• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Lecter Variations

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Boon23, I'll probably watch the .avi and grab the dvd later then. :)

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I never had any intention of watching this film, but I have faith in you Boon.

darthwagner

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is very professionally done edit, great work , boon.
But, small thaugt for good old Dino: for my taste, it is a perverse idea, trying to make more money (greed rules) by making a prequel about a really sick person, a psychopath and a killer, putting him into a skin of an exeptionally good looking young man and justifying his deeds trough a funny explanation of a difficult chidhood - you know, this is a cliche, so well known that we made jokes with it in the high school when we were 16 years old as soon as somebody made something weird. "He surely had a difficult childhood" was the joke.
Well, for which sort of people was such expensive film originally made? And for what purpose? Can someone explain that??????? Is a combination of cruel sadism and young male beauty perticularely desireble for teenage girls or all gay people or what? How sick one has to be to invest how many-?- 50 mil to make this? Maybe all single pathologists in the world like it? Dino, Dino.... what has become of you? Maybe a psychiatrist could help?
Sorry Boon, I had to get rid of this because it's really hard to like this movie as an Idea. Admire your work though.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hehe, no problem, DW. From what I know from the extras of the DVD Dino De Laurentiis was convinced people wanted to watch more Hannibal Lecter, so he by himself decided to give them the "origin of evil story". He forced Thomas Harris to write the novel with these words: "I own the rights. Either you write me a book or I find someone else to do it."
I think this explains A LOT, why the movie was the way it was. And you are right, the movie has a deep sense of sadism all over it. The presentation of beauty mixed with extreme cruelty is obviously thought of as a means to shock some more. I am rather glad they did not include the even worse scenes they filmed, like Hannibal really eating the cheek shishkebab and the audience watching it from the front.
The problem is that people "like" Hannibal from Silence Of The Lambs. they find him sympathetic. It's Thomas Harris magic to present psychopaths and killers that way. The best example is the tooth fairy in RED DRAGON. When you read the book, you have a deep understanding and sympathy for Francis Dolarhyde, even though he is a mad monster. And with his games and his intelligence and his teasing, people fell for Hannibal the cannibal and thereby invented a new form of art: to truly enjoy cruelty when it's mixed with style.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dino is not sick. he just wants to make money.
and the idea is not even original. like it or not audiences want monsters.
Pretty monsters, ugly monsters, alien monsters, old monsters, undead monsters, hell even car monsters and puppet monsters.

its just a thrill ride motivated by one thing. lets say it all together:
money.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The audio commentary with Heinrich and me speaking all the time about the movie, about other movies, about other things is finished and it's become real funny. Now I can get this DVD finally finished.

More to come soon.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sweet. i think i am looking forward to that commentary most :)

Heinrich

Reaction score
Trophy Points
what?s the status sweety pie?

the masses want to hear my sexy voice in the audio commentary!

had to level up your titan quest character some more???

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nah, I am still on it.
All Bonus Features are finished, I am now inmidst DVD authoring. This will be kind of nice. :)
...and I should be able to finish the project today.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow great news!!! looking forward to seeing this DVD ...and hearing the commentary :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I doubt you will be able to listen through the entire thing, but if you do, you will for sure know a lot more than you EVER even wanted to know. About the movie, about Germans, about Heinrich's penis, about fanediting, about boon being girlish, about music and everything else.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I forgot to tell you about the later (very very tiny) additions I made. ;-)
It's for the greater good, my friend. :D

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am about to.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
updated first post with links to the DVD.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched this last night and although I watched it to the end I can't really say I enjoyed it. The problems where nothing to do with CBB's edit but with the original material he was trying to improve.

Firstly, it felt as if to much was given to creating a rational for Lector, almost as if his crimes are excusable because he was so emotionally scared in his formative years. Lector is a monster, that is what I though, most certainly not a hero!

The film quickly falls into the realms of a cheap James Bond caper. Lector kills with honor, saves the girl and kills the monstrous villain. Rhys Ifans campy performance also had a lot in common with an over-the-top Bond villain. The need for him to be so much more of a monster than Lector is a serious mistake and so any subtlety is left firmly at the door.

The main motivating force of Lector is revenge. Can it really be so?

My main gripe was that there is absolutely NO logic behind the killing of Hannibal's sister as there was a load of fresh meat frozen to perfection outside the door. 4 Russian soldiers, a German Stuka pilot and Lector's parents should have been enough to make a good stew for all to enjoy until summer came around?

Finally, Gaspard Ulliel. I found it hard to forget the authoritative performance of Anthony Hopkins and saw little of its influence on the performance of Gaspard. I think that this was due to Gaspard's strong french accent and Hopkin's perfect, almost Shakespearian pronunciation.

On a positive note this edit is much better than the original. The production design and period feel is also very good.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what can I say... about everything you write is true. It just is. Still I am a huge Hannibal Lecter fan and could not let this piece of utter trash pass without at least trying to make it a bit watchable. It was possible for me to get rid of all the as you so fittingly say, LOGIC in "Hannibal", which I still think is greatly improved by my fanedit. For Hannibal Rising this was not possible. They wanted Hannibal to have a reason for what he is doing. It is way not the reason that I had in my mind and maybe sometimes I will write it all down, my own Hannibal Begins story of a genius, annoyed by society, not able to find real pleasure or excitement in the common life, but being strangely fascinated by the mind of the human being, especially shock and fear.
Personally and also judging from the previous comments, I think that my fanedit of Hannibal Rising puts this movie into the "watchable" category, which makes me more than happy. The set decoration was awesome for this movie and it is a pity I did not have more alternate material for it. And I still think that Gaspard Ulliel's performance was great.

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is far more watchable, absolutely and far better but the themes which you are left to play with are ideologically incorrect for what Hannibal Lector should be.

Gaspard is good in this. He has a sinister quality and is amiably arresting but I always imagined Lector as having a faultless command of most European languages, which could explain his avoidance of capture. Gaspard's strong French accent simply did not imply a Genius as Lector is supposed to be.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think language was the main problem for the entire movie. The decision to let everyone speak "bad" English was another step towards ruining this movie.

Top Bottom