• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Leftovers

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
New HBO show about the aftermath of an event that mysteriously caused 2% of the world's population to vanish. It focuses on a NY suburb and the "survivors" coping with life. The trailer is awesome and has definitely piqued my interest. Series premieres Sunday night. I will definitely be checking it out.

Is it 2% vanished?
Or 2% who remained?

Vultural said:
Is it 2% vanished?
Or 2% who remained?

2% vanished. Yeah it doesn't sound like much, but it's the population of the world. And obviously for story telling purposes, a good chunk of people in this town disappeared.

When I first heard about this, I thought it was going to be a LEFT BEHIND-type series, but this sounds much more interesting.

Has anyone read the book it is based upon???

Plot will depend on who vanishes.
Meth user or dentist?
Car mechanic or tanning booth operator?
Telemarketer or plumber?
Politician or pole dancer?

This thread is making me hungry.

The special "making of/inside look/behind the scenes" that HBO released helped me get a feel for what's going to happen over the course of the season (pretty sure it's posted on HBO's youtube channel). Still, that was a strange friggin premiere if I ever saw one. I will keep watching though.

I'm torn on this one. I liked it quite a bit, but I just don't buy all the doom and gloom and lack of interest in living three years after the disappearance. And feral dogs running loose through the cities? I don't know... it just seems too apocalyptic for such a small percentage of people to have gone missing.

Q2 said:
I'm torn on this one. I liked it quite a bit, but I just don't buy all the doom and gloom and lack of interest in living three years after the disappearance. And feral dogs running loose through the cities? I don't know... it just seems too apocalyptic for such a small percentage of people to have gone missing.

FYI, re: feral dogs

I'm pretty sure those aren't real.

A few weeks ago I got my wife, who quit after episode 5 or so in the first season, to watch season 2 with me, because in magical moment she actually believed me that this was the best show I had watched in 2015, even better than my favorites TWD and GOT. It was great watching this incredible season 2 again. What a ride. What magic. I loved every second of it. Some things actually get better.

boon23 said:
A few weeks ago I got my wife, who quit after episode 5 or so in the first season, to watch season 2 with me, because in magical moment she actually believed me that this was the best show I had watched in 2015, even better than my favorites TWD and GOT. It was great watching this incredible season 2 again. What a ride. What magic. I loved every second of it. Some things actually get better.

I keep hearing this. Can I ask what you liked about season 2 compared to season 1? I only made it through two episodes and stopped watching thinking "this is well-made but I'm not getting any enjoyment out of it." I heard great things about season 2 but I'm curious what it was that turned it around (for some folks).

well, the show basically reinvented itself by starting in a new place. The first episode has no known character from season one until the very end. The mood switched from ultra serious and depressing to almost David Lynch mystery style including playfulness, humor and mockery of the audience. In season 2 things are not what they seem. Also in this season it gets pretty clear from the beginning that the search for answers is not the main concern, but to deal with what has happened. Or would
the demon Azrael
 (mild spoiler) satisfy you as an answer? From what I remember the story moves hardly forward in the first 5 episodes but is told from a different perspective each episode. It is all about perspective, beautiful storytelling and masterful acting. Episode 8 of season 2 is named "International Assassin" and quite a few people out there consider it the best episode of TV ever made. This episode is a wild and weird ride you would not expect.
What season 2 does is, it surprises and takes you on an unexpected and very interesting journey. It is intense.
Hardly ever was I so excited about the next episode right until the finale, which was great, especially when it did not turn out the way I expected it. Sing Homeward Bound with me.

Resurrecting an old thread as Seasons 1 & 2 are currently less than $10 each on blu-ray:

Amazon link - Season 1

Amazon link - Season 2

The premise seemed interesting enough for me to blind buy these at this price. Anyway watch all 3 seasons? Like it?

I loved the show. It felt like a smarter and more mature version of Lost. I know a lot of people hated how that show ended but I wasn't one of them. This felt like they learned their lessons from the criticism that followed Lost's series finale.

I never saw 'Lost' but only because it seemed a bit overwhelming in terms of number of seasons and mixed reviews. 'The Leftovers' sounds like a slow-burning show I could get into and, at only 3 seasons, more manageable to me right now.

It is slow burning but builds to a great finale.

Back
Top Bottom