supposed to be a beautiful moment with sarah and the dinosaur
-Cut the whole Stegosaurus attack as it's poorly earned and ruins the previous tone
-Removed as much dialogue from sarah concerning her knowledge of how T rex's run there family or whatever, so she isn't intentionally stupid for leaving her blood stained Jacket on throughout
-Added various thunder claps, rain and T rex sfx where it added a bit more epicness or suspense to a scene
-Reordered the trailer on the cliff sequence for a faster and more intense pace
-Removed any pointless trailer lines spouted off my Malcom
-Removed the arguing between ingen and Malcom's team after the cliff scene since it was their fault to begin with, and to tone down the not so subtle animal rights message
-Cut down Dieter's death by compy's as it begins to just drag on and on, not to mention we don't really have a connection with his character
-Heavily trimmed the gymnastics stunt on the raptor, so before we have time to cringe it's already over with (no "Hey you!")

They'll be a few more trims here and there but that is the basic jist if the project.

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I already have 3 screenshots showcasing the new color grade, hopefully warmer and less drab as described last post-

test.jpg

test_2.jpg

rexy.jpg

rexy_2.jpg

ian.jpg

ian_2.jpg

Please, I'm open to any suggestions on how to up the quality wherever possible :)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Showcasing the new color grade are 6 screenshots below, hopefully pulling off the warmer look intended-

test_zpsjoddco9f.jpg

test%202_zpsmozmrhai.jpg

rexy_zpsjlnjgtxu.jpg

rexy%202_zpsvyorhiab.jpg

ian_zpsfnrmivga.jpg

ian%202_zpsnp0c0scf.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ironman23 said:
Showcasing the new color grade are 6 screenshots below, hopefully pulling off the warmer look intended-

[img=300x100]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q498/jmintz12/test_zpsjoddco9f.jpg[/img]

[img=300x100]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q498/jmintz12/test 2_zpsmozmrhai.jpg[/img]

Growing up in a place that was very foggy and very green, I'd recommend reinstating some of the green in the color corrected picture. The sky looks spot on and the vehicles look good too, but the grass and trees just look a bit off? The grass and trees look a little too yellow to my eyes.

You're brave to take on so many projects at once ;)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Growing up in a place that was very foggy and very green, I'd recommend reinstating some of the green in the color corrected picture. The sky looks spot on and the vehicles look good too, but the grass and trees just look a bit off? The grass and trees look a little too yellow to my eyes.

I agree. I'd also restore some of the blues to the nighttime shots. Some editors seem really anxious to get rid of any signs of the blues and teals common in modern movies, but for many scenes, retaining some of that spectrum is very important. I've mentioned this numerous times on these forums in the past, but just in case you haven't seen:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purkinje_effect

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
ironman23 said:

[img=300x100]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q498/jmintz12/test_zpsjoddco9f.jpg[/img]

[img=300x100]http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q498/jmintz12/test 2_zpsmozmrhai.jpg[/img]

Growing up in a place that was very foggy and very green, I'd recommend reinstating some of the green in the color corrected picture. The grass and trees look a little too yellow. The sky looks spot on and the vehicles look good too, but the grass and trees just look a bit off?

I thought so, I was hoping to get this kind of feedback :) I'll be sure to apply the correct settings as you suggested, thank you!

And I guess I am ha ha, I mean technically ST is awaiting some feedback as I've done all I could. This was something I've been dying to edit ever since I got on here, Jurassic World was a test and now this film's time has come! ;)

First official test clip with color grading, trimmings and added sfx for the trailer over the cliff. It's only a 3 min. clip and the audio mixing may not be complete but it should give a good idea for what I'm trying to accomplish.

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Based on what @"DigModiFicaTion" and @"ThrowgnCpr" have suggested on the recoloring of foggy/night sequences, I made slight tweaks on a previously graded as well as untouched shots, which can be seen with four screencaps below-

city_zpsnqxufvit.jpg

Untouched

city%202_zpsa2qpnm2l.jpg

Regraded

fog_zpskse0dmjp.jpg

First pass grade

fog%202_zpsfnspebxv.jpg

Second pass grade

I also have a few more desired cuts that "came to me in a dream last night" ;)

-Cut the boring and dry scene after it's revealed that Kelly tagged along on the expedition, and go straight to Ian/sarah's conversation in the trailer
-Remove the interrupting exposition on Roland's character during what is supposed to be an exciting and fun chase sequence
-In the aforementioned scene, remove the hokey "aw, feel bad for the dinosaur that got taken down by the evil men and their evil corporation!" bit and turn it into a bit of a gag by having said dino swing around the handlers before cutting away
-Nick Van owen's "earth first" character is heavily reduced. This means no mentioning of "Captain Ahab" or being an idiot for taking Roland's shot gun shells and leaving him to fate all for the "greater good". Roland's first choice of weaponry is now just the tranquilizer.
-Removed any offensive/obvious Godzilla references or over the top gags in the T rex San Diego finale, as well as the entire suburb bit.
-After the transport carrier closes it's cargo doors on the T rex (and John Williams excellent score swells in the background) we continue on that high note and immediately cut to the Jurassic Park theme with the dinosaurs back on Isla Sorna. No more animal right's being beaten over our head!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ might want to label the images, so folks know which is which

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
^ might want to label the images, so folks know which is which

My mistake, just fixed that error so hopefully no more confusion. :D

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
thanks. yes, these are improved :)

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

Ok, here is the potential new opening with all desired changes thus far :)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've compiled together a first version of the action scene taking place with the trailer over the cliff. As usual, I'm open to suggestions, comments and feedback that will improve the overall project :)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quite surprisingly, I already have a first draft of the edit exported with my desired cuts, added tidbits and color regrade. So, as it is always a tremendous help to have feedback, if anyone wants to preview it I'll be happy to PM links :)

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I await feedback on my Star Trek edit, I did a quick snipping and regrade of the San Diego sequence. All uneeded jokes (Godzilla *cough* *cough*) that ruin the pace or the tone have been removed to leave a more tight experience ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds good to me. I didn't notice anything out of place either but did you add film grain? That seems a bit over the top, even in this compressed streaming form.

Pro Tip: Change Dr Malcolm saying "I don't think so" at 01.28 in response to Sarah saying "Ian slow down a little" with Ian saying "Must go faster!". :D

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Sounds good to me. I didn't notice anything out of place either but did you add film grain? That seems a bit over the top, even in this compressed streaming form.

Pro Tip: Change Dr Malcolm saying "I don't think so" at 01.28 in response to Sarah saying "Ian slow down a little" with Ian saying "Must go faster!". :D

Glad to hear :) yes I did add some, just to add a bit more detail but I can always reduce it and uncompress the file.

P.S. I will definitely consider changing the line :D

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apologies for the lack of updates here, guys. Feeling a sense that overall quality was missing from the edit, I went back and overhauled a few key points to ease my worrying, and give the best product that I can. 

So, to make up for the delay I have the first 6 minutes of the opening, everything in it's final state, as well as the official Blu Ray Cover.

2XEmNo4.jpg

Horrifyingly Hillarous

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I love the JP franchise I can't wait to see this one, I wonder if anyone has ever considered doing an edit of JP3 (which was sadly the shortest and most lacking installment imo) maybe just little things like adding more of the JP soundtrack, adding more sfx to the dinosaurs like maybe the classic trex roar etc just little things again I don't mean to go off topic but this got me thinking

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ironman23 said:

I think it's a nice clean and simple cover idea that stand out but there are a few areas that could be improved IMO...

- Make the titles and logos central on the spine
- Make the spine the same blue as the front, or even a totally different blue. The almost-the-same-but-not blue looks odd to me
- Make the title on the front larger relatively to the actors/ironman23 credits, so it stands out more

- Most importantly: The front cover image and main title are squashed horizontally. Always maintain the aspect-ratio of films/coverart/everything.

I've done a quick cut'n'paste mockup of what I mean, if that makes what I'm saying clearer...

31159258964_0e7399e69e_o.jpg

ironman23

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you for making it clear, especially with that example! I'll have the final cover up soon  ;)

Top Bottom