• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Lord of the Rings

I made my peace with noticing the compositing on the Extended Blu Ray set. Honestly I'll gleefully take fixed colors even if I have to grit my teeth and accept an even greater level of mismatch between the live action and CGI. I've been using fan recolored versions of Fellowship for far too long.

Title sequence so er???

The title sequence is okay, but the voice over wasn’t the greatest. I love the writing by Tolkien, but the delivery just seemed forced. But I hope it’s good, as LOTR are my favorite films. I know they won’t match those, but as long as it’s decent, I’ll be pleasantly surprised, just going off of Wheel of Time. Man I hope the costumes actually look weathered in this Amazon production.

Title sequence so er???
They've been filming this for like two years, they can't show us one shot of a person?

I hope this is good, but it's got a lot going against it. It's not tied to the movies, and it doesn't sound like there will be any recognizable characters. And if there is, it won't be the actors from the movies.

it doesn't sound like there will be any recognizable characters. And if there is, it won't be the actors from the movies.
Yeah, one of the actresses was confirmed to be a “younger” version of Galadriel (not like she actually ages but Blanchett is older now anyway so can’t bring her back for a prequel series). I think they are trying to respect the previous films as canon to the film universe of middle earth, but I could be wrong and that might have just been hearsay. But I do believe Howard Shore is at least partially composing, so it’s not completely hopeless.

Also I believe I read that the Tolkien estate put in the contract that they can’t contradict any of Tolkien’s writings, but they can fill in gaps he hadn’t finished by the time of his death. But I also don’t remember where I read that or if it’s true because a lot of the rumors/articles I read were over a year ago.

Yeah, one of the actresses was confirmed to be a “younger” version of Galadriel (not like she actually ages but Blanchett is older now anyway so can’t bring her back for a prequel series). I think they are trying to respect the previous films as canon to the film universe of middle earth, but I could be wrong and that might have just been hearsay. But I do believe Howard Shore is at least partially composing, so it’s not completely hopeless.
I'm just having a bit of trouble caring so far. They need to step up the marketing a bit. For over two years it's just been "this will exist eventually" with no details other than it's second age.

Yeah same. But it is still 8 months away, so they have plenty of time to ramp up marketing.

Yeah, one of the actresses was confirmed to be a “younger” version of Galadriel
I was listening live on BBC radio when she let that one slip :LOL:. Her (Morfydd Clark), Lenny Henry and Peter Mullan are the only names/faces I recognise. Lots of new acting talent which is probably a good thing.

I was listening live on BBC radio when she let that one slip :LOL:. Her (Morfydd Clark), Lenny Henry and Peter Mullan are the only names/faces I recognise. Lots of new acting talent which is probably a good thing.
Yeah, LOTR had a lot of new talent and it had the best ensemble cast of any film imo. Just perfect, so I hope this cast does well too. Just please be better than Wheel of Time honestly.

Yep, that trailer was a whole lot of nothing. Rather disappointing. I hope the series matches up with LOTR, Amazon can do good stuff if they try.

No please! Take it away!

200.gif

In all seriousness, I was holding out hope, but it turned out to be just a fools hope. After the trailer, I did some more reading and looked at all the information Amazon had made available, and the interviews from the showrunners, and I’m extremely disappointed. From firing Tom Shippey, one of the most respected Tolkien scholars, and replacing him with a much less qualified person, truncating thousands of years worth of the second age into a handful, and more things I could go on about. It’s just not Tolkien at its core, and I think it’s just an egotistical power move by one of the richest men in the world to make the most expensive show ever, and what better to adapt than some of the most influential stories in all fantasy? I honestly doubt Bezos has read The Lord of the Rings, let alone the appendices.

As a fan of PJ's movies for last 20 years and someone who've read LOTR in his childhood, I am not interested in this show anymore after seeing that trailer.

I’m having a hard time seeing what’s so off-putting about the trailer. It left me feeling it is an obviously well funded show but gives me no insight into how it will be handled. So I’m still kinda meh on the whole thing. As for the adaptation… it’s an adaptation. If you don’t compress timelines you might as well not do a show. And that’s fine if that’s your stance. But then it seems you’re (not anyone here—the “royal” you) not on board from the get go so of course you’re still not interested.

It's being presented in a fairly generic fashion, and from that it's easy to assume that it's more likely to slot in with a current trend rather than tread its own path stylistically. Having said that, it is indeed a teaser trailer and who knows how it will end up.

It's being presented in a fairly generic fashion, and from that it's easy to assume that it's more likely to slot in with a current trend rather than tread its own path stylistically. Having said that, it is indeed a teaser trailer and who knows how it will end up.
It seems to me to be way more stylistically similar to Jackson’s style than to GoT or any thing like that. Not sure if that’s what you mean by “current trend.”

It seems to me to be way more stylistically similar to Jackson’s style than to GoT or any thing like that. Not sure if that’s what you mean by “current trend.”

I don't see any similarity with Jackson's style. The overdub at the start, the score, the colour grading and the presentation of scenes... bar maybe one or two shots, it all conveys something to me that could easily be any modern fantasy series.

Back
Top Bottom