• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Lord of the Rings: The Journey to Mordor

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Using Extended editions of Two Towers and Return of the King, create a single movie based only on Sam and Frodo's adventure to Mordor. In this fan edit, we would see everything from Frodo and Sam's perspective, so we don't see what happens to Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli, or even Gandalf until the end of the film. Of course, we need some time and space context, so to give the audience an idea of what is really happening aside from Sam and Frodo, Galadriel will narrate a little bit what is happening in Isengard, what Saruman wants to do and what will happen if Frodo and Sam fail.

I think it would have more impact for Frodo and Sam to know Gandalf is alive at the end of the film after so much time believing he was dead. But to give a better closure, the ending(s) would not be modified because it will resolve better the story. So we can see what happens to the other characters.

The Fan Edit would have a length of 3 hours and 1 minute. 2 hours and 40 minutes if we take out the credits. I would do this project because i've always found Sam and Frodo's adventure is way more important than Aragorn or Merry and Pippin (but still, the movies are still epic in their own xD) .

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is this in the works? It's hard to tell from your post.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It is indeed in the works. I began this project like two months ago but I plan to release it in september or October. It will be a different point of view on the Lord of the Rings Story. I will take Two Towers and Return of the King scenes to combine them into a single 3 hours film.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hasmak said:
Looking forward to it;-)

*looks at winky face*

So you're not looking forward to it?

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
By far these are some of the changes I'm gonna make:

-The Story will open with Gollum killing Deagol from Return of the King. I remember I read the production wanted to use the introduction scene from Return of the King in The Two Towers, but they said they couldn't. I'm trying to follow their idea.

-After this, the movie follows Frodo and Sam Trying to go down a mountain. I'm using the Extended Editions of The Two Towers and Return of the King for this Fan Edit, by the way.

-The Scene where Frodo has a nightmare of Gandalf fighting the Balrog was cut.

-The Scene where Galadriel is talking to Elrond has been edited to make it seem like she is narrating what is happening in the story. By doing this, the audience will have an idea of what is happening outside of Frodo and Sam's journey.

-Faramir's Flashback is in this Fan Edit. I find this scene very interesting and gives more depth in this new introduced character.

-The audience will not know what happened to the other characters until THE END of the film. By doing this, it has more impact when Frodo discovers Gandalf, Merry, Pippin, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli are alive.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Project is Almost done. I just need to check all the cuts are right. Basically, this is the list of changes:

-The Fan Edit opens with Gollum finding the ring and killing Deagol.
-Title Card appears after this: The Journey to Mordor
-We then see Frodo and Sam going down a mountain.
-After Frodo and Sam convince Gollum to lead them to Mordor, we cut to the scene where they go to the Swamp.
-After the scene with the Nazguls flying near Frodo and Sam, we go directly to the scene where they reach to the Black Gate. It works perfect because before the scene of the Black Gate, Gollum says "The Black Gate is very close".
-After failing in going to the Black Gate, we cut to the scene where Gollum tries to get food, Frodo and Sam discussing, Gollum fighting his own persona to finally the scene where Frodo and Sam are taken by Faramir.
-After being kidnapped, We see a scene where Galadriel says what is happening outside Frodo and Sam's Quest. Exposition scene to see what is the current situation. The original scene is more like a conversation with Elrond, so I edited it to make it seem like narration. This narration becomes conversation with Elrond when Galadriel says the time of elves is coming to an end.
-Then we see the scene where Faramir and company arrive their lair. Faramir's past scene has been kept to help character development.
-Frodo and Sam are taken to Osgiliath after all of this. Then we see Sam's Speech where we see what is happening on the Battle of Helm's Deep. I decided to keep these scenes without too much modifications to give an idea of some good things beginning to be alright in the Fellowship and Middle Earth. But I cut all Gandalfs bits to make his appearence at the end of the film to give much more impact to Frodo when he wakes up.
-After this, Frodo and Sam are released and then we go to the scene where Gollum is planning kill them. I modified the scene to make the story flow better and connect it to Return of the King.
-Then we go to the scene where Sam and Frodo find that old Statue.
-After this, Frodo and Sam rest and go to sleep. We see Gollum planning to lead them to Shelob.
-Then we go to the scene where Sam and Frodo wake up and continue their journey. Sam gives his part of food to Frodo.
-We cut to Minas Morgul scene and the army going out. I cut every single shot of Gandalf and Pippin discussing what the Witch King is going to do.
-Sam and Frodo begin to climb the stairs after this.
-They decide to rest and then Sam is cast away from the team as in the movie, but then we cut to the scene where he discovers the food in the ground and decides to help Frodo.
-Then we see Frodo going to Shelob's lair. He fights Gollum and gets poisoned by Shelob. Sam comes to rescue.
-Then Sam goes to Mordor to save Frodo and their journey to Mount Doom.
-The scene where Sauron sees Frodo was trimmed to take out all the parts with the armies, Gandalf and the Fellowship.
-Sam and Frodo keep climbing Mount Doom, fight Gollum and then Frodo enters Mount Doom. All the scenes where the Fellowship is fighting the armies of Mordor have been cut.
-Frodo is rescued by the Eagles, but we don't see it's Gandalf until the scene where Frodo wakes up in Rivendell.
-Then everything is the same to keep the conclusion to every character and arc in the story.
-My real name is in the "Edited by" section in Credits.

Here is a sample of my Title Card for the Fan Edit :)

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there a backstory of how and why Sam and Frodo are where they are at the beginning of the movie?

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kellenpure said:
Is there a backstory of how and why Sam and Frodo are where they are at the beginning of the movie?

Actually no because this Fan Edit has been visualized as a Fellowship of the Ring Sequel. When I began with this idea, I thought the best way to start the story was in The Two Towers because Fellowship of the Ring already established characters, motivations and important information of the plot, so this time we can only focus on Frodo, Sam and Gollum. I think it's gonna be awesome :)

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guys, the Fan Edit is now finished. It is going to be released next week, but i can provide you the links to download it if you want. PM me if you are interested :)

Top Bottom