• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Legend of Kate Kensington (2015)

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just learned about this today from an article in the local paper. It's a low-budget, independent film that's being filmed in my county, mostly starring actors from central Florida and using Citrus County locals as extras. You can also check out the official site, Facebook page, and IMDb page.

Spooky film uses Citrus County as backdrop

Ghost story taps into local atmosphere

By Chris Van Ormer

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 at 10:16 pm

INVERNESS — A photograph of a beautiful ghost in the Hills of Rest Cemetery is published on the front page of the Citrus County Chronicle, with reporter Michelle Parsik investigating.

Thus begins “The Legend of Kate Kensington,” an independent film currently in production using so many locations in Citrus County residents will find familiarity with a tale — a ghost story —they have never heard of before.

The legend is the creative work of filmmaker and Hernando resident Brad Castillo.

“It’s his inspiration,” said Castillo’s wife Melony Daemer Castillo, on Sunday during a filming session at Lakes Region Library in Inverness. “He has had this story in his head for a long time. It’s just been developing and it’s something he wanted to do.”

Castillo explained the story.

“It’s flashback scenes from the 1940s,” Castillo said. “Kate Kensington is severely depressed due to the loss of her fiancé who was lost in the invasion of Pearl Harbor. She goes through this great depression. Her parents place her in a mental asylum. While she’s there, she falls further and further into psychosis.”

Castillo scripted “Dunning Mental Asylum” case file notes:

* Jan. 29, 1942 — Kate Kensington admitted because of her severe depression.

* Feb. 3, 1942 — Kate’s 90-day treatment with insulin injections to induce coma is started.

* May 14, 1942 — The insulin treatment was unsuccessful, so electroshock therapy is begun.

* Sept. 26, 1942 — Kate’s depression escalates and she shows signs of schizophrenia.

* Oct. 24, 1942 — Kate is recommended for a lobotomy.

* Oct. 29, 1942 — Kate’s family takes her into their care.

Then, on Oct. 31, “Kate disappears,” Castillo said. “She walks out wearing her wedding dress and is never seen again. There is a massive 22-day search for Kate and not a single clue as to her whereabouts.”

For the next 72 years, Kate’s apparition is sighted near her family’s home and in the cemetery. Many claims are made by esteemed citizens of Inverness. Although the legend grows, no one can answer: “Whatever happened to Kate Kensington?”

“There’s no valid evidence of proof, it’s just people talking, which starts to build the legend,” Castillo said. “Until one night, a local respected photographer takes a picture in the cemetery that shows the ghostly image of Kate Kensington. It blows up on the news.”

The story is told through the actions and experiences of mothers and children.

Michelle Parsik, a reporter, is a mother of two children, Carl and Ashley. She is played by Alison Trado, a Central Florida resident who has made several films.

Carl Parsik is played by Jackson Tessmer of Inverness, who has been acting since he was 4 years old, appearing in four short films, and modeling. The character Carl leads his friends in solving the mystery behind Kate Kensington.

Ashley Parsik is played by Ashley Sperrazza, a Florida resident who has acting and modeling experience and appeared in “Hunger Games” and “Dolphin Tale 2.” Her character watches the younger brother and becomes part of the story.

The other mother is Mrs. Jennings, played by Lisa Arcaro, a talented and experienced actress who has performed in many independent films, commercials, infomercials and print work. Her character is the mother of Hayley, whom she is trying to protect, as they are recent arrivals in Inverness.

“Hayley is psychic, but she doesn’t understand her abilities yet. She’s able to see Kate,” Castillo explains.

Hayley Jennings is played by Hayley Castillo, the filmmaker’s daughter, who has been acting in front of the camera since she was 5 years old. Several of her videos can be seen on YouTube.

Her character has troubling nightmares, which she will confront to discover the truth behind “The Legend of Kate Kensington.”

The story includes several other children characters portrayed by actors Lila Johnson, Karrigan Powers, Cooper Chapman, Nolan Powers and Kinley Rice.

Last week, filming was done at Hernando Elementary School, with about 40 of the pupils volunteering as extras.

Other adult characters include Gerald Wallens, who plays the priest who helps Hayley; Taylor Eve as Jennifer Morris, a patient suffering from mental illness; Nicole Gray as the library assistant who helps Carl Parsik’s research; Michael Radford as Mr. Kern, an eyewitness to the apparition of Kate Kensington; Zac Trenta as Dan Timmons, a news cameraman; and Ryan Doherty, a sheriff’s deputy who responds when children are reported missing.

“So our film is loaded with suspense,” Castillo said. “No gore, no blood. No profanity. It’s a family film that will put you on the edge of your seat.”

The seat you might be on the edge of could be at the old Valerie Theater in Inverness.

“When the renovations are complete, we can show the film there,” Melony Castillo said. “We spoke with Dale Malm and he’s on board with it.”

Meanwhile, the filmmaker is aiming to finish post production in February, with an eye to submitting the film to the Orlando Film Festival next year.

I just saw the first official teaser (which was released on June 7). Here it is:

I haven't posted about this film in a while. Back in October, I got a copy of a free local magazine that featured the film. I just scanned the pages as best as I could today. They interview the writer/director, the actor that plays Kate, and even the guy that did the score. There's also the actual legend* of Kate Kensington.

*It's not an actual legend. It was made up for the film. We don't have any actual spooky legends in our county, because we suck.

front cover:

CCL01.jpg

preview:

CCL02.jpg

poster:

CCL03.jpg

writer/director interview:

CCL04.jpg

CCL05.jpg

actor interview:

CCL06.jpg

The Legend of Kate Kensington:

CCL07.jpg

CCL08.jpg

I noticed this only after scanning it, but I find it very amusing that there's an "Inverness 5" local news station.

*chuckles and shakes head* We don't have our own local news station. We get our news from Tampa. That's the closest city that has news stations. It's around an hour away. We do have a local station with local programming (I think it is based in Inverness, which is around 20 minutes from me; Inverness is the county seat and the biggest city in the county, which isn't saying much, trust me), but it doesn't include news. I guess the filmmakers couldn't get permission to name our actual station.

composer interview:

CCL09.jpg

special effects and world premiere ticket info:

CCL10.jpg

back cover:

CCL11.jpg

This past Friday, in the local paper (which itself is featured in the film), there was another article about the film, saying it would have its "debut"/"premier" at the local Valerie Theater in Inverness from April 29 to May 1 with a total of six showings. The Valerie Theater is an old, local theater that had been renovated and re-opened pretty recently. I've never been there, but I want to attend the screenings. Various cast and crew will attend three of the screenings, so I'm going to try to attend one of those.

http://www.valerietheatre.org/valerie-theatre-events-inverness-florida.php

Since June 4, 2014, I've been following the development of an independent film, "The Legend of Kate Kensington", which was filmed largely in my county and starred mostly local actors (or, at least, from the Central Florida area).

The film had its premiere in Ocala, Florida, last Halloween. The first showing was a "Black Tie Optional" event with cast and crew, dinner, and a concert. It promised a screening of the "Director's Cut". The second showing was "Casual Attire".

I couldn't go to that event. However, this weekend (April 29 - May 1) had another "premiere" in my county. Two showings per day. The second showing on Friday and both showings on Saturday promised various combinations of the cast to be in attendance. I opted for the 7:30 PM showing on Saturday, April 30.

The event was held at the old Valerie Theater in historic downtown Inverness (which is the county seat as well as the primary setting of the film). The theater, which I had been completely unaware of until last year, was a single-screen theater that was built in 1927 during the silent era. Its first screened movie was "The Only Woman". When Elvis Presley filmed "Follow That Dream" in Inverness, the dailies were screened in the Valerie Theater, and Elvis was in attendance. He was invited back for the premiere, but he didn't attend. From what I've read, he didn't miss much. Audience members kept interrupting the movie by pointing themselves out. The theater's last screened movie was "The Untouchables" in 1987. It then closed and sat vacant. Someone purchased it to turn it into a hardware store or something, but that never happened. The city purchased it in 2009, and renovations eventually began. It opened last June and now mostly shows live performances, specialty films, and old films. It's also available for rental.

So I showed up around an hour early to purchase my ticket. Various actors from the film (as well as the composer) were outside, mingling with whoever showed up and getting their pictures taken. Here are mine:

DSCF0910.jpg

From left to right, Melony Daemer (Kate Kensington), me, one of the child actors (I don't know which one, unfortunately), and Edward Harrison (Dr. Robert Kensington II, Kate's father). Standing off to the right is David McDivitt (William H. Mahler, Kate's fiance).

DSCF0911.jpg

DSCF0912.jpg

From left to right: David McDivitt, me, Alison Trado (Michelle Parsik, a local news reporter; more on that below).

Also present early on before leaving was the actor that played the Methodist minister near the end of the film. He seemed to be taking pictures with a camera for a bit but left way before the film started. I don't know his name, and IMDb isn't helpful, because it credits an actor playing a priest, and there are two ministers in the film, probably neither of which are priests.

We went into the theater at around 7:00 PM. The end of my (unusually long) ticket was torn off. Wow, I'd completely forgotten that's what used to be done.

We went into the actual theater, which has a maximum occupancy of 150. The seats are all on the same level, and I didn't realize until this morning that that's why the heads of the people in front of me were blocking the screen. The audience was mostly old people (the woman seated in front of me had an oxygen tank).

There was an on-stage introduction by one of the actors from the film. She went through the usual stuff (silence cell phones, don't record, etc.). Also, the Inverness City Council voted this weekend as "Kate Kensington Weekend" (although she might have announced this after the film; I don't recall).

The best way that I can describe the genre of this film is "Christian paranormal thriller". Points for creativity, I guess.

The backstory involves a young woman from Inverness, Kate Kensington, getting engaged to William Mahler, who's in the military and off to fight in World War II. The goodbyes between them are so heavy-handed that there's no doubt that this dude is gonna die. Sure enough, Kate hears over the radio that Pearl Harbor has been attacked. William is killed. Kate falls into a depression. Her family sends her to a mental hospital for treatment (including electroshock therapy). Finally, after no progress is made, her family brings her home to the family estate (which was filmed in Micanopy, Florida, in Alachua County, which is two counties northeast of us). One day, Kate puts on her wedding dress, goes to visit William's grave, buries her engagement ring, goes down a trail to a dock, and commits suicide by jumping into the water. She then immediately comes out of the water as a...ghost? Ghoul? Zombie? I have no idea. This is one of the many problems with the film: Kate is seen too early and way too often, and there seems to be no logic to who can see her and who can't.

The make-up work on Kate is pretty good, though. And I think a black-and-white effect was applied to her, since she looks way pale.

The bulk of the story occurs around Halloween of 2015. A young girl from North Carolina (the house scenes were filmed in Sautee Nacoochee, Georgia; not sure about the exteriors), Haley Jennings, has the Shine, er, I mean visions. She keeps seeing a missing local girl that she's never met before. She's confused by them, and her mother, Diane, is worried. After a visit from her dad in which he reveals Haley predicted Diane's husband's death six months before it happened, Diane takes Haley to the police station (which looks like a conference room in a hotel) to meet with detectives. Haley gives them info that helps them crack the case, finding the redneck that killed her (or caused her death by chasing her until she fell into a river; I'm not sure).

Diane meets with her minister to discuss this. The minister goes on about how the Bible warns against clairvoyance (never mind that the Bible is filled with "visions" by supposed prophets), and this is where the film starts getting preachy. However, Diane points out the good that has resulted from Haley's ability.

Later, Diane decides a fresh start is needed for herself and Haley, and she chooses Inverness, Florida. Someone asks her "Why Inverness, Florida? It's such an obscure town." That got a laugh from the audience.

Diane and Haley move to Inverness. Haley adjusts to this way too easily. They meet their neighbors, Michelle Parsik and her kids, Ashley and Carl. Michelle is a news reporter at Inverness 5, the station that covers all of the news in Citrus County. Yeah, bullshit. We don't have a local newscast. We have a local station, WYKE-CD (channel 47), a low-powered digital station that offers a mix of religious and general programming - but no local newscast. Our news is covered by Tampa. I guess the writer created this fictitious station, because he wanted a reporter character, and a newspaper reporter simply wouldn't do.

I should note the acting quality of the kids varies wildly. Carl's actor is surprisingly good and funny. The actor that played Haley's cousin in North Carolina, by contrast, is godawful.

Anyway, the legend of Kate Kensington lives on with numerous alleged sightings over the decades. Needless to say, Haley starts having visions of Kate.

One night, an officer of the Inverness Police Department is patroling the "historical district" of Inverness. The old courthouse (which is now a museum) is seen, and so is the Valerie Theater. This got a laugh from the audience, and it was definitely a surreal moment. How often can you say you watched a movie in the theater that was depicted in that same movie?

Here's another artistic liberty by the film's writer/director/producer: Despite being one of two incorporated cities in the county, Inverness doesn't have its own police department. It relies on the Citrus County Sheriff's Office (which is also mentioned in the film, but it's unclear if it's depicted in action, perhaps in the past). The uniforms and patrol cars are half-assed, merely saying "Police" and not mentioning Inverness at all (although I don't think the law enforcement agency was named at all in the film).

Anyway, the cop finds a vagrant wandering around the nearby Hills of Rest Cemetery, which I'm surprised to learn is real. The sign in the movie looks fake. Anyway, Hills of Rest is in neighboring Floral City (despite its name, it's not an incorporated city), so the film is squishing the geography a bit. I'm not sure why Hills of Rest was chosen as Kate's fiance's resting place, since Inverness has plenty of cemeteries. Maybe there's a historical reason behind it. I dunno. IMDb lists both Floral City and Orlando as filming locations for the cemetery scenes.

Anyway, the cop tells the vagrant, who claims to be out on his nightly walk, to confine his walks to the "historical district" (no one calls it this, by the way; the sign reads "Historic Downtown Inverness"). Before the vagrant leaves, he sees Kate and takes a picture. At least, I think he's the one that does it.

The picture winds up on the front page of the next day's edition of the Citrus County Chronicle, which is our actual newspaper, and they even got a prop front page made for the film.

That morning, the DJ of the (fictitious) local radio station, Dandy Dave Wright, discusses the article and the legend of Kate Kensington and takes calls.

Haley, Carl, and another schoolmate (I forget her name) go to the local library (which would be Lake Regions Library, I guess, although it isn't named, but I assume the scenes were filmed there) to investigate Kate's disappearance and the subsequent sightings. Yeah, no, there's no way that three elementary school kids would be researching a local ghost legend if it's not part of a school assignment, and they certainly wouldn't be going to the library to look through books and (way-too-detailed and convenient) video archives from the 1940s. One of them goes on Google and searches for Kate Kensington, and she then goes to some truther website, which is such a great lesson for kids, ain't it?

Um, let's see. There's also a nighttime scene where another police officer (played by the woman that introduced the film) busts two teens for driving through Hills of Rest Cemetery. Before that happens, the boyfriend, Marc Trento, has to take a piss, and the girlfriend, Angela Tilly (I think that's her name), sees Kate while he's away. When he gets back, she just wants them to get out of there.

There's also Michelle reporting on the Kate Kensington sighting and interviewing kids.

Haley eventually abandons her research, not wanting to have anything more to do with Kate or the visions that she's receiving (which includes being present for moments in Kate's life in the 1940s). Carl and the other girl decide to continue, and they go to Hills of Rest Cemetery to search for Kate.

After a lengthy vision of seeing Carl and her other friend in danger, Haley tells her mom and then goes off on her own. Diane calls Ashley and has her check on Carl and the other girl, who aren't there. Diane calls the police, realizes Haley is missing, and then goes off in search of her.

Haley goes to Floral City United Methodist Church (I'm not sure why there, since there are closer churches in Inverness, unless that was the only one that agreed to let them film) to pray for guidance, and here's where the film gets preachy again and loses any thin semblance of realistic dialogue. Up to this point, the film's dialogue, particularly for the children, was unrealistic. You can tell an adult wrote the screenplay. The kids don't talk like normal kids; they talk like adults, using an unrealistically impressive vocabulary (that no one calls attention to). In the church scene, though, Haley recites an entire psalm in prayer as she asks God for guidance. Then a minister shows up and discusses Haley's problem with her. He basically tells her that her clairvoyance is a gift from the Holy Spirit, and she shouldn't be afraid of it (this surprised the heck out of me).

Diane shows up (somehow), and she and Haley hug it out. I might have missed some dialogue, but Diane then convinces Haley that there's no one else there. I think the film was trying to make us believe the minister was Jesus. There was no other reason to cast someone that looks like a biker. Anyway, it turns out that the minister was just sitting in another row and listening in, and then he stands up and gives a scene-chewing blessing (I seriously expected him to vanish after this).

By the way, the church is actually headed by a female pastor (who doesn't wear a robe or collar).

Diane and Haley head for Hills of Rest Cemetery, where Carl and the girl believe they've found Kate, but it's actually a mentally ill woman that's also dressed in white (I believe this wasn't forecast in the slightest). She chases them with a knife, and they exit the woods. Diane, Haley, the police, and others are waiting. A cop gets the woman to drop the knife at gunpoint, and he cuffs her and puts her in the back of his patrol car. Haley (and probably everyone else) see Kate. Haley gives her an empowering, spiritual speech, and then William's ghost (dressed in his service uniform) comes out of Heaven to take her with him.

The others hug it out. The End.

So the morals of the story? Suicide is okay, and freaky-deaky psychic powers are awesome!

After the movie, the woman from earlier as well as the guy that played the DJ brought a lot of the cast up front. The writer/director/producer waved from the balcony behind us. We were told to tell our friends to come and see the film. Kate's dress and William's service uniform were on display in the front-right corner of the theater, near the stage.

We then lined up to choose one of two movie posters (either Kate or Haley; I chose Kate) and have the cast autograph them. One of the girls complimented me on my Zelda shirt.

DSCF0913.jpg

DSCF0914.jpg

This morning (Sunday), the morning after seeing this movie that represents my county, while at work (Walmart), I was informed police were outside the store, confronting a trespassing drunk woman that was no longer allowed at the store. Later, I watched as a redneck dad hit his little daughter and then threatened to "slap the shit" out of her for crying. He dropped an f-bomb for good measure. Citrus County, y'all!

So now I'll discuss various aspects of the movie.

Technical Specifications: 16:9 HD. Probably digital, not film. It looks like a made-for-TV or Netflix original movie. Sometimes, the camera moves ever so slightly during still shots.

Audio: The music is too loud and overpowering at times, and sometimes it's used inappropriately, such as loud, pounding music playing during a scene in which Haley finds a forgotten computer printout on the floor under her bed. There are three original songs according to IMDb, although I remember hearing only two. The opening theme is a country song that tells the legend of Kate Kensington, and it was surreal to hear Citrus County name-dropped. The closing theme (they didn't play the entire closing credits, so maybe that's where the third song was) was some Christian song.

Setting: It was nice to see a movie filmed and set in my county, but Inverness and Floral City were the only acknowledged locations. My town and all of the other places went unmentioned.

Acting: Clunky and unnatural. The actors' delivery is painful at times. They sound like they're reciting their lines, and sometimes they stumble over their lines (sometimes correcting themselves) and keep going. I felt embarrassed for the actors at times and sometimes avoided looking at them on the screen. Retakes. Learn to do them.

Dialogue: Unnatural. I kept thinking "Kids don't talk like this!" or "No human being talks like this!" - particularly during the church scenes, which consisted of a lot of Bible quoting and Haley in emotional turmoil.

Script/Editing: Repetitive and redundant. How many times do we have to hear William telling Kate that he loves her? Or Kate listening to the radio broadcast of the Pearl Harbor attack? How many times do we have to see flashbacks to moments from earlier in the movie? A lot of trimming could be done.

Pacing: Lathargic. I checked my cell phone while waiting in line for the poster. It was 9:32 PM. Assuming the movie started on time, it was probably a bit less than two hours long, but it felt like three hours. Goddess almighty. I saw the guy seated in front of me check his watch.

Editing: Generally competent, but I sometimes got lost during the flashbacks/visions.

Audience reaction: applause but not cheers.

My final thoughts? I don't regret seeing it. It was an interesting and possibly once-in-a-lifetime experience. Does it have its problems? You better believe it. But it also has a surprisingly non-judgmental message (for a Christian film) about psychic powers and suicide, which I appreciate and agree with. Will I fanedit the shit out of it if it ever hits home video? Hell yes.

Teasers and trailers:

wow, impressive write-up, MM.

how does the pastor know the clairvoyance is a gift from god? and not from a demon or a nonreligious wizard?  :D

ssj said:
wow, impressive write-up, MM.

Thanks. :)

ssj said:
how does the pastor know the clairvoyance is a gift from god? and not from a demon or a nonreligious wizard?  :D

Good question. Another thing that I forgot to mention is the pastor as well as someone else in Florida are aware of the case of the missing girl in North Carolina, which seems implausible.

On March 1, the official music video of the theme song to the movie was posted, so maybe that's a sign that a wider release of this movie is forthcoming?

Apparently, the movie is streaming on Vudu and Amazon Prime. I have Amazon Prime but haven't checked it.

However, an official YouTube channel called EncourageTV posted it six months ago:

Back
Top Bottom